• This topic has 29 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by llama.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Grayson Perry on mountain biking
  • mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I’d have never ever guessed, well apart from the shaving thing.
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/may/02/cycling-is-the-perfect-sport-for-transvestites

chambord
    Free Member

It’s a little-known fact that I invented the mountain bike when I was 14 in 1974

Someone better tell repack that grayson is stepping on his turf.

I didn’t get the credit for inventing the mountain bike because I never went on to build one – unlike the pioneers of the sport

Phew. Well recovered grayson.

Great article by the way really enjoyable reading.

nuke

All this macho Mamil (middle-aged man in Lycra) nonsense of course misses the real, brilliant point of mountain biking, and that is cycling through great countryside with no cars. There is nothing like climbing up a gentle South Downs ridge on a spring morning as the landscape opens out around you and all you can hear are the birds and the hum of your knobblies.

^ spot on there 😀

oldfart

1974 ? Pah ! We were doing terrible things to 5 speed racers 10 years before that ! Stick a pair of cow horns on the obligatory playing card making the Braap noise at the back pretending to be Badger Goss or Dave Bickers 🙂 Saturday Grandstand used to show Scrambling and Wick was our local track , where we got to see our heroes up close . Wick even hosted the Moto Cross Des Nations one year , good times , buckled wheels , cotter pins 🙁 banged up knees !

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Thanks for that, a good read.

A pensioner off-roader is a cool look, although I admit I may be forced to join the “smoother roadies” (shudder). Either my body’s drivetrain or suspension will eventually wear out and give up on me. When the time comes, I only hope I am unaware that I am on my last ever ride.

spawnofyorkshire

A big part of sport for me is the benefit for mental health. Nothing combats feeling depressed or anxious like a good hard workout.

For me, this +100

MrSmith
    Free Member

Grayson posts on STW but uses a pseudonym called Hora, he’s going to make a large ceramic piece of Horaesque glib statements all intertwined so they become a meaningless tangle of words. It’s his take on the new social media interaction and how people attach meaning to their online statements even though they are facile and lost in the noise.
    Well that’s what he told me at a private view in a Cork St gallery last week.

Jerome
    Free Member

Great article captures the essence of why I will be riding my bike as long as I can..
    A true British character ( I am assuming he is originally from here )..
    The documentary he did on the making of his art house was super interesting, and prob available online.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

(Nods enthusiastically)

Thanks, enjoyed that immensely, a kindred spirit (excepting I only really get competitive with hills, not so much with people – and haven’t worn a dress since manhandles ruined a size 16 8) )

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Cool, he’s a proper geezer….kind of.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Either my body’s drivetrain or suspension will eventually wear out and give up on me. When the time comes, I only hope I am unaware that I am on my last ever ride.

Reminds me of a bloke I met up in Yorkshire (where else!). He was sessioning a steep roll-in to a drop off that I was taking the chicken run round. Stopped to chat and he was 72, out for a ride while his wife was at some WI event!

If I’m still pedalling at 72 let alone hitting drop-offs I’ll be a happy boy!

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

I like the radios artwork discussion and his Claire personality amuses. Don’t know what to make of his crockery but he’s gone up in my estimation since.

scuttler

Grayson’s more niche that anyone on here (in more ways than this)

He can also trackstand that mother.

pictonroad

Is everything he says and does brilliant? National treasure status yet?

TPTcruiser

My brother was overtaken by a chap in a dress at a Beastway race before the Olympic Park development. Grayson is as competitive as hell!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I liked him before reading the article… now …. Legend

National treasure status yet?

I’d go further …..

New Top Gear presenter !?!

munrobiker
    Free Member

MBR interviewed him about 10 years ago- you would have thought a man with so many expensive dresses would have bought new riding shoes since then!

RepackRider
    Free Member

This guy told me he invented mountain biking. I didn’t want to argue.

jobro
    Free Member

I was at Eastway when Grayson Perry had made some pottery figures as trophies. I remember at the time that people looked a bit knocked back at getting such a strange trophy. Wonder what they are worth now!
    ( and I missed a trophy by one place. Double damn!!)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

@Repack/Charlie – you do you run a regular search on:
    STW+”invented mountain biking”
    ?

[ The reason I always pop-up in some subject threads is just because I never get off the damn forum 😉 ]

What happened to your pic, anyways?

RepackRider
    Free Member

@Repack/Charlie – you do you run a regular search on:
    STW+”invented mountain biking”?

I regularly check search terms “California,” “San Francisco,” and “repack.” Most of the conversations here are about subjects and places I am not familiar with, so I look for the ones I might have something to say about.

What happened to your pic, anyways?

Wanna-be rockers complained that my avatar was rubbing their faces in the fact that I get to play really loud in public.

aracer
    Free Member

I’m struggling to get over his application for https://twitter.com/lamfrt (it’s the weekend, nobody is working are they?)

RepackRider
    Free Member

No two people are farther apart politically than George W. Bush and I. But he is a mountain biker, and when you get a request from a former president for a signed copy of your book… You deliver.

Mr. Bush responded with a very nice hand-written note.

Dear Charlie,

Thank you for signing Fat Tire Flyer. It is a very interesting history of the sport I love. I’m rollin’ as much as my 69 year old legs will allow — Ride on!

George W. Bush

RustySpanner

Not allowed anything sharp, I see.
    🙂

core

Or he’s got Gordon Brown working as his P.A.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Still on single page status, yet thread of the year.

switchbacktrog
    Free Member

We rode past his house on Sunday morning……………..

slimjim78
    Free Member

i’m amazed that it hasn’t been ransacked.. each tile must be worth plenty rubles.

davieg
    Free Member

Nice house, but what is all that blue stuff in the background 🙂

@Repack, it is dubya I know, but that is pretty cool. You might not agree with someone, but manners cost you nothing.

llama

I bet this is the only way you can link Grayson Perry to George W Bush

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Grayson Perry on mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.