Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • GPS software Sorry!>
  • dylan
    Free Member

Sorry if this has been exhausted already, but what is the best software with the most detail, if all I want to do is go for a ride with my gps get home then download the route onto a map, preferably with enough detail to show all the twisty bits.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Anything that uses OS maps such as Memory maps, etc.

Although the user interface on memory Maps is a bit ‘clunky’

racing_ralph
    Free Member

explain "clunky"

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

as in not particularly intuitive. You get used to it, but could be better

racing_ralph
    Free Member

k

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm. No easy answer.

MemoryMap (or similar) is the best at mapping as it uses OS maps as its base. However, the maps aren’t directly compatible with Garmin GPS machines (or others AFAIK) .

You can upload routes to the Garmin from MemoryMap and follow GPS inspired directions/breadcrumb traisl as you ride though this should be backed up with a paper map. Once you’re back from your ride, you can download your track(s) from the GPS into MemoryMap to see your route and stats.

The upside of this approach is you can use a low(er) cost GPS unit with good battery life rather than the high end, flashy stuff. Mapping is limited to what’s in the GPS and/or the bit of paper in your hand.

Another option (with crapper mapping) is a Garmin GPS with their maps. The maps are OK on the road, not very good off. These GPS’s can be higher spec with poorer battery life.

Another option (with good mapping) is to use a PDA with a GPS pod (or internal receiver) and MemoryMap. Good mapping, fragile kit with poor battery life.

The last option is the new SatMap kit, a roughty tufty PDA type device that uses its own proprietry OS mapping. Personally not used it but mapping looks dear and battery life poorer than some of the alternatives.

I’ve tried the first three options and to a GPS virgin, would suggest a cheap Garmin Etrex (~£50) in some places along with MemoryMap. MemoryMap can be ‘found’ if you look hard enough though I’m not advocating using copy software.

If you really must have a full blown map on your tiny little screen, it looks as though a PDA or SatMap is the only way to go. Don’t bother, it’s not worth the additional cost (IME).

Bob

Del

i got for xmas a mio a710. it’s a smartphone, has a built in gps receiver, and runs windows mobile. 130 quid without mio’s gps software, but it’ll take a little finding now as it’s fairly old ( for a phone ). runs memorymap and tomtom fine. yet to establish battery life but this can be extended and greater capacity batteries can be had from ebay. my PAYG virgin mobile sim slotted straight in too.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont think you need a map on the GPS – the screen is still very small and (being a solo rider mainly) I would not be venturing out without a map backup anyway. Would anyone ? one big crash / battery failure tec and then no idea where youa re or how to get home? Given that what I need from the GPS is to not have to get a map out at junctions turns other tracks(or let me know when I have gone wrong) etc rather than a map it is usually pretty clear which way is up and which way is down!!!!!
    Agree things can be found via Torrent sites and leave that to each individuals conscience

xc-steve
    Free Member

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=424423&highlight=Cycling

If you have a windows mobile device with GPS use this, works amazing, saves files which Google Earth can open and traces the rout ontop of the satellite images, means you can see sneaky paths you might not have realised existed etc.

Gives averages speed, distance, total time cycling etc.

AND ITS FREE!

ebygomm
    Free Member

MemoryMap (or similar) is the best at mapping as it uses OS maps as its base. However, the maps aren’t directly compatible with Garmin GPS machines

Not true, you can import the file from a Garmin 205 (and i presume other garmins) directly into Memory Map using the Import track option.

If all you want to do is view your track over OS mapping you can do that with no software at all on the internet, just need to get it into gpx format.

http://www.mikkel.org.uk/myownlittleworld/mapupload.html
    http://www.osola.org.uk/rides/gpsuploader.htm

boblo
    Free Member

ebygomm – Member

MemoryMap (or similar) is the best at mapping as it uses OS maps as its base. However, the maps aren’t directly compatible with Garmin GPS machines

Not true, you can import the file from a Garmin 205 (and i presume other garmins) directly into Memory Map using the Import track option.

If all you want to do is view your track over OS mapping you can do that with no software at all on the internet, just need to get it into gpx format.

I think you’ll find the maps are incompatible though tracks and routes may be exchanged using the GPX format you cite. Note, exporting and importing GPX is merely transferring a route or track not the underlying map.

I have an Edge 705 with both Garmin Citi Navigator and Topo GB maping and it definitely will not accept imported MemoryMap (mmo) overlays and MemoryMap cannot deal with Garmin’s img map format.

Hence the ‘you can upload routes’ comment….

Bit of a pain but there you go…

Bob

BadlyWiredDog

If you really must have a full blown map on your tiny little screen, it looks as though a PDA or SatMap is the only way to go. Don’t bother, it’s not worth the additional cost (IME).

Garmin has just released OS mapping for some of their Corrado and Oregon units. Very small screen on the Oregon makes it of limited use imo, but there you go. I like the Satmap Active 10, the screen is just about big enough to work properly and the interface is easy to use. Anyway, that wasn’t the original question…

druidh
    Free Member

That Garmin OS mapping isn’t for the whole of the UK (yet) either.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Depends if you want an OS map. You can import a GPS route from any GPS device to Google Earth. I use that or Memory Map.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘GPS software Sorry!>’ is closed to new replies.