Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • GPS maps ignorance
  • MrSalmon
    Free Member

I have a Garmin Vista HCx that supports maps. But I'm not sure about the relationship between the maps that you plan routes on your PC with (e.g. MemoryMap) and the ones you actually see on the device (which I think have to be Garmin's own ones). Are they totally unconnected? Are the maps on the device just there to look at, or are they actually an integral part of the ability to do, say, turn-by-turn directions?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I've just got the same unit. Firstly you want to download and install the OpenStreetMap maps from TalkyToaster which are much better than the Garmin basemaps.

In answer your question I'd say that a route that you plot in [say] MemoryMap and download to your GPS is merely a list of waypoints and are therefore completely unrelated to the map the're shown on. Think of a route as an overlay. You can show it on top of any map or none at all (such as when used on a GPS not capable of showing maps). The GPS will simply direct you to the first waypoint, then the second, and so on until it reaches the last one. The map is simply there for your reference.

When you're talking about road routing (i.e. turn by turn directions) there is a relationship between the route and map as the GPS uses data from the map (i.e. the roads) to determin your route.

The OpenStreetMap maps are routable so you can use your HCx for road routing once you've installed the maps on the memory card.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thanks Sharkbait, that's sort of what I thought… more questions though! Can you use the OpenStreetMaps to plot a route on your PC too? Do they work with MapSource (or whatever the software that came with the unit's called) or is there an OS version of that too?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can't help on that one but I'm fairly sure that you cannot do that. Check [/url] to check though.
    I've used it MemoryMap to create routes and think it's brilliant – I think there are some online methods as well but I've not looked into these.
    Not even bothered to open the mapsource cd as Garmin software is, by and large, cr*p.
    Get hold of MemoryMap from 'somewhere' if you haven't already got it and don't look back.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

I'm just being lazy now, but- does MemoryMap consist of the software (free?) + optional paid-for maps then?

Agree about the Garmin software though, I've had a look at MapSource and am not overly impressed. Would like to take the Vista out on my road loop this weekend though and see what it can actually do!

boblo
    Free Member

MrSalmon – Member
    I'm just being lazy now, but- does MemoryMap consist of the software (free?) + optional paid-for maps then?

Yes. Or try Anquet, some rave about that. I use MM and get on with it very well.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Would like to take the Vista out on my road loop this weekend though and see what it can actually do!

Load the openstreetmap stuff onto the HCx and tell it create a route to the half way point and let it do it's thing.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘GPS maps ignorance’ is closed to new replies.