Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Greasing Nano-X pedals
  • larkim
    Free Member

On of the pair of pedals recently started to sound a little rough, so I attempted to grease it simply by removing the non-crank end dust cap and squirting red grease in there, tightening down the cap and noting that this forced grease into the main body.

However, I’ve damaged the crank end o-ring as a consequence (I’ve ordered a replacement).

However:-
    a) did I go about greasing in the right way or should I have completely disassembled? and
    b) should I need to grease anyway?

ricardo666
    Free Member

I’ve stripped down my superstar pedals, devoloped a sticky, grinding feel to them.

A couple of bearings to replace, clean the kack out, regrease, and rebuilt.

I’ve a pdf diagram if you’d like a copy for future use…see my email addy in my profile.

larkim
    Free Member

Thanks, might take you up on that, but the nano rebuild kit that’s coming apparently comes with instructions too! I did managed to disassemble properly (excluding bushings and bearings) without too much fuss once I’d realised I’d knacked the o-ring / seal. How hard can it be?!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I use the method you describe (end cap pressure to purge through) on the older Nanos.
    Hadn’t noticed until reading this that the Nano-X has done away with the more substantial rubber seal at the crank end of the axle. That’s a backward step IMHO.

larkim
    Free Member

Interesting, I’ve bought the repair kit (http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/service-kit-for-nano-pedal.htm) which says that it is for the Nano-X as well as others, but I did wonder whether the picture of a largish seal matched the small o-ring that I discovered when I stripped the pedal at the weekend.

Perhaps the kit will come with an either / or for the new design Nano-X, if not I’ve ordered a kit which will be neither use nor ornament unless I do some more damage!!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

If your Nano-X will accept the bigger seal shown in the rebuild kit, use it. I’ve found it to be really effective and keeps out everything that Winter can throw at them (when used in conjunction with a good packing of Castrol marine-grease)

larkim
    Free Member

Credit due to superstar, I emailed them to ask about this and they replied to let me know that the website details were wrong, and have immediately put a complimentary service pack in the post for me. On reflection, perhaps should have asked first and bought second, but thought I’d post about their customer service anyway!

Rubber_Buccaneer

You saying the service kit isn’t suitable for Nano X? I just bought a service kit for future use so wouldn’t find out it was wrong until whenever they need doing

larkim
    Free Member

I’ll be getting my original order plus the updated set. I’ll post here the difference between the two sets which I suspect will just be the seals.

mattyfez

How are people finding the nano x pedals? I’ve got a set that ive not yet fitted.. they look big and very square! Do they get in the way due to size?

Rubber_Buccaneer

One of mine fell apart on its first outing, it had unscrewed itself as I pedalled along 🙁 Gave me the chance (lucky me) to check the seal mentioned above and it is completely different. There is no way the seal in the service kit will fit the Nano X. The bearings and nut are the same, don’t know about the bush as I didn’t remove it.

Do they get in the way due to size?

I’ve clipped mine a few times, I don’t think the size causes any real problem as they aren’t excessively thick

larkim
    Free Member

I promised I’d share a photo of the dedicated Nano-X service kit vs the stock one from the Superstar website. As expected, the only difference is the thin o=ring seals as the big seals don’t fit.

I took it apart last night, cleaned, regreased, used new seal and tightened up (perhaps a little too much actually, might need to re-do the preloading of the bearings) and all is now well.

larkim
    Free Member

Of course, if the photo doesn’t show, that’s not much help is it.

On the left, “proper” nano-x kit. On the right the stock nano kit.

Link to google photo of replacement service kit

Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks for the confirmation. I got in touch with Superstar about mine and they’ve stuck a replacement set of seals in the post to me

mattyfez

I’ve clipped mine a few times, I don’t think the size causes any real problem as they aren’t excessively thick

Thanks, I’ve fitted mine now, used just the small studs, really liking them so far, not done much distance,but very grippy, and feel good, although ive not hit my shins on them yet!

Quick question, do they come well greased to last a while, what sort of distances or conditions before you guy’s needed to service them?

Thanks

Rubber_Buccaneer

See a few posts up, one of mine fell apart on its first ride 🙂

If you are not as lazy as me take them apart, add some grease if you want and make sure they are put together properly. You just need a hex key for the end cap and a 9mm socket that will fit in the pedal body.

Or chance it, like I did 🙂 . I have two pairs and one was fine. Also the service kits are quite reasonably priced compared to some especially if you get one when there is a discount deal on

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Greasing Nano-X pedals’ is closed to new replies.