Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • GPS – Imagine I'm a Techno Numpty…
  • barca1
    Free Member

Having just come back from a ride that involved a multitude of maps in non british languages which was an epic all of it's own, I quite fancy one of these witch craft filled GPS things.
    To put this in to perspective, I had a mobile phone once and I even managed to send some texts on it when somebody kindly turned that predictive thing off.
    So, my quest for help from yu kind people is:
    What GPS should I but that:
    Allows me to plug in to my computer which is currently showing a ride where somebody has put all the data in and will put that ride on to my GPS.
    Will show me when to turn right/left at the appropriate place on the trail.
    Will allow me to record and download to my computer any random ride that I may have embarked on accompanied by my GPS.
    Has a colour map screen.
    is not very complicated.
    Thanks very much

uplink
    Free Member

Budget?

There's another similar thread further down

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What GPS should I but that

headbutting or anal fixation not recommended…

barca1
    Free Member

I saw that R, but it's all too intelligent for me. Answers in no more than two syllables per word would be ace 🙂
    Bugdget? Anything really. No min or max.

Jenga
    Free Member

Opinions on GPS and mapping systems are like arseholes. Everyone has one, and they are all different!

I use a Garmin Legend HCX. Has a colour screen, and I have talkytoaster maps on a card. These are not as good as OS, but not far short; they are certainly good enough for my needs. I have Memory Map on my laptop and plot routes on that, then download to ther unit, and follow the direction arrow all day. Very seldom get the map out when on a ride, but carry it with me just in case. Works perfectly for my requirements.

Others will come along with their own particular setups, which all do the same thing but each in their own way.

Best thing you can do is

1) Wander into a decent outdoor shop that will have a range of units and see just how they work.

2) Go riding with someone who uses GPS and see how they function with it.

There is no "right" answer. What works best for you is the one you like best. Just like bikes really, everyone has their own preferences.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘GPS – Imagine I'm a Techno Numpty…’ is closed to new replies.