Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)
  • Gravel – when did it officially
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…become a verb?

Or is it just the latest MTB gravelly BS

I read the recent thread re what kind of bike with genuine interests other than the bits about gravelling.

joemmo
    Free Member

verbing a noun is nothing new but people seem more willing to coin slightly awkward examples like ‘gravelling’. ‘Podiuming’ is one of the more preposterous ones but I work with a buzzword master who likes talking about ‘sunsetting’, ‘finaling’, ‘whiteboarding’ etc… Sadly without irony in most cases.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hi this weekend I am going gravelling. It’s a bit like cycling….only gooder

P-Jay
    Free Member

TBH I don’t really understand what sort of riding you do on gravel – I mean obviosusly this is cycling so I know you probably need a very specific (and expensive) bike to do so, but I haven’t a clue what it actually is.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I get it for the USA but not here.

DickBarton

More Marketing mince…anything to sell more stuff – bit like bikepacking is cycle touring, but trying to make it sound more exciting; gravel bikes are just road bikes with more material to withstand some rougher stuff other than marble smooth roads…so instead of buying a road bike that could be used to ride the Tour, you buy their second or third line of bikes which are too heavy due to having more material to withstand the rougher stuff…it is all just Marketing mince to make you spend more money.

joemmo
    Free Member

Always worth reading the OP when you’re foruming…

lustyd
    Free Member

@DickBarton heavier bikes aren’t heavier because they are stronger. They are heavier because they are crapper. Light bikes use exotic materials like carbon, and techniques like butting to reduce the required material while keeping the strength. The only place a “gravel bike” will have more material is the tyres, which will be wider so as to avoid punctures. It likely also has wider gaps for the wheels to allow for those tyres.
    Doesn’t need to be heavier though, my XC bike is only about a pound heavier than my carbon road bike, and that’s strong enough for a fat lad to ride Afan 🙂

kerley
    Free Member

TBH I don’t really understand what sort of riding you do on gravel

The same sort of riding you do on the road. You can easily use a standard road bike on them too. Grip is not a problem as not riding muddy, rocky, rooty stuff.

Only benefit of a more specific bike is that you can put bigger tyres on it so get a bit more comfort and float from the tyres.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Hmm, back in my day gravelling was called cyclocross.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed – just rode my old Raleigh everywhere then – roads, fields, jumps in the woods etc. No helmets, camelbacks, spare tubes, strava. Just a bit of change fir a bottle of pop and marathon bar 😉 and a 3 speed sturmry archer!!!

How did we cope ?

thepodge
    Free Member

Cyclocross is racing gravel

Enduro is racing trail

I think major brands started doing gravel bikes about 5 years ago, small brands before that

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Is gravelling more or less hard hard core than adventuring

nickhit3
    Free Member

ok so what is a gravel?

thepodge
    Free Member

Some mountain bike routes have road bits to join it all together

To me, gravel is road riding with off road bits to join it up.

DickBarton

I did read the op and I answered it…it became a verb when the marketing people realised they had something else they could use to sell the same bikes…they used it and then the public adopted it…

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Isn’t it really just that people have started to admit that having a bike that does a bit of everything but is still quite ‘sporty’ is actually quite a good idea?
    Gravel is a just a way of making hybrids acceptable again 😀

nickc

gravel biking = I’ve no proper mountain biking near me and I’m not fit enough to keep up with the local roadies. 😆

funkmasterp

I think it came about because ‘can do a bit of road, some light touring, commuting, singletrack and off road (but not proper off road) all with some compromises if you’re willing to live with them’ just wasn’t quite as catchy for the marketing department.

I have one, it’s just a bike that suits what I currently do. Only being able to have one bike it suits me down to the ground. It’s bloody great for general pissing about

nickhit3
    Free Member

I have one, it’s just a bike that suits what I currently do. Only being able to have one bike it suits me down to the ground. It’s bloody great for general pissing about

sounds ok to me.

joemmo
    Free Member

Tbh I haven’t read ‘gravelling’ used in any marketing and only somewhat knowingly in discussion or press. Gravel biking, riding, racing etc but not actually gravelling.

