Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Great North Run spectator parking
  • craigxxl
    Free Member

We are going to cheer on the wife’s cousin as she completes her Great North Run. We are wanting to give her some support in the last half at various points so taking the bikes to get ahead of her on the route to the finish.
    I don’t know the area at all so could anyone recommend where we could get parked around the Tyne Tunnel section of the route bearing in mind how busy it will be?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do you need to be in Newcastle? Hexam, Morpeth or Metro Centre gives you metro rides in

craigxxl
    Free Member

Mike, I was hoping to avoid public transport as I expect it to be jam packed with the sheer numbers of people at the event, which would probably stop us taking the bikes on board. Prefer to park up towards the middle of the route then just the bikes to get around on.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Craig

Just a thought, but it’s a point to point route, so you’ll be following the route by bike, rather than cutting corners off to beat the person you’re following.

Look out for a fat lad in a Sunderland Strollers vest and give me a wave.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Oh,

Bikes can’t get on the Metro either, and there’s no Metro at the Metro Centre,

craigxxl
    Free Member

Cheers Paul, I didn’t think the Metro would allow bikes on with how busy it will be. I’ll give a special look out for you and give you a cheer. We were hoping to go down the streets running parallel to avoid the crowds and get in front again.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’d be tempted to park in the main car park at South Shields and then ride to where you want to be, as a general rule of thumb, EVERYWHERE will be heaving!

jonba
    Free Member

Big carpark at Heworth Metro which is on the C2C cycle path so you can ride along the river.

If you are going to ride then it will be much easier to park on the Newcastle side. You could try the Cycle hub carpark and then ride over the millenium bridge past the baltic and join the C2C riverside path. Easy ride, part of my commute!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Great North Run spectator parking’ is closed to new replies.