Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Great kids books.
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Obviously everyone likes The Gruffalo, however I (and my daughter) love The Fish Who Could Wish and the The Dog Who Could Dig. And she absolutely loves Scaredy Squirrel.

Any other good ones for kids under 8ish…?

j_me
    Free Member

“Look out Suzy goose” is the current favourite.

carlosg
    Free Member

Have you read any of the ‘Winnie the Witch’ series of books? my son (5 1/2) loves them . they’re all illustrated by korky Paul the same guy who did the pics for The Fish Who Could Wish and the The Dog Who Could Dig.Also along the same lines are ‘Professor Puffendorf’s secret potions’ and ‘Captain Teachums buried treasure’

+1 for Suzy Goose (HONK/ROAR)

What about Dr Seuss.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

My 8 year old son has loved the Beast Quest series since he was 6 or so. He still enjoys the ‘…Love Underpants’books with his younger brother (4) and sister (3). The Dinosaurs one went down particularly well.

Helen Cooper’s books are favourites too and Pumpkin Soup is a particular fave.

Also well worth looking at are Benedict Blathwayt’s Little Red Train books.

Of course episodic reading of classics like Wind in the Willows, Grimm Bros, American Psycho etc can’t be beaten.

bassspine
    Free Member

A Lion at Bedtime,
    anything by Shirley Hughes
    8 is old enough for Swallows and Amazons

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Shirley Hughes

+1 (particularly for girls, natch)

EdwardH

Sir Charlie stinky socks goes down well in our house, also “Who’s on the loo” I can recite that one over the phone when away with work.

midlifecrashes

Nick Butterworth, Maurice Pledger stuff went down well here. Could say more but lights are out in their rooms now.

sweepy
    Free Member

Cosmic cat and the space spider.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Best children’s book ever written :

Specially that ^ hard back version with illustration by Kipling.

midlifecrashes

petrieboy

If you (she) likes the gruffalo, check out “room on the broom” or as my nearly 2 year old prefers “the woosh book”

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well I really like

It utterly captivated me when I saw it on CBeebies – great pace, amusing story, unusual concept.

When our girls are a little older I will definitely be getting it for them.

iDave
    Free Member

Little Rabbit Foo-Foo: a good mix of violence and retribution

the-muffin-man

I know its not trendy to big-up popular authors, but my daughter has really, really loved* all the Roald Dahl books which we’ve read to her since she was 5. She’s now 8 and has read them herself many times over.

(*so much so that we are struggling to move her on to anything else!!)

fangin
    Free Member

“The fantastic Mr Wani” caused me to laugh so hard that our toddler looked at me in fascinated horror.

The old classics like ‘The tiger who came to tea’ and ‘What do people do all day?’ get tight rotation in our household.

Also, if you’d like about a week of time to yourself, we found a copy of this while on holiday. German wimmelbuch are brilliant – kind of like ‘fabulous cross-sections’ meets ‘where’s Wally’? There are no words, so the language thing doesn’t matter much.

ski
    Free Member

Bike related – Don’t Let Go – Jeanne Willis

2nd Roald Dahl, my kids keep gonig back to them again and again

atparry

+1 for Little Rabbit Foo Foo
    Very entertaining

What about Aliens love Underpants and Dinosaurs love underpants?

And Each peach pear plum – or anything by the Ahlbergs (thinkits spelt correctly).

GrahamS

@midlifecrashes: the modern version of “Just So…”

http://www.tingatingatales.com/

spacemonkey

and all other Mr Gumm books.

Wholly chucklesome.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Great kids books.’ is closed to new replies.