Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GPS help needed
  • nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Excuse my ignorance on this matter but I know nothing about this topic. I’m after a device that I can download maps to so I can explore new routes. Any ideas what garmin may be good for this?

jedf9
    Free Member

The Edge 800/810 can use proper mapping, as can the eTrex series, or the Edge Touring. Although the latter two don’t (as far as I’m aware) have Ant+, so you won’t be able to link heart rate etc. The Edge 200/500/510 all have route functions, but no actual mapping. It’s enough to follow routes on the road on my Edge 500, but can be difficult off road. You just get a line on a plain background to follow, so works best where the way is clear to see.

kilo

Just started using a garmin etrex 20 seems to be a good bit of kit. if you go that route get the handlebar mounts of ebay. I believe the etrex 30 is ant+

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, the Etrex 30 does have Ant+, so will work for heart rate/cadence.
    Also look at the Dakota 20, which is a similar thing with a touch screen. Or the Oregon models, which are a bit bigger.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Thanks all. I’m not to fussed about hrm / cadence etc. I basically just want a device that I can down load gpx files to. Is this possible on the devices mentioned?

houndlegs
    Free Member

These etrex,dakotas and oregons,can you upload a route to them the same as an edge touring,for turn by turn directions?

CraigW
    Free Member

Yes, you can load GPX files for routes/tracks/waypoints on any of them. It depends on what sort of file you load as to how the directions work.
    For proper ‘turn by turn’ directions, you probably want to have some routable maps installed. The free OSM maps usually work fine.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

Hello again. There’s a secondhand etrex 10 for sale near me for £20. Would that be ok for starters? I see that it doesn’t have a colour screen or expandable memory though.

devash
    Free Member

The eTrex 20 is probably the best value for money GPS if you want something very rugged and aren’t too fussed about touchscreen. I really like mine and its perfect for planning new routes, plus it takes regular or rechargeable AA batteries so if you take it hiking / camping or on a multi-day ride you don’t have to worry about charging it.

The higher up the Garmin range you go (Oregon, Dakota) the processor speed increases so maps render quicker but for the money (£125 quid on Amazon) you can’t go wrong with the eTrex. Just bear in mind that the sub-£100 model (eTrex 10) can’t use additional maps.

MadBillMcMad

OP,

I know you asked what garmin device, but to throw in another option.

If you have an android phone then there are a number of excellent apps maverick & BackCountry both are excellen.

Both have a free version & a paid for version (about £8 each).
    Both store Ordance survey maps on your phne to 1:25000 at no extra cost.

On a garmin that will cost you a fortune.

No idea about iphones.

GrahamS

Yep lots of good options on iPhones too.
    ViewRanger is pretty popular for waypoint based navigation.

nsbikescore1
    Free Member

I just read a review of the etrex 10 that said it was poor for off road routing. Devash, what are your thoughts?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Thread hijack, sorry!

Yes, you can load GPX files for routes/tracks/waypoints on any of them. It depends on what sort of file you load as to how the directions work.
    For proper ‘turn by turn’ directions, you probably want to have some routable maps installed. The free OSM maps usually work fine.

So I’ve got an eTrex Vista HcX which I’ve had for about 6 years. As far as I can figure out the best I can do with it for uploading routes to follow is create tracks which I can either just have as a line on the map, or use the track-back thing to give a beep when I’m coming up to a turn. Turn-by-turn (as in an a SatNav-style arrow and little view of the junction) doesn’t seem to be possible following a pre-set route. Also I find that tracks can only be 250 points and it’s not compatible with things like TcX(?) files so I sometimes can’t use routes downloaded from events etc. I’ve got the free (open street?) maps on there.

Is this how it works with the current eTrex 20? Do you still have to trim your routes down to load them on? I’m kind of put off the Edge Touring by the battery life so if I were to get another GPS I’d like to stick with AAs, and I don’t really care about touch screens.

Also, if you go off your route can it navigate you back on to it?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘GPS help needed’ is closed to new replies.