Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Gravity Enduro – Full Face?
  • neil853
    Free Member

They’re mostly on trail centre stuff aren’t they? Not sure wether its worth getting one for them.

IA

Depends on the enduro, also depends if you think you’ll be pushing yourself and more likely to dive on your face?

Parr
    Free Member

Some of its on trail centre stuff, some of its not, depends which round your entered into. When the clock starts and the red mist descends, your better off with a full face, there not compulsary, yet, but your head and face will be safer with 1 on your bonce 🙂

I_Ache
    Free Member

I will be wearing one. Mainly for the red mist and confidence reasons. I feel like I am able to do more when I have one on because I am less likely to need facial reconstruction. Even though some might say that it would do me good.

nosedive
    Free Member

i was debating this with myself as well. I entered the coed y one, it will be my first.

I think I will go for the full face, my username isn’t a coincidence….

what will most people be wearing ? I have entered along with a mate who is into his cross country events, I’m a little worried now that he will turn up and be put off if it looks like a downhill race

njee20
    Free Member

I must say I’d be put off if a FF was necessary, surely the whole point is that they’re more ‘accessible’ than a DH race?

I’ve ridden a couple of DH courses, but the need for armour and a FF puts me off ‘having a go’ at some of the new ‘grass roots’ type DH events that I actually think could be a laugh.

Would like to try an enduro sometime, but that would probably stop me!

kimbers

i was just gonna wear my xc lid which is a hex

but now im worried, possibly my dh lid?!!?!?

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

normal lid

Simon

Vast majority of racers at last year’s 661 Gravity Enduros were wearing open face helmets, myself included. But wear whatever makes you feel more confident.

o96192083
    Free Member

your better off with a full face, there not compulsary, yet, but your head and face will be safer with 1 on your bonce

And your neck? More likely to incur damage to the neck when wearing a full face rather than an open lid. You need a neck brace as well in order to see the full protection.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I havnt done one yet HT tbh I doubt a FF is at all necessary and everything will be doable with an open face. I have a FF so why not use one when I don’t have to worry about trying to breathe in it when climbing or stopping to take it off at the bottom of every climb. I may as well just wear it.

mafiafish
    Free Member

Either will be fine. I only did one event last year and although there was some climbing/flat it wasn’t enough for a full face to be that much of an oxygen bottleneck and if you’re on the edge/ beyond your abilities the extra protection is worth it. If you’re ever going to wear a full face surely this is an occasion to?

Common sense answer is to take both, ride the first day’s practice on your open lid and assess it from there.

juan
    Free Member

FF + knee pads + Gloves + camelback or spin protector compulsory around here.

Simon

You’ve got real mountains to race down though.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh and to actually answer the OP if I didn’t have one I wouldn’t be concerned about buying one.

legend
    Free Member

More likely to incur damage to the neck when wearing a full face rather than an open lid. You need a neck brace as well in order to see the full protection.

where did you pull that from?

Open face at Enduro for me (so far)

Northwind

I did my first couple in a fullface but switched back to open face… TBH I think I’m just as likely if not more likely to have a big crash than when I race dh, but the openface just feels more appropriate. May or may not make any sense, who knows.

xiphon
    Free Member

I don’t think I’d go much faster with a FF on, I usually attack the descents full on 😀

nosedive
    Free Member

I think I might use my Met parachute then everyone can laugh at me \ point out they are useless etc

njee20
    Free Member

FF + knee pads + Gloves + camelback or spin protector compulsory around here.

Really? Except in your much lauded about Trans Provence. You really do feel the need to constantly 1-up everyone don’t you? 🙄

Out of interest then are neck braces compulsory in DH races yet at any level? Their popularity has obviously taken off massively! Someone other than Juan, as I’m sure you need them for riding to the shops there.

cookeaa

Interesting, I had it in my head that these events were more like a day out at a trail center with a bit of timing chucked in for the descents but not overall taken That seriously… are people properly spanking themselves flat out into rocks/trees at these events or is this just a bit of hyperbole?

I’d have thought the argument might be that the extra faff and bother of lugging a ~1500g FF up only adds to a riders general fatigue, making the odds of a stack marginally more likely on the descent… discuss…

Northwind

Quite a few of the folks wearing fullfaces in the ones I’ve been in were not going very fast. (me included!) Some were heavily protected as they walked down tricky bits 😉 It’s all good.

br
    Free Member

Having ridden the Innerleithen Enduro course, a FF might be a worthwhile ‘investment’ – would’ve saved my black eye…

Just take it along and see.

neil853
    Free Member

This is exactly my point, at present I don’t own a full face so it more a question of if I should purchase one. I’ve been riding quite a long time, i’ve got the scars to prove it but was just wondering the type of thing I was entering. I too was under the impression that it was trail centre ‘type’ trails.

hora
    Free Member

I wouldn’t think negative of anyone wearing one. Unless the lads watching have offered to cover the lads bills and mortgage repayments and the rider declined.

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s a race, and people will push themselves harder.

br
    Free Member

You can buy new for £50; we bought them for the Alps a few years ago and while I know the other guys haven’t used their’s again my son ‘liberated’ mine.

juan
    Free Member

Except in your much lauded about Trans Provence.

