Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • GPS numpty/newbie – need help!
  • robdob
    Free Member

After many years of extolling the virtues of paper maps I think it might be time to investigate GPS thingies. I will always route plan using paper first for offroad stuff, but for road stuff, especially longer distance, things like bikehike or even Google maps is easier.

So I’m not fussed about off road use for a GPS, but I would like the following:

1) Screen to show me how far to the next junction and which way I’ll be going with a little map. Like a sat-nav I suppose but doesn’t have to be as detailed I think if thats going to be uber expensive.
    2) Waterproof – are they waterproof as standard?
    3) Able to attach to handlebars
    4) Can be charged with a USb type cable – I have a hub dynamo which should power/charge it if needed.
    5) Easy to load a route to – can this be done via a phone or is it a PC job everytime? Don’t use my PC much nowadays.

I have an iPhone – can you use one as a GPS? I know you can as a sat nav but thats not the same as loading a route onto a device. Is there any apps that do this?

Thanks for the help!

robdob
    Free Member

Anyone?

robdob
    Free Member

Hmmmmm.

BadlyWiredDog

I have an iPhone – can you use one as a GPS? I know you can as a sat nav but thats not the same as loading a route onto a device. Is there any apps that do this?

Yes. Try ViewRanger for example. GPS eats power on the iPhone ime, but I guess that may not be a problem with the dynamo. You’d also need a waterproof case of some sort and have to bear in mind that it may not remain waterproof when the charging cable is connected, I like Lifeproof, but they’re expensive.

You also need to ask yourself whether you’re happy having your very expensive smartphone perched vulnerably on your bars.

I’m sure there are any number of Garmin devices that’ll do what you want however. They are pretty much all waterproof I think. I’m amazed no Garministas have appeared to advise you yet.

simon_g

Garmin Edge Touring sounds ideal for what you want and ticks 1-4 nicely.

Routes normally done on a PC or Mac. I haven’t seen a good way to route plan on a phone, but then I’ve not really looked – always seems easier to pan and zoom around the map with a mouse. No straightforward way to get it from an iPhone to the unit – might be possible with the Edge 810 (which has bluetooth) though.

Using an iPhone for everything is possible, but you need to think about waterproofing (for if it rains) and they do chew through the battery if you’re leaving the screen on all the time.

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’ve a Garmin Edge Touring. There was a time I’d never have recommended one, but I’m not sure if theyve done an update of some kind cos at the moment mine is working flawlessly.

CraigW
    Free Member

Also look at the ‘outdoor’ Garmin models. eg Etrex, Dakota, or Oregon. They will do just about all that, you can get a handlebar mount.
    As standard they use AA batteries, which last 15-20 hours or so. They can be powered from USB, but it won’t actually charge the AA batteries. Or you can get a rechargeable battery pack for the Oregon 600.
    The Oregon 600 also has Bluetooth built in, so you can transfer stuff from a phone.

cinnamon_girl

Have a read of this recent thread:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/gps-9

FWIW am still sitting on the fence due to there not being one that everybody recommends. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘GPS numpty/newbie – need help!’ is closed to new replies.