Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • GPS newbie – maps for Garmin?
  • Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Just got a Legend HCx for my birthday, which has put me in a very good mood 😀

I have memory map and all the maps on my computer, so that is fine for creating routes and exporting routes/waypoints to the gps, but not the actual maps. Has anyone shelled out for the Mapsource topo maps on a microSD card? They looks a bit crap (compared to memoryMap/OS1:25000) and expensive. No luck on any of the dubious torrent sites unfortunately either.

I guess if I stick enough waypoints in then a map is less important, but it would be a nice addition.

Cheers

Gareth

PS. Obviosuly I will continue to carry my OS map in my bag so if the GPS breaks I won't be shafted…

phiiiiil

You can put OpenStreetMap maps on Garmin devices; I use them on my Edge, it's great. OSM has pretty much all the roads and lots of the trails around here on, and it generally comes with contours as well as a bonus. If you're keen you can add missing roads or trails to OSM so you (and everyone else) can have them on your GPS.

This chap produces Garmin map files every 2 weeks or so you can just copy straight on and start using.

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Sweet 🙂
    Thank you

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘GPS newbie – maps for Garmin?’ is closed to new replies.