Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • GP4000sII – longevity?
  • iainc

I was surprised to see that my road tyres, which are these in 25mm flavour are nearly down to the wear markers disappearing. Not sure of accurate mileage, but it can’t be much more than 1500 or thereabouts I think.

How long do folk generally get out of a set ?

Thanks

mrblobby
    Free Member

Mine usually die by flint cut long before they get to the wear marker disappearing 🙁 but then I’ve usually put well over 2000 miles into them by that point.

(Edit… usually around 71kg so not too hard on tyres.)

fifeandy
    Free Member

I’m well over 2k miles on the rear – beginning to square off and get a few small cuts, but expect to get to 3k before getting close to vanishing the wear markers.
    Front is barely starting to show signs of wear.

Dad was around 2.5k on his rear when he changed it – again, front showing limited signs of wear.

Both weighing <65kg which I think helps a lot with wear.

onandon
    Free Member

Christ. God knows what you guys are up to but I fitted some new 25s to one bike and 28s to another back in April.
    The 28s did 1200 miles last month alone and have only lost their sheen. No flat top or anywhere near the markers.

They have probably seen 2.6k miles so far.

The bike with 25s has been used less but still probably 1.300 miles and also look as new ( but without the shine )

Sandwich

My thoughts as well on and on. I’m not sylph like currently but 3k miles or more from a set of 25mm Conti GP4000 is not unusual for me. I have managed to kill a Pro One tubeless by flint earlier this year too.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Christ. God knows what you guys are up to but I fitted some new 25s to one bike and 28s to another back in April.
    The 28s did 1200 miles last month alone and have only lost their sheen. No flat top or anywhere near the markers.

They have probably seen 2.6k miles so far.

The bike with 25s has been used less but still probably 1.300 miles and also look as new ( but without the shine )You are cheating though. The Swiss have learnt how to do tarmac, whereas road surfacing around here involves laying down some tar then tipping small abrasive stones on top and hoping for the best!

twisty

I’ve just killed one after 100km 🙁 It is still intact but I can see a cut where my innertube is poking through.

amedias
    Free Member

Think it depends on conditions as well as rider weight etc.

I threw away my last rear 25mm GP4000s @1500 (rear) miles as it was squared off badly and cut to pieces, front one is on >2000 and looks about 1/3 to 1/2 worn.

But I can’t seem to get more than about 1500 miles out of any* rear tyre on that kind of bike (winter miles and audaxes, lots of poor surfaced lanes) sometimes carrying a couple of kilos in a bar bag but nothing much, and I’m ~72-75kg depending on how many layers I’m wearing.

* Michelin Lithion 2, Compass, Panaracer Pasela, Conti GP4000, Bontrager $something, Schwalbe Ultremo all dead between 1000 and 2000 miles on the rear. Currently running a Clement Strada LGG, will see how long it lasts…

onandon
    Free Member

For the record. I’m 74kg the 28s are at 70/65 psi with latex tubes
    The 25s are at 85/75 also with latex tubes.

The Swiss may have got the roads together but the French are as bad as the brits. The rural roads are like riding though a trading estate.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It’s cos you’re a fat wee bastard Clow

fasthaggis

Everything’s harder* in the West,fact.

*including the road surface
    😉

jonba
    Free Member

They normally get cut up before they wear out. I think I put min on at the start of June so a quick glance at strava suggests 3-4000km.

They aren’t a long life tyre, there are others in the range with more rubber for a longer life. GP4000 you trade off for weight.

Daffy

Similar to amedias – I get about 3000 miles out of 3 28mm tyres (1 front 2 rear). I’m also around 75kg with gear. I get around 2500 out of Pro Ones and I’ve yet to see with my Hutchinson Sector 32s.

amedias
    Free Member

The rural roads are like riding though a trading estate.

Trading estates! oooh hark at thee with your nice urban road surfaces, I wish the Devon lanes were as smooth as trading estate tarmac 😉

iainc

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    It’s cos you’re a fat wee bastard Clow

I knew you’d be along soon enough Greg 🙂

78kg here, so it ain’t that !

The rear one is quite squared off, probably still has around 1mm until the marker goes. Most of my local riding is quiet back roads, with the rough cheap tarmac, so I guess that has a lot to do with it.

