Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Grand Designs houses- where are they?
  • Ambrose

I think I saw a thread a while back referring to the ‘Huf House’ from Grand Designs. Does anyone know where any of the other houses featured in the series are? There is supposedly one quite close to me, in Llandeilo.

tails
    Free Member

theres one beside the railway on the way into kingscross. is there a website/forum

midlifecrashes

One across the park from me, series one, “The Glass House”. It’s all on the C4 website. Might have been a nice house in the right setting, but wasn’t finished well, has crap views (relatively), and makes poor use of the outdoor space. I wouldn’t swap my place for it. Prefer older houses myself. Quite like Huf though, and the Art Deco place the pilot built, but it was a bit small and in a dull street.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Was the place near Manaton on Dartmoor, by where the bridleways cross to go down into Lustleigh Cleave/off down toward Trendlebeare ever on that show? (the place with the glass front and the bridged lake in the garden). Fairly recently built and one VERY nice gaff.

skidartist
    Free Member

You are just too late to rent this one

nasher
    Free Member

THe huff house is 2 minutes from me at the mo, nd there is an other opposite

pretty cool houses tho.

avdave2

There’s one in Newhaven. It was in the first series, but it,s not all that easy to find. I’ve ridden on the cliff tops around it but still haven’t actually seen it.

scott-b
    Free Member

Theres one in the middle of Doncaster. Looks a bit wierd though. Like most of them would probably be better in a different location.

KonaTC
    KonaTC
    ironbrucove

Don’t you live in one of them Ambrose?

Ambrose

Is that you Adam?

And I wish I could get on with the conversions but wage cuts and lack of capital are stalling things at the moment. Not that this will ever be a candidate for the show. But what about Fferam Fachwen…

Pigface
    Free Member

I am sitting in one right now 🙂 it is on the website and was in the first series. Built in Berkshire, its not mine just my friends. Amazing house but wouldnt own it.

Moda
    Free Member

Theres another right on the seafront as you enter Worthing in Sussex

househusband

The Midlothian Lime Kiln House is a few miles up the road from us.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

The one that most of the roof was made out of copper and it was lots of octagons is in the centre of Oxford! I’m wondering wehther the copper is still left or if it’s been stolen for scrap!!??

ironbrucove

Of course Andrew,
    It’s compulsory to do major civil engineering including 1000’s tons of concrete to quality for GD so Fachwen wouldn’t be good given the road sorry track!, Although building a new road could let it qualify for GD? It should be called Grand Geotechnics

gamo
    Free Member

Ditto what HH said!

Ambrose

ironbrucove- think of what all that slate could be used for! And there is no shortage of rainwater to capture. biggest prob would be getting the film crew to the site.

How’s Sam, still smiling I hope. Thanks for the card btw.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Hellifield Peel (also known as Peel Castle) in Hellifield in the Yorkshire Dales was so unique they did a special 2hr Grand Designs on it. I think it won Grand Design of the year in 2003 or there abouts. Anyway, they went so far over budget that the owners now do B&B to pay for it. so you can actually stay in the Fortified House at a reasonable price and the people who own it are very nice.

Hellifield Peel

ironbrucove

I’ve been try to work out a use for waste slate for years, still no ideas. I don’t think rain capture water would be an issue, it already runs down the inside of the walls doesn’t it. The solar power would be though??
    Sam is on good form, still grinning away and wide awake as you can tell by the time. What card??

I remember that Peel Castle episode, that was mental, total dedication they were lucky he was an architect so knew how the negotiate with Natural England,

Ambrose

OK folks, good job so far- how about Grid Refs or Google Earth locations?

Wibble
    Free Member

This one is just outside Lambourn I think. Here.

BigBoyXC
    Free Member

you can win the one in Cheltenham………

http://www.winthecheltenhamhouse.com

some good riding around here, Leckhampton, cleeve, Cranham, Malverns……

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I seen one up for sale recently in Balfron, stirlingshire. So much for it being their ‘dream home’. Either that or they like the house, just not each other!.

skidartist
    Free Member

Its for rent, not for sale – see my link above.

birdy
    Free Member

The chap who built a cruck frame building in the woods lives locally to me. cruck house

pk-ripper
    Free Member

the huf house is about 10 mins from me – there’s another one on Kingston Hill though – I quite like them.

Swello
    Free Member

There’s one on Coburg St in Leith (Edinburgh’s port) – Owned by the people who have the Alien Rock climbing wall in Newhaven (Edinburgh’s smaller port 🙂 ) IIRC – nice looking place – although it kind of lives in the car park of some new flats…..

tandemwarriors

The Oak Framed House is across the Clyde from us on the Rosneath peninsula. Can see it from the Dunoon-Gourock ferry. Awesome outlook!

Ambrose

I’m still loving the programme. Keeping Uncle Kevin away though- I don’t want Mrs Ambrose to have another baby at the moment!

CountZero

The Apprentice Store house is just along the valley going out of Bath. See http://www.theapprenticestore.com

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs houses- where are they?’ is closed to new replies.