It’s in the same category as someone using ‘Enduro’ as an adjective (bro, those goggles are totally enduro). Just people playing with words.

Gravel – Yes it’s a current marketing trend but I like the bikes so I’m not too narked by it.

If someone gravels does that make them a graveller?

Superficial
    Free Member

I guess the term comes from the US where they have massive networks of fire road trails for hundreds of kms at a time. We don’t really have that here so the name ‘gravel bike’ is a bit silly.

But as above, they really are the one bike that can do it all, and can be a lot of fun. If I could only have one bike (for commuting, road and off road) it’d be a gravel bike like my Croix de Fer. I’m glad I can have more than 1 though because you can’t ride proper mountains biking on a gravel bike (I’m sure some people will argue that point).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I guess the term comes from the US where they have massive networks of fire road trails for hundreds of kms at a time. We don’t really have that here so the name ‘gravel bike’ is a bit silly.

Yep.

The gravel roads in the flyover states are where I see a lot of it coming from.

Equally though, we talk about riding ‘mountain bikes’ when very few ever see a mountain. A descriptive term, little more.

Harry_the_Spider

“Gravel” is up there with “Artisan” and “Hand Cut” when it comes to sounding like a ****.

scruff
    Free Member

It’s relaxed off road riding whilst looking at clouds n’that, with headwinds.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

gravel biking = I’ve no proper mountain biking near me and I’m not fit enough to keep up sad enough to want to go out with the local roadies.

It’s making the best of the local riding.

The narrower your tyres and the less suspension the more technical the offroad seems, so this type of bike makes the most of your local bridleways/flat forest trails, etc.

Plus the drop bar position enhances it further and also helps with alternating to standing sprints compared with a mtb position.

Riding roads is a completely different proposition, no naturally undulating ground to ride/pump, no small drops, no occasional bumpy sections to ride. No cars to contend with, no or less fumes to breath.

rOcKeTdOg
    DickBarton

If someone gravels does that make them a graveller?

Surely they’d be a gravy?

Makes no odds to me about the bikes, if people enjoy riding them then it is all good stuff. I just get wound up by the marketing hype over things that have been around and been used for years…

kerley
    Free Member

If there is an activity of laying gravel, then gravelling would cover that, i.e. putting gravel on your driveway.

You could do that while riding your bike but doesn’t sound like the quickest way to get the job done.

nickc

TurnerGuy, was only gently taking the pee, you’ve no need to justify anything you enjoy doing. 😀

nedrapier

my bike gravelling last last month.

20mm recycled drainage gravel, if you’re interested.

joemmo
    Free Member

Nobody seems keen to adopt ‘Trailcentreing’ or ‘bikeparking’ for an alternative to Mountainbiking although it’s perhaps more honest description of a lot of folks off-road cycling. Doesn’t quite have the same x-treme vibe somehow.

on the topic of the actual bikes: cross bikes have obviously been around for years, I reckon the main ‘innovation’ such as it is with the newer bikes is more generous tyre clearance or dual wheel compatibility + early disc brake adoption onto drop bar bikes. Other than that, yes, not a lot new.

Although I’ve had a couple of proper roadie bikes, these sort of things are perfect for me. My commute takes in some bridleways – some with actual gravel on them – road and some farm tracks. There’s also a network of old coal wagon lines on my doorstep that have been turned into bridleways and are good fun on a cross bike but a bit dull on MTB. I likes them.

13thfloormonk

marketing hype over things that have been around and been used for years

Not a personal dig DB, but this sort of argument has been trotted out every time the bike industry has recognised a niche and tried to exploit it.

Yes it’s part marketing BS, but also I’d argue there are always subtle nuances which make each niche distinct. I’d also suggest the manufacturers see the niche developing, design bikes around it, and THEN enter the marketing men.

Bikebacking is touring without racks and panniers, the idea being that the bikes handle better/ar emore versatile.

