Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • GPS Tracking App so others can check your progress?
  • smurfly13
    Free Member

Is there an app for a smart phone where others can log in and check where you are on the route?

Doing a charity ride and my wife and kids will join me at the end – but don’t want them waiting round if I am running behind – fancy an app where they can log in and see where I am to judge when leaving home?!

BoardinBob

Endomondo does it

nickjb
    Free Member

Viewranger has this feature, called Buddy Beacon. I think you can do it on Google maps as well

smurfly13
    Free Member

Already have Viewranger so will look into it – cheers guys

GrahamS

On iPhone? If so you already have “Find My iPhone” built-in.

This has the advantage that you don’t need any app running and it only checks your position when someone asks for it, so it doesn’t kill your battery.

(If you are on Android then I’m sure someone can recommend similar apps)

But if you already plan to track your ride with GPS then I second Viewranger or Endomondo.

geetee1972
    Free Member

This is precisely what the Garmin Connect website and phone ap does.

jkomo

Bookmarked

nemesis
    Free Member

Google maps will also do it IIRC.

STATO
    Free Member

Google maps will also do it IIRC.

Google used to have Google Latitude, but they dropped it. Not sure if a replacement has surfaced yet.

nickjb
    Free Member

Apparently its possible with google+ but I’ve not tried it

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I think strava have added it somewhere

legend
    Free Member

Strava only has it if you’re a premium member. Garmin 510/810s have it built in. Find my phone is a very simple way to do it

zangolin
    Free Member

+1 for Endomondo for free
    or
    Garmin 510/810 for money

nedrapier

Been trying Google+ recently (Latitude tech is part of the whole), but it’s not very accurate. Had my phone next to my wife’s in the car, each of ours had its own position accurately, but the other lagged behind. Her phone showed me about 5 minutes behind, but mine said she was still at home, despite us having left together 50 minutes ago.

I don’t know whether there’s something up with her phone (but on her phone, GPS/Google maps had her position accurately, so not that) or whether there are some settings that only allow other people to view recent-ish, rather than minute-by-minute positions.

Endomondo sounds good, but I don’t fancy having it on all the time (guessing it’s drainy on the battery?). Is there anything else that allows someone to ping you for info? Presumably that’s what “where’s my ‘droid?” does?

Edit:

Find my phone is a very simple way to do it

I’ll try this. Cheers!

GrahamS

Presumably that’s what “where’s my ‘droid?” does?

I’m sorely disappointed in the Android developers.

Clearly that app should be called: “The Droids You Are Looking For” 😀

pondo

Where’s My Droid does exactly that – Mrs Pondo texts “wmdgps” to my number and it comes back with location, direction and speed, think it provides a link to Googlemaps of the location too. Think you just need to have GPS turned on on your phone, and bob’s yer uncle.

nedrapier

cool. cheers, Pondo.

martinhutch

“Wmdgps”

Sounds like Bush/Blair wish fulfilment, that app.

Good though, I’ve been looking for something like that for a while.

smurfly13
    Free Member

Cheers all, plenty of options!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘GPS Tracking App so others can check your progress?’ is closed to new replies.