• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jecca.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gran Canaria road biking, any must do's?
  • nasher
    Free Member

Heading this Friday on a DIY road biking trip, so any climbs, loops caffe stops I should include?

EDIT: staying Playas del Ingles, no idea what it’s like but it was cheap and near the bike hire place..

Cheers

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There is a road that leaves the north centre of Playa Del Ingles/Maspalomas and run north. It takes you up into the mountains.
    Once you’re up there all the roads are awesome.

It’s rather steep

Lucas
    Free Member

Freemotion have a load of rides that they can tell you about when you hire the bike, most start with the road out the north of playa Del lngles that me hero mentions. Have a look on bikely, strava etc for the routes so you can get them on your GPS before you go.

My wife is from las Palma’s so I’ve been loads but only ever done one ride. It was in the summer and very hot, I had to stop to buy water to pour on my head! You’ll be OK at this time of year but it will still be warm. Once out of town (about 5 mins) the roads are amazing, so smooth, twisty and quiet. I hired a cannondale super 6 and rode up the mountain turned left and came back down and back along the old coast road, about 40 miles and it was a great ride. It was the 6th one down here.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Coast route from maspalomas heading back to the airport is really windy all the time, head up into the mountains, temperature goes up nicely and you can climb relentlessly.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

+1 for freemotion routes as well as the 20 GC routes on the iphone app. We rode for a week there, pico de las nieves is the highest peak and worth doing. We stayed away mostly from the coast, aside to ride from Playa – Mogan and into the mountains that way for a change. Its all very hilly – the first day we did 2,000m of ascent in ~40km which was pretty constant uphill.

This route is one of the toughest, with the valley of tears nearly doing just that given my gearing choice of 39/25 – i was gripping my bars so tightly just to get up the climb that my fingers bled!! Its around 3,200m of ascent and 125km ish. http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/travel/top-rides-gran-canarias-valley-of-the-tears/#.VKhBsCusWSo%5D Its down as the Vott light here with a route to download http://www.cyclegrancanaria.com/shop/gpx-tcx-downloads/

Enjoy, jealous, stunning weather when we were there in November.

Haze

Very jealous, had a break there in the summer and had an explore by hire car.

Will not go back without my bike, the road up from Mogan (GC200 onto the 605 and/or 505) was particularly tasty 🙂

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

As above Freemotion were very good to deal with. Sure they can recommend some routes.

Pack your climbing legs.

Just one thing to note; when we were there in February it was about 20 degrees on the coast but very close to freezing at the top of the mountains….

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Great timed post as I’m off there for a week with the family in the beginning of February and had planned to find a hire bike and ride for a few days. Free motion it is then. Will contact them tomorrow.

dickie
    Free Member

Yes, great timing indeed – Wife & I are stay in Amadores for a week from the 24th Jan. A couple of Cannondale Synapse booked for 5 days from Free Motion in Mogan.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I’m out there for 10 days from the 17th. My parents live out there and I have a road bike in their garage. All the free motion routes are good ones and cover most of the options from playa – because of the mountains there are only a certain number of places you can get across them to do a loop rather than an out and back (although I tend to do Soria as an out and back anyway).

I have access to a van so try to do some riding in the north too but there’s plenty in the south to keep you occupied for a week. My favoutite climb is the one at the back of mogan towards the tauropass/press de las ninas.

jecca
    Free Member

WARNING. Thread hijack!
    What is the walking like around Las Palmas?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gran Canaria road biking, any must do's?’ is closed to new replies.