Gravel is CX but predominantly on smooth tracks/forest roads, and probably over longer distances, so no need for the higher BB and probably a more comfort oriented geometry.

Yes the distinctions are small, and yes you could ‘gravel’ on a ‘CX’ bike, or ‘CX’ on a gravel bike (nod to the OP 😉 ) but to claim it’s 100% marketing BS is either laziness, or failing to see the small differences.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Anyone for Tarmacing, or asphalting to be more precise?…

Kryton57

Last Sunday I could have braved the traffic and ridden my road bike to MIL’s. Instead I took my SSCX down the canal towpaths, saw some wildlife, was a lot less scary than Tottenham’s two way one way system.

This morning I could have braved the morning commuting traffic, or gone to the Forest where its extremely muddy, the mud doesn’t bother me but I do have to work. Instead I rode 1.4km to a park which has hardback footways with small loose gravel (yes really) and a some grassy bits to ride several 4km loops – Gunpowder park if anyone’s interested – and avoided all the school runs / post ride cleaning.

In both cases my SSCX sitting in the shed with lights on with perfect for both, just pluck it out and ride it. And I think thats the point – its about being able to pick up a bike and ride it around places, whereas the Road and MTB are more specific tools for a specific job.

DickBarton

Didn’t see that as a dig but it is just marketing…putting a new spin on the same thing to sell it on again. It happens with everything…at the end of the day, it is a bike that can be ridden across various terrains…which has been around long before the mountain bike as well…so if a marketing department can get mileage from renaming something to sell more than that is what happens…

molgrips
    Free Member

I mean obviosusly this is cycling so I know you probably need a very specific (and expensive) bike to do so

If you can all put your obstructive cynicism aside for a while, even though I know how important it makes you all feel..

A gravel bike is different to a road bike. It has fatter tyres. And there are now loads of them available, often very economically priced. Many road bikes cannot fit larger tyres on, but these can.

So you could call it a bigger-tyred-more-relaxed-geometry road bike, but why the hell would you? You all ride mountain bikes, and not fat-tyred-suspension-fittable-flat-barred bikes, don’t you?

I don’t understand why you are all moaning so bitterly. Gravel bikes are popular, cheap, better for many of us than road bikes, and yet a different riding position to MTBs. Why’s there a problem? No-one’s calling them a revolutionary innovation, are they? It’s just another design of bike – bikes are good.

It is new in the sense that most major manufacturers how have bikes to suit it. 10 years ago they didn’t. CX bikes were a rare niche. You can walk into a shop and ask for a gravel bike. In the past, if you’d gone in and asked for a road bike with room for 40c tyres you’d have either been given a funny look or offered a cheap sit-up hybrid.

Bikepacking is not touring. Touring is doing it on roads and camping in campsites if at all; bikepacking is off-road and is predominantly wild camping. What’s the problem with using a word to describe an activity? Of course it’s not new, no-one’s claiming otherwise.

Put your whinging into something positive!

kelron
    Free Member

It seems like a useful description, if you’re not being pedantic about specifically riding on gravel.

A lot of bike shops have their “all road” or “adventure” or “gravel” bikes lumped in with the road category, and it’s hard to find information on tyre clearance.

There definitely seems to be a markup for buying a trendy niche bike but it’s nice to know if you’re looking at a bike designed for the riding you want.

molgrips
    Free Member

Pinnacle Arkose, £800. Fail to see who’s being fleeced there.

13thfloormonk

Didn’t see that as a dig but it is just marketing…putting a new spin on the same thing to sell it on again.

But it’s not the same thing, that’s my point. A gravel bike is not the same as a CX bike. The differences are there if you look.

Sure, if you already have a CX bike I personally wouldn’t try and insist you replace it with a gravel bike, but if you’re in the market for a new bike, and predominantly want to ride easy tracks, for rides longer than an hour, and don’t fancy racing 200 other masochists in a field at the same time, then a ‘gravel’ bike will be a slightly better choice than a ‘CX’ bike.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘Gravel – when did it officially’ is closed to new replies.