Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Great John Lewis service
  • waynekerr
    Free Member

I bought a 42" TV from them 4 years ago. It was displaying some sparkles on a dark background intermittently , not bad enough for me to get upset, but my son came round & said I should complain about it, so I did & they sent an engineer round within 3 days. He went of reported his findings & within a week they called to say I can have a new 42" TV(better spec), I chose not to take the one they offered but a 50" one & all I had to pay was £100, I get it delivered next week.

Jamie
    Free Member

John Lewis + 5 Year guarantee = Win

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yep, never buy a TV anywhere else. The service from JL is just superb.

waynekerr
    Free Member

Guarantee from JL is at no extra cost either, not like Comet & such like, makes me wonder why people buy from the likes of Currys , Comet etc. I have always found JL to have very knowledgeable staff too & they price match.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ppssible to get 5 year guarantees cheaper elsewhere (Richer Sounds for me)

"Never Knowingly Under-sold" MY ARSE!

nuke

Got my TV from JL mainly because of the free 5 year guarantee and got the TV cheap in the sales as well…Very pleased.

vrapan
    Free Member

If you show them a price you found elsewhere they will price match cynic-al – very fitting name btw

I think their stuff is ok knowledge wise not much better than your average salesman these days but no worse than anywhere else.

However their service is astonishing. They kept replacing my Apple Pro keyboard for me all the time – managed to brake 4 times in a year a half- last time – I asked for a refund and they just did it no questions asked. Guess where I bought my Aluminium Apple KB and the BT Aluminium Keyboard. Yes I know I love my Apple stuff.

waynekerr
    Free Member

"Never Knowingly Under-sold" MY ARSE!

Well, I'm currently looking at buying an iMac, they are £20 cheaper than everywhere else including Apple shop & they give a 2 year guarantee as opposed to Apple shops 1 year.

cynic-al
    Free Member

vrapan – Member
    If you show them a price you found elsewhere they will price match cynic-al – very fitting name btw

I'd prefer to support shops that offer low prices rather than just match them. Why should JL profit from other retailers pricing aggressively? If they were never undersold they wouldn't need to match would they?

WK – I didn't say they were never good value did I?

rOcKeTdOg

Why should JL profit from other retailers pricing aggressively?

why shouldn't they?, they are a business not a charity

jon1973
    Free Member

Ppssible to get 5 year guarantees cheaper elsewhere

The five year guarantee at JL is free, how is it possible to get it cheaper elsewhere?

Drac

Why did you have to pay a £100 when you had a warranty?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez you lot are slow today.

riding a 29er but not blowing a trumpet about it – Member
    Why should JL profit from other retailers pricing aggressively?

why shouldn't they?, they are a business not a charity

My point is that it's the retailer that prices well (as long as they do other things well enough) that should profit – JL are lazy and oversell all the time, as a result of threads like this!

jon – clear implication is that it is possible to get product with 5 year guarantee cheaper elsewhere.

jon1973
    Free Member

Why did you have to pay a £100 when you had a warranty?

cos he upgraded from a 42" to a 50" TV

jon1973
    Free Member

jon – clear implication is that it is possible to get product with 5 year guarantee cheaper elsewhere.

not if JL match prices it isn't. I don't think JL oversell particularly, the sell stuff cos they're very competitive and trustworthy. My PS3 was the same price as it was on Amazon.

Drac

cos he upgraded from a 42" to a 50" TV

Ah right I misread that as they couldn't offer him like for like.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My wife ordered some latte glasses for a Christmas present from their site (total order value £20) and the site stated a guaranteed before Christmas delivery.

They rang a few days after the order was made, apologising that they were out of stock and wouldn't come back in stock in time and offered, without any prompting, a £50 cash refund (on top of the order value). It wasn't even a voucher to use in their store – just £50 banged into her account.

That I liked.

thomthumb
    Free Member

they are a business not a charity

co-op if we're being pedantic!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Indeed, tomthumb. Therein lies another of the benefits of shopping at JL – Quality staff who really do care about their work.

As opposed to the spotty oiks found in most electrical and department stores!

Good example was the other day, when I was being dragged around Peter Jones. There was a test match on, FFS! So, I sauntered upstairs only to find none of the screens were showing the match.

Asked a member of staff, who said, "OK, I'll change it over, but make it quick as the manager doesn't really like us having it on!"

After watching for about five or ten, a small group of chaps had joined me. There was much chat and all very sociable.

The aforementioned manager arrived, the member of staff looked nervous. Manager said, "Well, as long as you chaps are watching the cricket, your wives and girlfriends are spending money elsewhere! Anyway, what's the score?"

Top people!

Another example, Waitrose in Salisbury (and other branches, I believe) – When you ask a member of staff where something is, they don't just grunt "Aisle 12", but they walk with you to what you were asking for.

Small details, but it all adds up.

MaxWall
    Free Member

JL every time for me too, had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago, 4 year old TV replaced with no hassle!

As opposed to the spotty oiks found in most electrical and department stores!

You just said exactly what I was thinking CF 😉

miaowing_kat
    Free Member

I love John Lewis. but the last member of staff I met there was either drugged/drunk/severely hungover or just really didn't know what he was doing…

mav12
    Free Member

op did they say why they did not repair the origonal tv

i am in the same position few sparklies dont really bother me already had it repaired once after being 11 months old ive had it about 4 years now i would jump at a 50inch for an extra £100

soma_rich
    Free Member

They know there stuff spent a long time chatting to them before I went for my latest TV.

fubar
    Free Member

Do John Lewis still take a week (+) to do a price match…I had to give them the details, they completed a form…sent to head office….they sent me a letter to take back in to store…yawn!
    Comet picked the phone up and checked the price with the competitor (Richer Sounds) and completed the sale in 5 minutes.

chakaping
    Free Member

Nice to give your money to a company with a proghressive employment policy too.

The reason they all care about their jobs is that they all have a much more tangiable stake in the business than their rivals' employees.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Wedding lists is another classic where JL are great. We had a list at Debenhams and John Lewis.

John Lewis were amazing from going around putting things for the list, getting everything delivered when it's convenient for us and even having to take a couple of items back (slight damage to one item and I think a pizza stone wouldn't fit in the oven). All staff we're brilliant.

Debenhams on the other a right farce, absolute bunch of arse from day one. So much so my wife has vowed never to return to their stores.

waynekerr
    Free Member

op did they say why they did not repair the origonal tv

They gave me the option of a new screen or new TV, not a hard decision.
    The stuff I have bought from JL, I have never had to get them to price match, they have always been lowest, as I said in an earlier post.

Well, I'm currently looking at buying an iMac, they are £20 cheaper than everywhere else including Apple shop & they give a 2 year guarantee as opposed to Apple shops 1 year.

Where would anyone go?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only on STW would be spend this long discussing John Lewis…it's like MumsNet or something 🙄

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, you could always start a thread about Aldi or Lidl, Darcy!

😉

crazy-legs

I had great service from JL as well when I bought my TV recently. Special offer in store anyway (free Blu-Ray DVD player) plus the manufacturer was doing a cashback deal. Ended up paying about £550 for a TV and DVD set worth nearly £1000!
    Knowledgable helpful friendly staff plus the JL free 5-year warranty. 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 at flashy. I couldn't though, someone might mention KwikSave and it might start getting emotional.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Great John Lewis service’ is closed to new replies.