Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gravel across Kent?
  • charliemort

I live near Sevenoaks but trail knowledge runs out around Wrotham

Got some friends coming over from Belgium who want to “gravel” ride from Dover to Sevenoaks ish

anyone got any suggestions?

cheers

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

If they’re coming from the Ferry terminal, then the coast path up towards Folkestone is interesting. Or go in the other direction towards Ramsgate, Reculver, Herne Bay, then drop down the Crab&Winkle way to Canterbury.
    Also, From Ashford, you can pick up the Pilgrims way towards Maidstone. After that though, I’m not sure.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Yeah I’d say your best bet would be to pick up Pilgrims way/North Downs out from Dover where you can ride this to just above Maidstone where I would then drop down off the downs and through Leybourne Lakes to Ryarsh area (past Coldrum Long barrow perhaps) via the Bridge at Aylesford or ‘maybe’ the new one – Pilgrims way again beneath Trosley and then on to Sevenoaks-nice historic ride with lots to see.
    Your other more direct option may of been Greensand way which is more direct but….all cheeky and all over the place.
    If you want me to knock a GPX up give us a shout Charlie.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’ve eyed up that way past the Long Barrow before, is much of it rideable?

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Its all very rideable to there ,could even take in the other Megaliths (Kits Coty,Little Kits Coty and the White Horse Stone)-on the east Side of the Medway en route to it via the new Medway Bridge. As a caveat to all this I ride a Mountain Bike but would of thought a gravel type bike should be robust enough to take on our varied Kentish bridalways?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I think even most roads in Kent qualify as “Gravel”…..I’ll have to plan a route sometime.

tenfoot

Parts of the Pilgrim’s Way around the Maidstone area can get very boggy, but if they’re coming soon, at the moment they are ok. I have ridden from Harrietsham to Maidstone, and from Birling to Trosley, on the Pilgrims way on an Arkose, and in the dry it was fine.

EDIT

-on the east Side of the Medway en route to it via the new Medway Bridge

…..is a good shout – the bridge is called Peter’s Bridge

charliemort

Gravesebdgrunt – that would be great if not too much hassle.

I’ll probably meet them around Maidstone, possibly Canterbury / ashford if I have time

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

See what you think of this Charlie – I end route in Seal,I’m sure you will be good from there .
    Dover to Sevenoaks Route

Click on ‘Menu’ to get to ‘export GPX’

ibnchris

gonna nap this route for sure 😉 be even better if it went to Tonbridge mind…

alaric

The Rights of way map might help with planning…

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

This is an amended route-there was one bit on original-that didn’t look as if it was there on Google Earth :
    Dover to Sevenoaks

geeweepee
    Free Member

From Dover Port,take cycle track to Capel le Ferne,along the top of cliffs,then take a combination of bridleway a minor roads to Hawkinge.From there more byway/bridleway/minor roads will get you to Barham.Cross A2 on new bridge,then take North Downs Way to Canterbury.From there take cycle at towards Ashford,then pick up Pilgrims way,to West Kent.

charliemort

thanks gravesendgrunt – but I’m getting this message?

This route has either been deleted or made private and can no longer be viewed

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Try second link to amended route further down thread-I did indeed delete first one to save confusion.

kelron
    Free Member

There’s some fun gravel routes from Blue Bell Hill above Maidstone going west along the top of the downs, but I only know a fairly short stretch. I started exploring the north downs way from Cuxton but a lot of it is footpath, not sure how rideable it would be on gravel bikes.

charliemort

wow – thanks!! that’s brilliant

cheers

charlie

charliemort

Well they did using the gpx gravesendgrunt sent and other advice on here and had a great week end. Rode about 250 km

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Great stuff-I saw some pics on Facebook and wondered if they had used that route,glad you had fun 😀

robbo1234biking

I think even most roads in Kent qualify as “Gravel”…..I’ll have to plan a route sometime.

I grew up in Kent and still visit family there. I always though B roads were like that in the rest of the country. Gravelly and narrow. My wife hates the roads as by comparison the roads in Yorkshire are sublime!

charliemort

gravesend – buzz me a facebook address and i’ll forward their posts

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Gravel across Kent?’ is closed to new replies.