Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GPXers and Strava route followers
  • scuttler

Genuine question for people who look primarily for GPX and Strava routes – if you’ve not been brought up on a diet of map reading and route planning, which of these is of most use to you. You can say both if you seek reassurance from cross referencing a track with map features.

PS I’ve no idea what level of detail you get with a typical bike GPS – does it cover the middle ground.

PS yeah I know its a footpath etc etc.

acidtest
    Free Member

A real map is too much hassle for me when out biking. Viewranger with OSmaps is far more convenient. I use Strava but the route part of the app is pretty crap, too many orange lines all over the place from what I remember.

mark90
    Free Member

Brought up on a diet of OS maps. I use MMTracker with OS maps (1:25k usually) for navigation, and Strava only to record, or upload the route from MMTracker if I record on that. If following a gpx file I’d load it in to MMTracker and manually follow it on there. Quick look at the next few junctions when I stop to catch my breath (frequently).

spacemonkey

Doesn’t MMTracker require a load of configuration (on mobile) due to it going obsolete a couple of years ago? I’m sure I had a play around that time and it went wappy.

Tend to use Strava these days.

Have trialed Viewranger and it’s very good. Does cost a few quid if you want to cover a large area though.

Just remembered I also use BackCountry Navigator. Poor UI and compass is not entirely accurate. Tis free though once you’ve paid a tenner or so for the app.

jimdubleyou

I stick routes onto my 520 with mapping.

The track + the map is useful. Especially when it tells you you’re off route and you’re on the only road I the forest 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GPXers and Strava route followers’ is closed to new replies.