Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gravity enduro bike (for 661 in particular)
  • baz2963
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m already hell bent on getting an Orange so other brands are out of the question really (tried many but Orange agree with me).

Just need some discussion on the five (am maybe) or alpine for gravity enduro, which do people use the most for this event and your suggestion on which would work better.

Thanks

sam2391
    Free Member

Not sure what people use for that event, but I recently sold my downhill bike to get a orange. I was debating the 5 and the alpine for ages but decided the 5 was almost as capeable for uk downhills as the alpine, and also much more suitable for normal trail use. From what I gather the alpine only really comes into its own in the alps etc. 160mm forks on the 5 should be enough for most UK riding and wont kill the fun of “smoother” trails.

baz2963
    Free Member

Cool thanks…

Anyone else have thoughts or experiences ?!

RustyMac

If you do a search on the main site for gravity enduro you should find some videos of last years events. People were competing on all sorts so either the 5 AM or the Alpine will work well for the events.

Have a think about what else you want the bike for? Presuming you are not super flash with the cash and are not simply buying a 4k+ bike for 6-8 events what other biking do you want the bike for. My personal thoughts are the 5 AM would easily handle the vast majority of UK riding and be decent in the Alps. If it is more of a bigger travel alps technical/dh trails bike you are looking to get then go for the Alpine.

Northwind

Depends whether they stick to the same sort of routes… Some of the stages last year were a wee bit undemanding (trail centre red route climbs don’t become gnarly enduro monsters just because you do them backwards) but others were fierce. Most were short, though.

Personally, I’ve never felt 160mm was too little for this sort of thing- the innerleithen mtb racing enduro events are a bit more full-on than many of the 661 stages but I’d sooner be on an Alpine than a Five for that sort of thing, even on the longer lungbursting stages. But then the rest of the time, outside of the races, what’s better for you?

(definately rather be on an Alpine than a 160mm Five, but then I don’t think that works very well)

Disclaimer: I love these events; I’m not that good at them!

Parr
    Free Member

Baz
    The Elite male series winner was on a 5, that might just make your mind up for you 🙂
    2011 was our first year organising the Gravity Enduro, so we had to air on the safer side of things, we now have a gauge of the riders coming, so get ready for some great stages
    Cheers
    Parr

tomaso
    Free Member

A mate did it on a Mondraker Foxy and did quite good so a 5 should be man enough for the job – you can always go for some bigger forks up front.

alpinestar
    Free Member

hey buddy. if interested i have a sweet alpine 160 2010 for sale on here if you search for sales. its in great condition. ive done all from xc to dh on it and it rocks. selling to buy a full on dh bike or it would stay. im no climber so dh suits me lol. email in profile.

Northwind

Parr – Member

The Elite male series winner was on a 5, that might just make your mind up for you

He’s a biking machine though; normal people might want more bike 🙂

legend
    Free Member

normal people might want more bike

but then the normal people with normal legs arrive at a pedally bit 🙁

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gravity enduro bike (for 661 in particular)’ is closed to new replies.