Well this is probably an insurance policiy. For the 1001 enduro tour as I said FF + full finger gloves + knee pads + some back padding. To be fair the only investement was the FF, as I already use the rest for everyday riding. IIRC Trans provence has a full finger gloves + knee pads policy. In italy you are meant to keep your helmet on your head ALL the time, so people race with two helmets.

I_Ache
    Free Member

neil853 – Member
    This is exactly my point, at present I don’t own a full face so it more a question of if I should purchase one. I’ve been riding quite a long time, i’ve got the scars to prove it but was just wondering the type of thing I was entering. I too was under the impression that it was trail centre ‘type’ trails.

You will be fine in a normal helmet unless you are trying to win.

I’m planning on Rd5 it will be my first race and I will be trying hard as they guys I will be going with are faster than me. I am prone to crashing so it will be worthwhile for me to wear one.

Chainline
    Free Member

Yes the Italian series has a FF requirement for the DH sections and a helmet at all times requirement for the rest so you always carry 2 helmets. Its no big deal to carry the FF and swop over. My Kali is only 850g so I would say that. I bought it for the race and must say it makes me feel safer. I definitely end up pushing much harder in the races.

However, you go as fast as you feel comfortable with the protection you feel comfortable I think.

I rode TP in an open face lid as did everyone else, but I definitely wasn’t pushing on the downs like I do in SuperEnduro, no doubt many do, but there’s no practice on the likes of TP. You can practice in a lot of the European Enduro’s so when the flag drops its flat out..

I’m gonna try a few Gravity Enduro’s this year. I’ll take both I think and see how it pans out.

I was looking at the Nukeproof critical base the other day, since I’m old and don’t bounce like I used to, but I thought I’d get hot with the full sleeves..I was told the famous Mr Hill doesn’t wear elbow pads so why would I need them….answer, I ain’t Mr Hill 😆

cookeaa

cookieaa » are people properly spanking themselves flat out into rocks/trees at these events or is this just a bit of hyperbole?

It’s a race, and people will push themselves harder.

That’s not an answer to my question though is it…

Is there actually any real precedence from the last couple of years?

My question is pretty straight forwards, are riders in open faced lids regularly “Uglying themselves up” competing in Gravity-Enduro type races in the UK or not?

A Simple “yes” or “no” or “I don’t know” would suffice…

My own suspicion is there a bit of scaremongering at work here from various risk-averse individuals.

I’d agree people should feel comfortable riding in what they want and if that means a FF then that’s all good, but as there’s no requirement for a FF helmet from the organisers and the format is meant to encourage all abilities to take part, I can’t see it being as big an issue as it is in DH racing where a FF lid is normally compulsory…

Talking up the risks and presenting potential new entrants to the sport with competitors in storm-trooper gear might serve to discourage them from wanting to get involved…

neil853
    Free Member

Talking up the risks and presenting potential new entrants to the sport with competitors in storm-trooper gear might serve to discourage them from wanting to get involved…

+1

njee20
    Free Member

+1

I wouldn’t wear any a FF to ride a trail centre, I’m not sure why that changes if you hang a number on the front. Of course people have every right to do so, probably quite sensible, but I’m not sure about deeming it necessary 😕

Parr
    Free Member

Neil853 – Wear what you feel comfortable with, some of the racers wear FF some wear open,
    Cookeaa – No pepople are not spanking themselves into trees etc at Gravity enduro, we did have injuries in 2011, you always will at races, when people push their limits, thats racing.
    Think we had in total 3 collar bones and 1 gash to a hip, 2 of the collar bones were Endurance racers turning up for an Enduro, wrong bike set up

mark_b
    Free Member

-1 If you turn up to a race you have to expect people doing what they feel they need to do to go as fast as they can during that event. Whether that’s running light bike set ups or wearing a full face for increased confidence.

I for one shall be wearing a non-uci approved skin suit and full face helmet 😕

blurltrider
    Free Member

I’ll be wearing my Urge Endur-o-matic, it’s what I feel comfortable with, and I’ll see how it goes. But I will be riding as my name suggests (though it will no doubt feel flat out to me!)

stevomcd
    Free Member

I think I’d probably suffocate to death in the first few minutes if I had to wear a FF on an Enduro!

legend
    Free Member

I’m not sure why that changes if you hang a number on the front.

It’s called adrenaline.

I think I’d probably suffocate to death in the first few minutes if I had to wear a FF on an Enduro!

Absolutely. The start of the last Inners Enduro would’ve been fine for around 30s, then you would hit the first flat muddy bit 😳 (oops smiley used to show effects of lack of oxygen 😉 )

blurltrider
    Free Member

Doh….I had in my head my STW name was slowblur…which reflects my riding speed. (and my brain at the moment!) That will make more sense than my original post.

Northwind

I_Ache – Member

You will be fine in a normal helmet unless you are trying to win.

I doubt many of the riders who’re actually trying to win wear them tbh. It’s the folk in the middle who have no chance of winning but are pushing themselves past their skill level who might find them useful.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Enduro – Full Face?’ is closed to new replies.