• This topic has 20 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Great big chain and padlock – what's good value?
  • honourablegeorge

Looking at the Oxofrd ones on CRC – need one that’ll do four bikes, so probably a 2m job, at least. What’s good value?

IA

Think it’s a 2m oxford I have round 3 bikes, which is sometimes a bit of a fiddle. Would want a bit longer for 4.

hairymtnbiker
    Free Member

http://securityforbikes.com/

I have the Protector 13mm Chain and Squire SS50CS Lock. Great value and top quality…

z1ppy

If you want proper security, then you need a decent chain of at least 16mm thick so that there uncroppable with bolt cutters, 19mm would be better. There good value, as they’re proper chains that work…

Almax series 3 & 4 or Pragmasis Protector (16 or 19mm) both come with Squire locks.

Don’t forget you’ll also need a ground anchor too.

There are buy once products, so they may seem initially very expensive, but you’re not going to need to replace them any time soon… had mine for 4/5 years now, so value for money is moot.. they don’t wear out.

munkster
    Free Member

Bit of a thread hiijack but am considering a ground anchor in the garage – any ideas about whether I would need to hire a heavy duty drill to drill the holes? I’ve got a mains Bosch DIY hammer drill, not insubstantial, goes through most things, but concrete with a big drill bit…?

boxfish
    Free Member

munkster,

Your drill should be fine. I used a basic Bosch hammer drill to fit a ground anchor to my garage floor. It’s very secure. So secure, in fact, that when my garage was broken into the thieves sawed through the bike frame instead of attacking the Pragmasis chain!

z1ppy

depends on your concrete floor in all honesty IME, I was prepared to borrow a SDS drill but my normal one with the rubbish bit supplied with the ground anchor did the job…

honourablegeorge

Great, thanks all.

IA

Oh pro-tip for drilling for fitting ground anchors: ear defenders or good ear plugs. Garages are LOUD to drill in.

RustyMac

munkster

you don’t need to drill a big hole there are anchors out there that you drill 4 holes then epoxy in the bolts. the epoxy is actually harder than the concrete.

footflaps

Wall of shame for easily cropped expensive chains:

http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/index.asp?pg=7

brakes
    Free Member

Toolstation have 12mm hardened chains that are pretty substantial and only £30 for a 2m. I have a 1.5m which just about goes round 2 bikes and a ground anchor.
    Here

Gotama
    Free Member

Almax – London supermoto owners swear by them. If nothing else by attaching 15kg of chain to your bikes it will cause someone problems shifting them!

emanuel
    Free Member

I got the biggest abus chain and padlock I could find,it’s a motorbike one.
    protip:take the cloth sheath off,get an innetube,with much swearing and sore fingers pass the chain through the inner tube.put cloth sheath back on.
    more comfortable to wear around your waist,but asides from that,it doesn’t flop about so much when putting around your frame/inside the ground,wall anchor.quieter too.

DrP

Ebay can be good for big ol’ locks and chains…..
    Quick search for “heavy duty chain”.

DrP

d45yth
    Free Member

I’d spend the money on making it harder to get into the garage and fitting an alarm. As others have said, they will just cut through the frames or will just unbolt parts if they can’t cut through the lock.
    It is just a shame there isn’t a legal way of wiring our bikes to the mains, so they would act like a giant fly zapper! 😈

tonyplym
    Free Member

If you’ve got a local branch of Hein Gericke (motorcycle clothing and stuff) nearby then you might be able to pick up a bargain – they went into administration a couple of weeks ago and my local branch (Plymouth) had good discounts on lots of stock – heavy duty chains, padlocks, D locks, ground anchors and suchlike.

mk1fan
    Free Member

A quick note on fixing Ground Anchors. Make sure that you’re fixing it to a concrete slab rather than a sand / cement screed. Although, it is highly likely that [in the UK] a garage floor is a concrete slab it’s worth double checking.

Personally, I use a multi-layers security approach.

Externally, my ‘shed’ has low key reinforcements so not to attract obvious attention.

Internally, I have multiple types and size of locks. A sacraficial bike. Finanly, I have electronic alarms too.

Almax are a buy once item and are, for all intents and purposes, indestructable.

Ultimately, if someone wants YOUR bike(s) then they’ll get them. Therefore insurance is your ultimaate protection.

kayak23

A sacraficial bike

How do you mean?

mk1fan
    Free Member

Basically a bike that’s ‘easier’ to get. The opportunist thief is ‘happy’ to get something for their risk, rather than nothing.

Not that I want to lose any of my bikes, but there is one I’d be ‘less upset’ about losing.

DrP

A sacraficial bike
    How do you mean?

You take the bike to the highest peak, and thrust a blade into it’s heart. Once the “oil of life” stops running, you mumble a chant whilst drinking a tincture of DOT5.
    Forevermore, the cycle Gods will protect your other bikes.

DrP

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Great big chain and padlock – what's good value?’ is closed to new replies.