Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • GPS or use Iphone
  • Joe

Currently use a very old Garmin 60 series GPS unit, mainly when i’m abroad for a back up against paper maps.

Quite fancy doing a load of UK based off road riding this year, and would really like some kind of bar mounted solution with an OS map loaded which i can pre plot a route on and just follow it.

Been quite inspired by the lakes 200 route someone posted on here and will probably do it over two days with a bivvy.

Should I buy a new GPS unit or will an iphone 4 suffice?

I really want to be able to upload gpx tracks and then follow them.

supertacky
    Free Member

GPS as its much better on battery life than the iphone with all the GPS and map stuff running. Leave your phone for emergencies and photos.

mangatank
    Free Member

I think you’d be very surprised at just how much better Garmin’s satellite acquisition speed and accuracy has become. Even the latest iPhones can’t touch it.

supertacky
    Free Member

Mangatank makes a very good point. +1 Garmin accurancy.

GrahamS

iPhone is accurate to about 5 metres. Do you really need more accuracy than that??

I’d say go for separate unit if you are planning long days. GPS is hard on phone battery life. I find that recording tracks in Endomondo eats about 10% per hour with the screen off. More if you are checking it got directions etc.

scotroutes

+1

Keep the phone warm and protected for when you need it – not cold and exposed on the bars.

mangatank
    Free Member

iPhone is accurate to about 5 metres. Do you really need more accuracy than that??

I’d have said that at one time, but the new Garmins nail you down to an OS trail with pinpoint accuracy. That means you can navigate blind if you have to. Handy if the trail disappears into the heather, cloud or fog descends or night falls. That’s where high quality, accurate GPS comes to its own. I’d say the 810 is noticeably more accurate than the SatMap 10, but I used a SatMap to navigate across the top of Red Pike in Cumbria with near zero visibility conditions. Phone GPS just isn’t at that level yet.

matty456
    Free Member

I’ve got a garmin etrex, really good for finding new routes when out and about and iphone tucked away for phone calls and pictures as said above. Also garmin unit has extra data and options that make it better than an iphone and when batts run out (after 12 hrs) just pop in a new set. Happy days.

jruk
    Free Member

I used Viewranger on my android HTC for about 3 hours last week and it used loads of battery. I’ll use it again on short ‘learn new routes’ type trips but I wouldn’t rely on a phone. Which is annoying because viewranger works well (or it did for me on dartmoor).

Deveron53
    Free Member

I use a Galaxy Note with the ‘unofficial’ memory maps app and have 3 double capacity batteries all stored in a small, clear Pelicase which I mount on some cut-down aero bars. Waterproof, shockproof, I can see it whilst riding, enough power for a whole weekends riding on continuous GPS and I can run Endomondo and Strava at the same time. Works great!

P20

I’d use a separate gps. I use my i4s with a battery case and although it’s good (easily enough for day rides with battery to spare) if the battery dies, you have no phone. I also wouldn’t want to mount my phone on the bars. I find the phone gps accurate enough

Joe

OK…So which GPS is toppers?

jam-bo

I’d have said that at one time, but the new Garmins nail you down to an OS trail with pinpoint accuracy

do the new ones come with DGPS or RTK then?

it’s just because last time I looked, the inherent accuracy of a standalone GPS chip is about 10m and that is down to factors out of your control….

GrahamS

if the battery dies, you have no phone

Easy solved.

mangatank
    Free Member

it’s just because last time I looked, the inherent accuracy of a standalone GPS chip is about 10m and that is down to factors out of your control….

Real World experience shows the dedicated GPS units to be much more accurate than an iPhone 4S or 5, and the 810 to be the most accurate I’ve tried.

Joe

Any more advice for a unit?

geoffj

Garmin Etrex 20 or edge 800/810 with osm maps

slackalice
    Free Member

Stands to reason that a dedicated gadget is likely to be a tad more reliable doing what it’s built and designed to do, rather than a unit that can perform lots of different things.

Well, my reasoning anyway. Although I use Cyclemeter on my iphone5. But I’m not doing the Lakes 200 of which you speak. If I were, I would probably opt for a dedicated unit such as a Garmin.

The real question therefore is:

Which Garmin unit?

New thread please.

johnnystorm

Last couple of Bivi’s out and I’ve been navigating with the Edge 200 breadcrumb trails & looking at OS maps on the iPhone for when more detail was needed. On both trips, the iPhone has conked out through getting cold, even though its in my jacket. It would only wake up with a battery pack plugged in and then show it had 30+ % left. The Garmin however sits outside on the bars in all weathers/overnight and works perfectly.

scotroutes

I’m loving the Dakota 20. Takes AA batteries so power can easily be replenished on a multi-day. A decent set of rechargeables will easily last 9-10 hours. Screen is “just” big enough to cope with OS mapping. It’ll sync with HRM and cadence sensor if that’s your thing too.

johnnystorm

Very tempted by a Dakota 20 myself for bigger rides. £130 ish from Handtec.

Full UK OS maps here for £23!

http://gb.ioffer.com/i/2012-garmin-gb-discoverer-1-50k-full-coverage-127349741

bigrich

I’ve an 810 premium, and it’s an order of magnitude better than my phone. it also bluetooths to the phone and does live tracking for you social media needs.

phones are just a gateway drug to a full on gps I reckon.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘GPS or use Iphone’ is closed to new replies.