Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gravity dropper users?
  • Gordymac
    Free Member

Ok im pretty much decided on a Classic multi drop, but im wanting to know users experiences as im unsure wether to get the 3″ or 4″ drop. Now im not a serial seat dropper at the moment and will most likely use the 1″ drop the most. A lot of people say to go for the 4″ drop yet GD say that 3″ is the most popular. Any thoughts/ help?

Cheers
    Gordymac

druidh
    Free Member

I have a 3″. Works fine for me and has done for the last 2 years. If you’re only gonna ever drop the seat by 1″, I wouldn’t bother -just set a normal seatpost halfway between your two target positions.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Hmm i think the 3″ drop might be the one to go for as i like having the seat still there for something to control the bike with rather than having nothing there with it totally out of the way if you know what i mean ;o)

JPcapel
    Free Member

I have GD fitted to 2 bikes.
    I use the 4″ classic drop, which gives 1″ drop then the full 4″.
    I previously used a Speedball which only gave 3″ in total.
    I would actually now like a 5″ drop GD if possible.
    I would strongly vote for the 4″ !

geetee1972
    Free Member

I just had this same dilema but was forced to go for a 3″ drop as that was the only one that would fit my bike (it’s a crank bros version of the maverick speedball). I was really worried that in the end, the 3″ would not be enough but for general trail riding it’s more than enough.

If I was using the a GD on a more DH orientated bike i.e. a free ride bike that I still want to pedal, then I would probably want the 4″ drop just for the little extra room to move around.

Taz

Have the 4 & 1 inch drop.

I would highly recommend it. It is also pretty robust, as long as you clean and re-grease regularly (2 min job)

1 inch down for fast singletrack, 4 inches for when it gets steep and technical.

You will use them both and you will drop the seatpost a lot more than you would if you had to stop. I ride Cwm Carn regularly. Never dropped my saddle. Now I use both the 4 and 1 inch drops on every lap. Don’t ‘need’ to but just makes the decending more fun. I also have my saddle at a better max height for climbing.

toons
    Free Member

Defo get the 4 & 1.

What Taz said “1 inch down for fast singletrack, 4 inches for when it gets steep and technical.

goog
    Free Member

4″

Ben_Haworth

i like having the seat still there for something to control the bike”

Getting the 4in drop may help you stop doing this.
    You shouldn’t be “controlling” the bike via the saddle.
    That’s bad bike handling IMO 🙂

Gordymac
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be “controlling” the bike via the saddle.

Maybe i didn’t quite describe that very well! What i am trying to say is that i prefer there being something between my legs for some support rather than nothing at all. Does that sound better?

That’s bad bike handling IMO

Now theres a challenge fit for a magazine article*, come up here and see what bike handling is like Highland style.

* Surely you boys are at the bottom of The Dalmore now? 😉

Gordymac
    Fyrishbikes.com

grumm
    Free Member

my i900 has 5 inches of drop – def wouldn’t want less than 4 or it seems a bit pointless imo

Junkyard
    Free Member

does it make any difference once you lower it you aint sitting on it to ride and if you get can your rear behind it for the lower gravity point then it will be fine . I dont see how you need 4 or 5 inches to achieve this personally I have a GD and a Maverick (3″)and it is nice to have a range of heights with the Speedball whereas GD is up or down.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Gravity dropper users?’ is closed to new replies.