Question – does squaring of in it’s own right cause a problem – i.e. should I change the back one soonish ?

Klunk
    Free Member

got about 10 miles out of the one the wifes bike before the side wall exploded (they make great tubeless patches btw).

amedias
    Free Member

does squaring of in it’s own right cause a problem

not really, I’ll bet you couldn’t feel the difference in a double blind test anyway, but it does means the tread in the centre is a lot thinner and mine seem to pick up more debris once they get really square.

I (accidentally) ran a Conti Gatorskin hardshell right down to the canvas once, it was under mudguards on a commuter so I didn’t notice. Grip was crap from new, stayed crap until I got to the canvas then become like ice skating, but it did take an astonishing 12,000 miles to get to the canvas 😯

fifeandy
    Free Member

but the French are as bad as the brits

lol, really not. I actually giggled, got off the bike and took a photo of the road surface within 2mins of first riding a bike in France because it was so smooth. By comparison, riding the flat here feels like riding up a 1-2% grade there.

Question – does squaring of in it’s own right cause a problem – i.e. should I change the back one soonish ?

I don’t really think so. I used to change my Pro4 Endurance once they got super square as they start to get a bit draggy. Not really noticed that with the GP4000s so far.
    In theory they also wont transition as nicely when you lean the bike over, but in practice I can’t say i’ve noticed it.

iainc

useful info, thanks. Have ordered a new pair and will change the back one in a few hundred miles. The front looks only about half worn, maybe less so far, so all going well it will be good for some time yet.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

They’re a racing tyre aren’t they really? As mentioned, they do other more hard wearing tyres….the GP4S I’ve got have done loads more miles and look barely used, the GP4000s II I have probably done about 1000miles and the back is squared off a little but generally ok. I’ve had less than a 1000 miles out of a pair of Schwalbe Pro Ones so the Contis are wearing comparably well.

iainc

yeah, I like them though ! I don’t do crazy high mileages, so if it’s 2000 miles for a rear and maybe 3000 for a front that’s ok for me. Interesting to see the variety, which I guess must be largely down to quality of surfaces.

fifeandy
    Free Member

They’re a racing tyre aren’t they really?

Sort of. Conti actually do 3 faster tyres (Attack/Force, GP TT and GP Supersonic) that are out and out race tyres.
    The GP4000 sits somewhere between a fast training tyre and a race tyre.

nathb
    Free Member

About 500 miles before the rear is cut to shreds x2, not sure there will be a third!!

25mm 68kg @ 90psi

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

about 12 months for me. I am multi-biked but i do a lot of mileage so that’s plenty long enough for me.

The small round indentations on the tyre are the wear indicators and are a pretty good measure of use

EDIT: Ok, library pic and they look oval rather than round but you get what I mean

redmex
    Free Member

Like a grand prix f1 car I flat spotted my rear after a car pulled out a junction as im at 30mph just manged to miss it but the tyre looks funny

nwallace
    Free Member

I’ve not got one down to the wear markers yet.
    With the detrius strewn, ruted and pot hole laden roads round here I’m lucky if I get 500Km before I slice the sidewall.

Although last night I managed to put a hole through my rear at 50Kmh, heard the tyre hit the stone (or what ever it was), heard the tube failing (think it’s gone through the hole), heard the air escaping…

Really like them, grippy, fast, comfy at 25mm, I need to move somewhere with good roads.

Have also been using GP4Seasons, wee bit less grip (but still I still crapped out of corners before any hint of traction loss), wee bit heavier (almost noticeable) and a fair bit longer lasting (very much noticeable). I did manage to run out of tread on the rear in about 3000Km… which since I’m in the high 80kgs is really good. Plenty of bruises on the hardshell casing but the sidewall was fine below that.

but I’ve got tubeless rims now, so thinking of moving on once my small stock is done (buying in Pairs made sense at the time, but this means I’ve got one brand new one waiting to be fitted)

philjunior
    Free Member

You need to pull less skids Iain.

They don’t last that well though tbh – about 2500 miles had the rear done in for mine on the commuter (probably more hard stops than on a normal road bike though!). The one on the road bike looks alright at about 1000 miles.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘GP4000sII – longevity?’ is closed to new replies.