Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • GPS Workforce Tracking
  • keppoch

Morning all.

Does anyone have any experience of mobile workforce tracking using GPS?

Something like this:
    Equate GPS workforce tracking

I am part of a local group involved in a litter issue and want to help the Council think of better ways to respond to issues and maximise workforce efficiency (the public sector employees are understood to collect significantly less litter than the separate private sector shift..)

darrell
    Free Member

begone with you and your Big Brother cr4p

keppoch

You are right I should be happy living amongst the tumbleweed of litter.

I have no issue with my employer knowing where I am during my working hours. If I was doing six times less work than a colleague I would expect to be picked up on it (accepting the irony of using the forum in working hours..)

jonba
    Free Member

Ha, good luck.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yeah good luck, they will be out of signal, lost or broken within a day. What is probably required is some actual management.

Watty

Could they not be implanted in the serfs’ employees’ neck and have some sort of remote electric shock system built in? 😀

dovebiker

We’ve use SPOT trackers for workers in remote / hazardous locations but I think you’ll end up with considerable pressure from the workers and trade unions if you’re thinking of putting trackers on individuals

Wookster

I worked in the private sector ( utilities) and we had them for years in the vehicles plus a individual system where you would log onto a site or location with a mobile device as long as you were with in 100m or a set site point. . It’s a useful tool and gives you an idea of what’s what, and you can pick up blatantly piss taking easily. Allows you to pick the most efficient routes for Working rounds etc. But nothing gets a someone working harder than a manager showing up on site.

They did go through a phase of failing esp with the sparkies but that’s easy enough to sort out again by actually managing the staff.

It’s not a golden bullet by any means. Getting managers out of the office is more effective as long as they’re prepared to do their job.

keppoch

Thanks Wookster. Useful stuff.

As I said I am neither their manager nor employer rather a local resident. What I am trying to do is show this is not going unnoticed and be proactive in suggesting solutions rather than moaning. This could be one, management is no doubt a starting point.

At the end of the day I don’t care what method is used so long as the outcomes are those we deserve but in meeting senior council officers I would rather appear to have solutions than be a typical campaigning whinger.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Amazon already use them to monitor their order pickers aka “fulfilment associates”. They’re not shy about sharing the data if you Google for it. Outdoor environment will be a challenge.

Not agreeing with this sort of thing, just merely showing it’s possible.

milky1980
    Free Member

Cant see an issue with your suggestion but this is the public sector you’re dealing with so be prepared for it to be dismissed out-of-hand.

I’m GPS tracked at work the whole time (courier) and it’s definitely helped catch out the workshy! So easy to catch out the time wasters who park up and have an extra break rather than get the job done (paid by the hour so longer day = more money).

There’s no issues with being tracked, you’re at work so they should know what you’re doing anyway. No different to remote monitoring of a workstation for example. The ones who will kick up a fuss are the slackers! Doesn’t have o be live tracking all the time either, so long as the data can be downloaded at the end of the shift the management can look at it. We had a few lads who thought turning off the data on our PDA’s would cover them, two got done for being at a football match 😆

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘GPS Workforce Tracking’ is closed to new replies.