Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Grand Depart Tourmakers
  • iain1775
    Free Member

Anyone else apply to volunteer?
    I filled in the application last week, just been invited to submit a video interview for the next stage, whatever that involves

palmer77
    Free Member

Yep, same. Where did you apply for?

rockhopperbike

ditto,- , wanna meet n greet all the posh totty- will probably end up guarding a porta loo somewhere foggy!

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Just submitted my application, hopefully I’ll be out on the route doing something.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I heard they intend to do a criminal record check on everyone. Not entirely sure, given the nature of the event, what the point of this is.

If for example I’m a crazed loon intent on stabbing one of the riders then surely I can do it equally as well from the comfort of a cushdy vantage point half way up one of the climbs.

iain1775
    Free Member

I don’t have anything to hide so not bothered if they do or don’t

BristolPablo
    Free Member

Had an email today saying I am doing something around sector 3 on stage 2 (Harrogate). I asked to be a course marshal so hopefully will achieve my ambition of standing in front of a traffic island waving a small triangular orange flag… 🙂

chipster

I applied yonks ago. There was mention of a video interview in one of the emails, but all I’ve been through is “online training”. I was accepted a couple of weeks after that and was invited to an orientation day, with a choice, Leeds Arena on the 24th May or London Copper Box on 1st June.
    I got an email yesterday –
    “We are pleased to offer you a role on Stage 1 on Saturday 5th July of the Tour de France 2014. You will be positioned on or around Sector 8.

There is a map on the Tour Maker website in the ‘About the Tour’ section that shows where each Sector starts and ends http://www.asda.jobs/tourmakers/ .”

The orientation day is supposed to be when we get to know what we’ll be doing on the day.

HTH

iain1775
    Free Member

I’m on day 2 around Langsett res in the Peaks so pretty ideal for me
    Only problem is I may not be able to attend the 2nd training day in June as I may be overseas with work in June, in which case I forfeit my place 🙁

chipster

I’ve got the email this aft, I’ve been allocated an off-route role.
    Errm, I’ll have to think about that.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

chipster – Member
    I’ve got the email this aft, I’ve been allocated an off-route role.
    Errm, I’ll have to think about that.

+1

And they ask me to be in Skipton for 06.00 when I live in Harrogate 🙁

Would have loved to be involved but think I may have to give it a miss and just enjoy it

chipster

My check in is 6:30 in Skipton. I’m camping in Aysgarth, so IIRC, I’d have to ride down the course to Skipton, be bused back up the course to Kettlewell/Kidstones, not see the Tour pass by, then get taken back down to Skipton for my 28 mile ride back up the course to Aysgarth.
    Or, I can stay in bed, get up at a reasonable hour and watch from outside the pub in Aysgarth.

TPTcruiser

Can you swap at this late stage? Get a more reasonable task/position.
    Stage 2 here, on track task with rendezvous near Hillsborough Leisure Centre. Got to be there at 9.30, I guess the riders come through about 16.00.

unovolo
    Free Member

Got a On route position on Stage 2-Segment 1(York)need to be there for 5.30am- I live near Glossop!

I would really like to take part but with all the travelling and early start really don’t know if I can be ar5ed, or spend 30mins cycling over to Woodhead and just spectate instead.

iain1775
    Free Member

Yep off route here too, unfeasably early, remote check in and won’t get back until 10pm
    That’s a 5am-midnight day for me (following a nights camping and long day watching then driving all the way home on the Sat), stood off route welcoming people without seeing any action
    I’ve got to drive to Heathrow for work early doors the next day to catch a 16 hour flight so that’s also my volunteering over before it properly began

I think at this rate, they will be very short of volunteers at next weeks training days everyone I’ve spoke to today is reconsidering

iain1775
    Free Member

Before I declined the role I thought I’d check details and turns out as well as wanting me to get from Derby to Penistone for 7.30, meaning my only option is to drive, they are charging £5 to park for the day
    I’m giving my time – 3 days of it in total, spending my own money on petrol, probably about £80 at least and they want to charge for parking!!
    On your bike, I’ve declined the role and withdrawn my application now, shame I was looking forward to helping out but charging me to do so is taking the piss!

mickmcd
    Free Member

Before I declined the role I thought I’d check details and turns out as well as wanting me to get from Derby to Penistone for 7.30, meaning my only option is to drive, they are charging £5 to park for the day
    I’m giving my time – 3 days of it in total, spending my own money on petrol, probably about £80 at least and they want to charge for parking!!
    On your bike, I’ve declined the role and withdrawn my application now, shame I was looking forward to helping out but charging me to do so is taking the piss!

if you’d said you could have parked up for free where I am in penistone

a lot of the folk I talk to here in the village have had it up to their eyeballs with all the bollocks and demands being placed on em,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Grand Depart Tourmakers’ is closed to new replies.