Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Gravity Dropper cable slipping after stupid bodge
  • qtip

The cable on my GD Turbo snapped. When changing the cable I discovered the first thing that I’ve found to fault about it. The cable is attached to the lever by two tiny grub screws (0.05″ allen key bolts) – meaning I had to purchase a set of imperial allen keys just to get the one tiny one I needed. Once I had the correct allen key, I found that one of the screws was completely rounded (bought the GD 2nd hand). Not having a small enough torx to hammer in, and not having a drill bit small enough to drill it out, I decided to cut off the part of the switch with that screw and just have the one screw holding the cable (okay, stupid idea but I’m impatient and wanted to ride the next day).

All seemed to be grand but on the second ride the cable slipped. It seems that a single screw doesn’t provide enough force to hold the cable, plus it’s really hard to tighten anything with such a small hex key without rounding off the bolt/key. Clearly why they had two before I cut one off! So, any ideas about how I can fix my bodge with another bodge? I was thinking along the lines of attaching something to the cable to work as a stop against the lever, but I can’t think of anything I could use – it can’t be thicker than the depth of the lever (probably about 3mm) otherwise it will rub against the lever housing.

Simon

Just buy another lever.

Northwind

I can’t think of anything that’d keep the adjustability tbh. £14 for a new lever arm might just make sense

I’ve got a complete spare gd lever assembly somewhere, it’s just possible I might have just the lever too but I think I gave that away… Feel free to make an offer if you like.

qtip

If I could find anywhere selling a right-hand lever then I’d buy one. NW, £15 for the assembly?

qtip

Simon, I’ll believe that stock due date when it changes to ‘In stock’, but I’ve been keeping an eye on it.

Simon

Ah, didn’t notice it was out of stock.
    You could try contacting GD direct they’re usually pretty helpful.

scotroutes

FWIW, GD supply a correct-sized hex key with the post

chiefgrooveguru

I have a spare GD left lever if you want it (most of the parts are common on left and right).

When you buy a GD new they come with that tiny allen key. You can buy all the parts direct from them and they’re very helpful with servicing (and go far beyond what the warranty officially covers).

qtip

I bought the post 2nd hand so didn’t get the allen key. More annoyed about the tiny bolts/hex key being stupidly easy to round off than having to buy the allen key.

Thanks for the offer of the lever chiefgrooveguru, I’ll investigate tonight whether or not the lever can be flipped and still work.

Liftman

The lever (switch arm) is handed, which hand do you have, i may have one in my spares box, will check when i get home.

qtip

Cheers Liftman, I have a right hand lever.

andyl
    Free Member

ahh, american sized grub screw. used to have them on my american RC cars, ever so slight difference so some people would often strip them.

Can you drill and thread another hole?

scuttler

My GD hex key has a massive bit of masking tape attached to it so I don’t lose it again. That is all.

theocb
    Free Member

I feel your pain.. after a bike overhaul at the weekend I decided to treat the GD to a new cable (it didn’t even need it tbh), thinking I had left the grub screws semi screwed in I pushed the cable through only to watch those tiny grub screws ping 2 metres away……… onto a gravel drive! Nooooooooo.

OP.. Perhaps one of those small wiring connector attachments might squeeze in there??

Must dig out the GD hex 😳

scaredypants

onto a gravel drive! Nooooooooo

it’s what the good lord invented magnetic tool bars for

theocb
    Free Member

😀 I hate losing things, I spent nearly 2 hours crawling around with the biggest magnets I could find and only found a few tacks and bits of old nail.

Then I gave up and ordered some for £2 (why didn’t I just do that in the first place :idea:)

qtip

@theocb – someone that saw this thread kindly emailed me with exactly the same suggestion last night about cutting the brass fitting out of a wiring connector block and using that as a cable stop. Will be giving it a go tonight. I reckon that not only will it work but it will be more secure than those stupid little grub screws, but we shall see.

IMO those screws are the one weak point of the GD post. Well, that and the fact that the bit that houses the pin came unbounded from my (admittedly 2nd hand and very well used) post, but that was easily fixed with a couple of large zip ties (never found the need for a more permanent solution – it’s not like the GD is pretty!).

qtip

Works a treat 🙂

scuttler

Top bodge upgrade. Well done sir and no need for a stupid sized easily misplaced hex anymore.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Dropper cable slipping after stupid bodge’ is closed to new replies.