Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Grease for Hope hubs
  • PJay
    Free Member

I’m need to rebuild my Hope Pro 2 Evo following a bearing failure. The grease around the pawls, springs and ratchet in the freehub was pretty black and gunky so is going to need replacing.

The Hope ‘How To’ video mentions that they use Mobil XHP222 grease (some sort of branded marine grade grease); is it essential that this is used or can I use something else? I’ve got a tube of Finishline Lithium grease and another of Weldite Teflon grease (although both are ancient). The local Halfords doesn’t do the Mobil stuff but I could pick something up there.

I don’t really know the pros and cons of various grease types such as Lithium and Teflon.

cyclistm
    Free Member

The grease you have already will be fine

PJay
    Free Member

Thanks, even if it’s about 10 years old? I’ve no idea if it deteriorates.

Would the Teflon or Lithium be a better option or will it make no difference?

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i used 8 year old finish line teflon grease when i stripped and rebuilt my pro2 rear last year, with no problems at all. just don’t put too much of it in or you won’t get that lovely hope hub song when you freewheel!

mudmonster
    Free Member

I totally packed my freehub with grease and after a few weeks the noise came back. It not good to do that as the pawls can’t engage properly sometimes.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

As long as the grease hasn’t seperated ie clearish liquid and compound it’ll be fine to use either dude if it’s in a tube squish it about with the lid on to mix it up or ifs a tub just get a spoon and stir it up like paint lol

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Grease for Hope hubs’ is closed to new replies.