Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Grandparents and 3D TV
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

True story.

I treated myself to a GoPro Hero 2 this week. In my excitement about my new gadget I mentioned it to my Grandad on the phone and told him how the image you get from the camera is High Definition and really incredible. I then told him that if you buy two cameras and a special case you can record in 3D. He asked how that worked and because he’s 89 and not exactly technically minded I explained that basically if you record the same image twice side by side it will produce a video in 3D.

Later that day my Nan called and said ” how does this 3D thing work? You’re Grandad has just recorded the same episode of Judge Judy on ITV2 and ITV2+1 on the Sky box and wants to watch it in 3D”.

It took a long time to ‘unexplain’ my previous explanation on the principles of 3D recording.

toby1

Maybe his left eye is processing things an hour behind his right eye 🙂

Genius!

alfabus
    Free Member

don’t be so quick to put it down to age… I know a lot of people my age (30) who wouldn’t be able to grasp the concept of recording and playing back in 3D… I also know some very switched on ex-engineers in their 70s/80s who would get it in a flash if you explained it without relying on buzzword laden gadgets 🙂

His Judge Judy in 3D technique is pretty special though!

Dave

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andycs

Thanks for brightening up a dull morning, much laughter here!!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

don’t be so quick to put it down to age… I know a lot of people my age (30) who wouldn’t be able to grasp the concept of recording and playing back in 3D… I also know some very switched on ex-engineers in their 70s/80s who would get it in a flash if you explained it without relying on buzzword laden gadget

I was just sharing a story that made me laugh. No comment on age relating to technical knowledge intended. 🙄

alfabus
    Free Member

I was just sharing a story that made me laugh. No comment on age relating to technical knowledge intended.

I was just replying to your amusing story, no rolling eyes required. 🙄

thomthumb
    Free Member

i think he fancies judge judy! 😯

scuttler

Vaguely reminds me of an April Fools Radio One did when it was on medium wave. They were going to broadcast different signals on 1053 and 1089 or whatever they were broadcasting on and by positioning the radios you’d get a crackly stereo sound. I fell for it being shit-hot at physics and it turned out it was a wind-up. To this day I can’t see why it wouldn’t actually work but then the interwebs, Dolby 100.1, high-def came along and no one cares anymore…

molgrips
    Free Member

Scuttler – that would have worked had they done it 🙂

I think you’ll find that FM radio came along which is why no-one took that up.

Rubber_Buccaneer

fervouredimage,your grandfather is nearly there. All he needs now is a second TV (ideally the same size as the first) and a couple of cardboard tubes from the centre of kitchen rolls (toilet rolls are OK but the 3D effect isn’t as good), one for each eye.

It works, honest….

fervouredimage
    Free Member

But imagine Judge Judy in 3D. Terrifying.

portlyone

Judge Judy was the test. Baywatch is next 😉

jon1973
    Free Member

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My 5 year old was watching a 3D TV in Currys a few weeks back. He actually fell over backwards when something came at him! 😆

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Grandparents and 3D TV’ is closed to new replies.