Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Graphics card – linking 2 monitors
  • singletracksurfer

wanted to get a 2nd monitor to go with my current one.

is it a graphics card I need to install – any type or recommendations?

Thanks.

richmars

Yes, just check your existing card can't drive two first.

jonk

Get a graphics card with dual outputs or a usb adapter that can run multiple monitors such as this one
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Scan-USB2-VGAHRS-USB-20-to-VGA-Adaptor-for-SVGA-Monitor-output-%28Max-6%29-supports-up-to-1920×1200

singletracksurfer

Thanks.

richmars – how would I know if it can take 2?

jonk – whats the benefits of one over the other?

richmars

For Windows, look in Control Panel or the set up for the graphics card. It should say how you want to use twin monitors (if you can). If it doesn't you likely have one that just drives a single monitor.

singletracksurfer

excellent thanks. (will check it – pc at work).

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

or look on the back and see if it has 2 sockets…

singletracksurfer

ohh even easier. Thanks.

theyEye
    Free Member

look into Matrox dualhead2go or triplehead2go. little portable box, will turn a single VGA/DVI out into 2 or 3. And 2 boxes will turn 2 outs into 4 or 6. Used the triple on my laptop for about 2 years, now on my desktop. Happy as a clam. The main advantage is that it's external, so will work with laptops or when your slots are all used up, and it's pretty portable between computers. Different models for VGA and DVI, so pick the right one. But it's not that cheap.

But if you're after 2 monitors and you have a slot available, then the cheapest option is just to buy another graphic card (provided yours doesn't support 2 already)…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Graphics card – linking 2 monitors’ is closed to new replies.