Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • GPRS/ Wifi question
  • Offroading
    Free Member

Hello,

Trying to find some info out. On the current crop of phones most have GPRS like a Blackberry for example – but newer phones are coming with Wifi like the Iphone 3GS.

What's the difference ? As i can understand it GPRS works anywhere but wifi means you need to be at a wifi hotspot ?

Ask because im looking to take a blackberry storm (yes i like it) which doesnt have wifi but does have GPRS. Im not an uber internet geek so all i want to do is be able to check gmail/hotmail on the go and possibly facebook. Will GPRS allow this ?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

wifi means when your at home your more likley to surf on your phone etc faster and all that. I was listening to the cricket this summer on my nokia over the wifi while sitting in the garden. Also useful for updating and all that. Also if its configured right you can use skype etc for international calls

ebygomm
    Free Member

Im not an uber internet geek so all i want to do is be able to check gmail/hotmail on the go and possibly facebook. Will GPRS allow this ?

Yes, the difference is it may cost you money depending on your contract

pacemaker
    Free Member

I use the wifi whilst abroad to use skype for free, if i was using the gprs i would be getting charged a roaming fee.

CountZero

Wifi on any smartphone is a must. You'll find you use it a lot at home for any web browsing. My iPhone has become my primary way of using the Internet, although I don't worry quite so much about wifi hotspots, unless they're The Cloud or BTOpenreach, which my phone picks up without any hassles. I've found other so-called free wifi is a real pain to use, with stupid time restrictions on use, like a local pub has.

john

WiFi is what wireless computer networks use, so if you have a wireless router at home (or wireless at work, free wifi in various public places etc) then the phone can use that for internet stuff. It's much faster, although battery life might suffer a bit.

GPRS is what standard mobiles use for data (general packet radio service), so works (almost) everywhere, but is much slower. It's been around for ages. Confusingly enough, GPRS works over a standard GSM connection, GSM being what a normal mobile uses. It's sometimes referred to as 2G, or maybe 2.5G. There are things like EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for GSM Evolution) which is a slightly faster form of GPRS, which is what the original iphone used.

There is also 3G, which gives nearly as good coverage as normal phone stuff (ie everywhere in civilization, some places outside it, and expanding, and all 3G phones can use normal connections too) but isn't as fast as WiFi. It'll be enough for most things though – all the 'mobile broadband' type deals use a 3G dongle for a PC.

Basically go for wifi if you want a really fast connection on a home network, 3G if you want vaguely fast internet access anywhere, 2G if you can't get either, but if you want data you really want 3G as a minimum.

(I suspect you know most of that but are just confusing GPRS and 3G, but I'm sat here waiting for a simulation to run. It appears that I am an uber internet geek. So now I'm going home to my cat.)

Offroading
    Free Member

I know the Blackberry has 3G so does that sort that ? As i said all i want to do is check my gmail account whilst out and about etc – it's not exactly a big webpage and facebook which is slightly bigger.

Im looking at £20 a month for unlimted internet usage, unlimited texts and 600 mins.

I can't see why i would use the phone at home for interent, i have two pc's a PS3 and a PSP which has wifi but if im honest only 1 pc gets used out of all those items….

Jamie
    Free Member

I can't see why i would use the phone at home for interent, i have two pc's a PS3 and a PSP which has wifi but if im honest only 1 pc gets used out of all those items….

We all think that at first. Then before you know it your using your iphone to read the BBC homepage on the loo.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I quite happily read gmail, go on facebook, singletrackworld etc. all on my ancient Nokia using Opera Mini over GPRS, the only thing that lets it down is the small screen.

Offroading
    Free Member

How long does it take to load gmail on GRRS ebygomm ?

beej

Storm 2 is out soon – that has wi-fi as well as 3G.

ebygomm
    Free Member

How long does it take to load gmail on GRRS ebygomm ?

Takes about 10 seconds to get my inbox up using either Opera mini or Google mobile

samuri
    Free Member

GPRS does not work everywhere. It's not like GPS which is from satellites, transmitters are still needed on the ground. You'll find lots of places where you can't get a signal.

molgrips
    Free Member

GPRS coverage will be the same as your normal mobile coverage. 3G coverage is a bit worse. Personally I'd never buy a phone that didn't have 3g in this day and age. GPRS is slooooow.

bruneep

Ask because im looking to take a blackberry storm (yes i like it) which doesnt have wifi but does have GPRS. Im not an uber internet geek so all i want to do is be able to check gmail/hotmail on the go and possibly facebook. Will GPRS allow this ?

storm 2 out on monday it has wifi built in

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/blackberry-storm2?WT_ref=INT-Shphm-Hr-Pym-Phns-14

Offroading
    Free Member

Went into Vodaphone today, decided to wait till Monday for the Storm 2 😀 Cracking thing it is, new screen is brilliant. It has everything though GPRS, Wifi, 3G so i should be sorted!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘GPRS/ Wifi question’ is closed to new replies.