Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GPS Watch with HRM that works with iPhone – Does what I want exist yet?
  • andymac
    Free Member

I have just bought a turbo trainer and boy some of the comments from previous threads are true. Its not much fun is it!

To try and liven things up I am looking to get a heart rate monitor (hrm). For the turbo I would like to have a smart bluetooth hrm that displays directly on my iphone 5, so it links with interval trg apps and the like.

However, on my bike I am mainly into DH so an iPhone on the bars is a no no and a watch would be ideal. I also do a fair bit of xc trg so the GPS would be nice for Strava and the ability to put a cadence sensor on my road bike for the Turbo in particular would also make sense.

Is there anything that fits the bill? The new Forerunner 220 was almost there but it seems its only for running and will not accept a cadence sensor. I am not interested in TomToms. The Polar RC3 might work if I bought the H7 HRM band. But I would have to plug it into a computer to download anything, unlike the wireless iPhone connection of the Garmins. I hardly use a computer now so a wireless iPhone/iPad connection is a must.

Unless I have missed something I think I need to wait for a 20 series Garmin XT (i.e. 320, 920XT), but I stand to be corrected.

somafunk

Sounds like you need to check out the wahoo fitness range of bluetooth products that send & receive a bluetooth signal to the iphone, specifically the reflkt+ ant bluetooth powered bike computer , perhaps pair it with the heart rate strap and for the all signing all dancing ensemble you may as well get the speed and cadence sensor so it will record distance/speed etc on your turbo trainer as well.

I’ll be getting the above in a few weeks rather than buy the usual garmin 800/810 as i”l be able to keep my 5s in a waterproof pouch in my back pocket.

andymac
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. I did look at the wahoo stuff, but I want a watch when riding rather than using my iPhone as I don’t often use a backpack and certainly don’t want an iPhone on my bars.

CraigW
    Free Member

If its just for using on a bike, does it need to be a watch? What about the Edge 510, it should do all of that.

corsair
    Free Member

Might be worth a look at the Suunto Ambit. Not sure it will do everything you want but it does accept an HRM and a cadence sensor and they work fine.

By default it uploads the results to Suunto’s MovesCount web site when you plug it in after a ride, which is ok as a general way to store your rides. I don’t know how hard it would be to get the data out of there into Strava as I’m not a Stravista.

Also it’s not a BlueTooth connection to the HRM and cadence sensor, so you might need to buy two of each if you do also want BlueTooth ones to use with the iPhone on the trainer. OTOH, it’s possible to write apps for the Ambit 2 using the built-in development environment and many people have already done that and made them available, so you might be able to do everything you want on the watch rather than with iPhone apps. Depends exactly what you want to do and whether you need the size and full-colour of the iPhone display, which the watch obviously can’t match.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Won’t the new Forerunner 620 do everything you need (and a bit more)?

mikertroid
    Free Member

I now use an Ambit2 as my original Ambit went back to the shop with a few snags.

It’s great; not BT but you can export the Movescount tracks to whatever app you want as GPX, KML or XLXS files.

If I want to skip the watch I use a Polar H7 BT belt which talks to my iphone/iPod touch.

andymac
    Free Member

Unfortunately the dcrainmaker review of the 620 states: The Garmin FR620 does not contain a cycling function/mode, nor any way to connect to speed/cadence sensors while cycling. Which differs from the FR610 that both had a cycling mode as well as had the ability to connect to ANT+ speed/cadence sensors.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GPS Watch with HRM that works with iPhone – Does what I want exist yet?’ is closed to new replies.