Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • great winter riding jacket
  • coconut
    Free Member

Just a quick heads up. Been using a Karrimor Alpiniste jacket this winter and it easily beats >£200 + cycling jackets. Totally windproof, very warm and has a really nice high neck line, long arms… just a great buy at £44. This is better than most Gore jackets and Endura etc. It is not really waterproof but thats to only down side.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-alpiniste-soft-shell-jacket-mens-443551?colcode=44355191

footflaps

I still have their original Alpiniste fleece jacket, circa 1995, somewhere…..

thomthumb
    Free Member

shame its mike ashley

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Following my recent purchase of a decathlon forclaz 600 fleece, I found that in combination with a windproof top, it would have to be near freezing or below to wear it.

coconut
    Free Member

Well the jacket is made in China and sold by Mike Ashley of Sportsdirect. Could be worth checking where all your bike parts are made 😉

It is good for Autumn and mild days as well, use thin base layers not a fleece under it 🙄

iainc

Which Gore and Endura ones did you compare it to, and in what ways was it better ?

coconut
    Free Member

This gore jacket:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear-element-windstopper-softshell-jacket-1/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360774512&kpid=5360774512&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Clothing&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7csvc9EoFD4_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090791662%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360774512uk

better in that it is 1/3 the price, warmer and has a higher neck line so keeps you warmer.

I worked out doors all my life and this jacket is certainly no wonder, but for the price it really is a good cycling jacket. Just a unpopular logo.

iainc

Thanks, I got the Gilet version of that Gore one a few months ago when it was £30, but it didnt fit so I sold it on. Currently using an Endura Wind-chill which will need replaced soonish, hence asking.

jam-bo

Your not really comparing like for like. Have you actually tried that gore jacket?

But I’m glad you like your jacket

coconut
    Free Member

Yes I own the gore jacket as well. They are very similar = Both soft shell jackets, both similar designs, colour, materials, cut, both polyester.. etc.

thorpedo

Check the quality of the Zips. In my experience that is where corners are cut and can result in failure after a few months use.

coconut
    Free Member

No zips are great, they go up and down, even after 5 months use. But thanks.

I must come clean here… the zips were also made in China and not hand stitched in the mountains of Italy.

fifeandy
    Free Member

I agree that gore is overpriced – you’d be mad to pay full price for one when there is so much competition in the market now.

The £45+5p&p for the jacket you linked is about what i’d expect to pay for most softshells as they are so popular now that 50% off is almost the norm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘great winter riding jacket’ is closed to new replies.