Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Grammar conundrum
  • matt_outandabout

I cannot work out the correct grammar or change in phrasing for this. Please help me!

How will the school, community and partners translate a change in play provision into increased health and wellbeing, and increased achievement and attainment?

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Looks OK to me? Maybe another comma after partners?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Probably a few too many “ands” and one too many “increased”.

So maybe, and I’m not thinking hard about this, but… “…into improved health & wellbeing combined with higher achievement and attainment.”

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Or substitute the third “and” for “as well as”

stumpy01

I’d just lose the ‘and increased’ before ‘achievement’ so it reads:

How will the school, community and partners translate a change in play provision into increased health and wellbeing, achievement and attainment?

The first ‘increased’ is implied for the rest of the sentence, I think.

That’s how I would read it anyway.

convert

Or substitute the third “and” for “as well as”

this

Plus an alternative for the second ‘increased’…..’enhanced’ or ‘improved’?

jon1973
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How will the school kicking the kids out as often as possible make them more better

slowoldgit
    Free Member

… and into increased… maybe?

Moses

How will selling the school playing fields provide a kickback for governors and their friends?

johndoh
    Free Member

health and wellbeing, and increased achievement and attainment?

health & wellbeing, and increased achievement & attainment?

(My understanding is that you use an ampersand to abridge two connected/associated words – ie, fish & chips, salt & vinegar).

matt_outandabout

How will the school kicking the kids out as often as possible make them more better

You asked. 😉

http://www.ltl.org.uk/resources/results.php?id=779

http://www.ltl.org.uk/resources/results.php?id=712

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImZhcNIL07s[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pot8EhKUdI[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SkzHu3LoQ[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

Translate isn’t the right word. Also Attainment is superfluous.

How will the school, community and partners accept a change in play provision while improving health, wellbeing, and achievement?

Or:

How will a change in play provision affect the efforts of school, community and partners to improve health, wellbeing and achievement?

stever
    Free Member

How will the school, community and partners translate a change in play provision into increased health, wellbeing and achievement?

stever
    Free Member

How will better play provision translate into increased health, wellbeing and achievement?

stever
    Free Member

I can cut further if you like 🙂

Edric64
    Free Member

Will better play provision increase health and achievement ?

Cuts all the flannel out ?

bearnecessities

Kind of tricky without knowing context and direction of the rest of the document, but how about:

How will an improvement in play provision lead to increased wellbeing and additionally, achievement?

or

How can we get the little tikes outdoors and doing better in examns ‘n’ stuff?

globalti
    Free Member

It’s better for being shorter.

Mackem

more play = more pay

Cougar

Less is more, unless you’re in middle management. Do you need to list all the parties or can you glean that from context? Health and well-being are more or less the same thing, as are achievement and attainment. No?

How about:

“How will we improve [pupil?] health and achievement by changing play provision?”

“Play provision” is clunky, but it’s hard to change without knowing what you mean (which demonstrates quite nicely that it’s gibberish). Are you reducing playtime? Increasing available options? Then say that.

GrahamS

I like stever’s version. Scans well:

How will the school, community and partners translate a change in play provision into increased health, wellbeing and achievement?

Leaves out “attainment” but I think that might be redundant depending on the context.

convert

as are achievement and attainment. No?

You have not been around a game of OFSTED bullshit bingo!

Attainment is raw scores – GCSE results or Levels attained.
    Achievement is attainment, adjusted for the prior attainment of the pupils (i.e. progress).

It’s COMPLETELY different I’m telling you, and not at all a bunch of bollox.

And breath….

TiRed

How will the school, community and partners translate a change in play provision into increased health and well-being, achievement and attainment?

matt_outandabout

Cheers all, shorter(ish) and better for it.

For context, it is part of an application form for a secondary school to spend a shed load of Tax payers money on a great playground makeover, training and support from GfL.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Grammar conundrum’ is closed to new replies.