Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Graffiti writer faces jail…
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Their urban space. Try to pay attention konabunny.

M6TTF
    Free Member

Looks a frickin mess, costs a small fortune to clean up, not the first time he’s been hauled up for it. Short stay a HMP possibly not the best punishment. Stif brush and turps to clean up the mess and enrol him on a foundation art course so he can learn to draw properly

yunki
    Free Member

I think it’s ugly as sin and a nuisance and possibly one of the biggest contributing factors to broken window syndrome..

his egotism and negativity certainly seem to have crystallised his form of expression to a very base level.. but surely that’s a symptom of an existance hewn from within the detritus of urban excess and decay..?

It’s an artform that has given itself over entirely to the whims of the city and it’s flatulent pulse..

and as heart beats bring percussions
    fallen trees bring reprocussions
    citys play upon our souls like broken drums
    redrum the essence of creation from city slums
    but city slums mute our drums and our drums become humdrums
    cuz city slums have never been where our drums are from
    just the place where our daughters and sons become
    offbeat heartbeats
    slaves to city streets

an excerpt from ‘twice the first time’ Saul Williams

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Short stay a HMP possibly not the best punishment.

Indeed.

We get taggers round our neighbourhood – just makes the place look a bit of a dump every time they have a round of it. There’s no point in sending any of them to prison though. A few weeks spent with the clean-up team cleaning their tags off would sort them out fairly quickly – it’s just a bit of restorative justice.

donsimon
    Free Member

If you stand still long enough in Madrid, you’ll probably get tagged by some young tyke, I have no time for taggers. Neither on the street or here. 😈
    Graffiti artists on the other hand…

trailmonkey

but surely that’s a symptom of an existance hewn from within the detritus of urban excess and decay..?

It’s an artform that has given itself over entirely to the whims of the city and it’s flatulent pulse..

could i suggest that sir is somewhat over reaching in their search for the magic brasso to polish what is a turd of some magnitude ?

convert

If I was a true street/graffiti artist I’d be right hacked off to be lumped in with the taggers. One often has wit and guile as well as aesthetic appeal whilst the other is on a par with those adolescent boys who feel compelled to draw a self portrait of their knob on a school desk. Fortunately most grow out of it before they do too much damage. To still be doing it at 26 must be an indication of mental health problems. The same could be said of still playing out on your push bike at 40 I suppose…..

yunki
    Free Member

could i suggest that sir is somewhat over reaching in their search for the magic brasso to polish what is a turd of some magnitude ?

you could.. and you would be right to do so.. 🙂

wwaswas

you get a better class of tagging near the coast;

http://lookatstreet.blogspot.com/2009/02/uk-graffitibrighton.html

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

That’s hardly ‘tagging’, is it? 😆

Dunno about it’s ‘their’ space; it’s ‘my’ space too, and I don’t want to see stupid tags everywhere.

on a par with those adolescent boys who feel compelled to draw a self portrait of their knob on a school desk

Perfectly put.

they don’t give a **** what you think

What a selfish and anti-social attitude they have towards others then. Not very nice, is it? Shall I just vandalise property/throw litter in the street to show how I ‘don’t give a **** what others think’, then? How about I come and do that outside your house?

At least proper graffiti artists create something that stimulates thought and imagination and that. Taggers offer nothing culturally or socially.

yunki
    Free Member

Freezie
    Free Member

At least proper graffiti artists street artists create something that stimulates thought and imagination and that. Taggers offer nothing culturally or socially.

Going back to the 1980’s ‘proper’ graffiti artists tagged AND pieced, be thankful its nowhere near as endemic as it was 20+ years ago. I’d jail this guy just having a crap tag and a crap hand style.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Banksy = 6th form art college w*nk.

He’s so clever, he always makes me stop and think: “What a c*nt.”

yunki
    Free Member

very insightful gary.. thanks for the input.. you have greatly enriched this thread with your observations..

you can have a sticky star

GlitterGary
    Free Member

About 100% more insightful than Banksy then.

8)

Are you the Lord of the Threads or something? Apologies I didn’t get your approval, oh mighty one.

Kevevs
    Free Member

it’s definitely a “Look at me. I’m here” thing I reckon. Empowerment. definiteley a certain psychology. but when we are totally battered by images, every second, everyday, telling us to do this or that. I don’t have a problem with people sticking their name up. It’s a question of aesthetics and motivation! make it look better!

Viewing 16 posts - 41 through 56 (of 56 total)

The topic ‘Graffiti writer faces jail…’ is closed to new replies.