Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)
  • Government e-petition to make 'Engineer' a protected title
  • redthunder
    Free Member

What watch for engineers ?

😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Buzz, I wasn’t referring to software engineers ( I have no idea what their job involves). I was talking about the IES (for example) jockeys and “spreadsheet” engineers.
    I could point out a few things here but really don’t want the thread to turn into a petty squabble so I’ll shut up now.
    The point is designer does not equals engineer, they’re just a type of engineer.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

You PROPER engineers need to spend more time designing stuff that works so that we pretendy engineers don’t have to spend all day every day putting the buggers right!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    owenfackrell
    Free Member

Saying that an engineeer has to be able to turn there hand to anything rather than a small area of experties is rubbish and even more so to compare it to Dr’s. Try working in a hospital and you will soon realise that Dr’s train to specalise in a single area and are very uncofortable to go out side of that.
    For what its worth i cosider my self an engineer. I don’t have a degree but thats more to do with my learing diffuculties restriciting me from being able to do what the acidemic world wants. i work in a engineering deapartment, have to fault find and report back on problems as well as man mange. Its amazing how many projects go on here with cEng’s looking after them that can’t see problems in looking after the tat that they have put in nor it seems do they care as they are on to the next thing by then.

legend
    Free Member

Dr’s train to specalise in a single area and are very uncofortable to go out side of that.

just like Electrical, Mechanical, Software, etc Engineers then?

owenfackrell
    Free Member

legend – Member

Dr’s train to specalise in a single area and are very uncofortable to go out side of that.

just like Electrical, Mechanical, Software, etc Engineers then?

Posted 23 minutes ago # Report-Post
    nOpe more specalist than that as those are vast feilds and are more like say Dr’s or Vets.

RichPenny
    Free Member

There’s no substitute for taking your flash new design over to the guys who are actually going to make/install/maintain it and saying “what do you think”?

Rather depends on whether those opinions are subsequently acted upon 😉

flap_jack
    Free Member

I started keeping quiet about being an engineer once I found out what ‘Financial Engineers’ were doing…

RustyNissanPrairie

who cares, just get on with the job and fix something

geologist
    Free Member

What a load of boll**ks.

I am an ‘engineer’ I have no engineering degree but engineering training from the RAF, I then went onto become a lead systems engineer at Marconi, and now am a Senior systems engineer in the biggest defence company in the world.

I work with degree qualified chartered Engineers, who are bloody useless. Stright out of uni, to sit at a desk. They order the parts that I tell them to order, I design a system for them, and then they sign it off! They cannot do any ‘engineering’ them selves because they are 24, and from the playstation generation who tbh cant think for themselves. They do not understand even the basics!

Yet, I cant sign a system off because I dont have the right degree!

Spin
    Free Member

Engineers?

I’ve sh!t ’em.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Pook

Engineers are the single most bizarre group of people that I’ve ever had to work with.

They amaze with both their brilliance and weirdness in equal measure almost every day.

stumpy01

^^^ you’ve never worked with chemists, then? 😉

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Engineers are the single most bizarre group of people that I’ve ever had to work with.

They amaze with both their brilliance and weirdness in equal measure almost every day

bingo.

samuri
    Free Member

and now am a Senior systems engineer in the biggest defence company in the world.

Do you know Dave Coughlin?

Stoner
    Free Member

Stoner aint a tagger.
    Id love to see the authors of the tags names though 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

I can account for two, neither of them to your detriment stoner.

Gobshiting on a forum doesn’t make you hard though

Is actually funny. Gobshiting in the most anonymous way makes you the precise opposite of “hard”. Was it meant as ironic? I can only hope.

cRaNkEnStEin
    Free Member

Fixing a Bugatti Veyron = Skilled tradesman (Mechanic)

Designing a Bugatti Veyron = Genius (Engineer)

RichPenny
    Free Member

Knowing that a Bugatti Veyron uses more than mech engineering = priceless

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I agree that engineers are great and should be protected – if nothing else than for their versatility and helpfulness. I have just been told that one is coming round on Monday to mend my tap. 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I wasn’t referring to software engineers ( I have no idea what their job involves)

neither have they!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Is actually funny. Gobshiting in the most anonymous way makes you the precise opposite of “hard”. Was it meant as ironic? I can only hope.

That was me. Sorry, it wasn’t put with the tags to be anonymous, it was there to be alongside the taggers=cowards. On the Internet, I am neither a hard man, or a coward. Why? Because its the Internet, nobody can actually hurt you!

Frodo

I really don’t get why this petition is even being made?

The title ‘Chartered Engineer’ IS protected in law. Engineering is a profession with many aspects and levels, fact.

Ok so maybe the person who mends my washing machine is a mechanic or technician rather than and engineer …the fact is that he/she is still undertaking a form of Engineering.

After all the Dr. title isn’t only reserved for medical professionals it is for any one who has a PHD.

Its totally right that a the ‘Chartered Engineer’ title is legally protected and those who fail to recognise the value of professional registration don’t understand the engineering profession.

Regds, Frodo CEng MICE

compositepro
    Free Member

Knowing that a Bugatti Veyron uses more than mech engineering = priceless

Knowing some engineer turned even parts of that abomination into reality = a sad day for engineering

Knowing that when you heating is broke and your freezing your tits off= you not arguing the GCH guy knows more than you do.

richmars

Knowing some engineer turned even parts of that abomination into reality = a sad day for engineering

If you mean the looks, that would be the designer, which is a whole new can or worms, or thread.

compositepro
    Free Member

Pencil fairies = far more scary than engineers ,

schnullelieber
    Free Member

I foresee a recruitment problem for the Army – The corps of the Royal Skilled Tradesmen doesn’t have the same cachet, does it? 🙁

Frodo

Chartered Engineers develop appropriate solutions to engineering problems. They may develop and apply new technologies, promote advanced designs and design methods and introduce new and more efficient production techniques, or pioneer new engineering services and management methods. The title CEng is protected by civil law and is one of the most recognisable international engineering qualifications.

So were sorted right?

[From the engineering council website]

ads-b
    Free Member

Am in general agreement that trying to protect the term engineer is pointless. It originates from the word ‘engine’ for starters, which has nothing to do with 90% of what ‘engineers’ do these days. The term has evolved, and like it or not (which i dont) its now a term which can apply to poeple buidling heavy machinery to writing spradsheets. I long gave up arguing the point.

Im a ‘Chartered Engineer’ now; which even to lay people immediately differentiates me from the guy who fixes stuff. May sound a bit poncey, but generally stops the normal resposnse- so what is that then, do you fix TV’s?

Still annoys me when our photocopier goes down and the secretary says ‘an engineer has been called out’ knowing she works in a company with 200 ‘qualified’ engineers. The amount of emails she must get, you would have thought she would get it right by now.

Viewing 30 posts - 81 through 110 (of 110 total)

The topic ‘Government e-petition to make 'Engineer' a protected title’ is closed to new replies.