Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Got to work all weekend – fair?
  • mudshark
    Free Member

Well I’ll be at home all BH weekend – IT project go-live. I’m on-call from 8am Saturday to about 9pm when I’ll switch to working until 8am. Same again Sunday and then on-call Monday until 8pm. I’ll be paid 1.5 normal rate for 8 hours for each of the 2 night shifts and hopefully 1.5 x 4 hrs for the on-call time – project manager is trying to get out of that though. Manager says it’s a on-off so I shouldn’t complain. I think this is a complete waste of a long weekend! In theory I can go for rides as long as I can get back within an hour. Don’t really have any choice really but don’t suppose some companies would allow it would they?

meehaja
    Free Member

I get 2 out of every 5 weekends off. 3 of those weekends I’m on nights.

SUP!

crikey
    Free Member

I do 3 out of every 4 weekends. 12 hour shifts. Then 5 weeks out of every 14 on nights.

…and Cameron likes to **** with my pension and my wages to save us from the efforts of his banker buddies.

Suck it up.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Boo hoo. I’m on call 1 week in 3. Do I complain? A bit but the fact I get paid to sleep, eat, do jobs around the house and go riding (same – I need to be online within 30 minsish of being called but worst case the service desk just call for an update – “I’m looking at it” I tell them as I’m pedalling home).

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Lucky you. Join the prison service if you want some crap shifts. Up to now I’ll be working Xmas day, Boxing day, new years eve & new years day.
    Stop ******* moaning.

…and Cameron likes to **** with my pension and my wages to save us from the efforts of his banker buddies.

Same here.

Posted 2 minutes ago # Report-Post

aP
    Free Member

Depends how much you want to deliver your project. And you’re getting paid time and a half. Life is like that.
    I work an extra 10-15 hours a week and have an additional 2 and a half hour commute as I’m in a colacated office on the other side of town. I don’t get overtime, and I’ll be working for parts of this weekend as well.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You are either at work and paid or you are not and its your time to do with as you wish.

I can’t quite figure what they are asking you to do but it looks like breaking WTD in a number of ways.

11 hr rest period between shifts etc etc

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Hard to feel sorry for you OP

cynic-al
    Free Member

What salary are you on op?

Isn’t this what you signed up for?

mudshark
    Free Member

Not looking for sympathy…just wondering if working constantly from 8am Sat to 8pm Mon, albeit with 1/2 on-call is deemed OK. Won’t be happy if I don’t get the on-call pay though.

Always been paid for every hour worked at weekend in the past – week days extra hours are part of the ‘professional day’.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I spent 12yrs as a Bill Oddie…

No such thing as a weekend, only day 6&7 of a 7 day week…

I’ve spent my fair share of Christmas’s/ Bank Holidays/ Birthdays in far flung shit tips..

So, nah, get over it fella..

🙂

geologist
    Free Member

Due to ‘the events’ of life, Ive ended up in a job that I hate, that takes me away from my wife and toddler every week without fail, often to very dangerous places, at all times of the year!!! However I get paid well for it.
    In fact im sat in Finale Liguria now, and being paid for it, so not all bad 🙂

OP you have no idea!

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Oh dear
    How sad
    What a shame
    Never mind

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mudshark – Member

Not looking for sympathy…just wondering if working constantly from 8am Sat to 8pm Mon, albeit with 1/2 on-call is deemed OK. Won’t be happy if I don’t get the on-call pay though.

No – completely unacceptable.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1998/1833/contents/made

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Worked 5 Xmas and New year’s days on the trot, including Millennium

MTFU!

mudshark
    Free Member

I did say not looking for sympathy but thanks…I’m sure I’ll get some sleep sometime 🙂

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

TJ – only if the ‘on call’ hours are spent at work!

On-call hours count as working time when workers are required to be at their place of work and either working or available for work, and this includes time spent sleeping-in. When workers are on-call but based at home or elsewhere, on-call time only counts as working time from the time they are called out.

Source, Unite 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its not the working the weekend thats unnacceptable – its the continuous shift of 60 hrs thats unacceptable in any form.

Are you being offered compensatory rest ? You should be.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

its the continuous shift of 60 hrs thats unacceptable in any form.

Its not a continuous shift, he’s ‘on call’ at home, therefore not working hours unless he’s actually working.

theotherjonv

I’m contracted to a 37.5 hour week but “may be required to work extra hours as needed”. What does that mean? Often I have to work or travel evenings or weekends. It’s part of the job. However just recently I had to travel on easter Sunday and Monday, and then coming up on the Sunday prior to and then the 2 days of the jubilee double BH I’ll be in the US and giving up 3 days, all of which coincide with kids school holidays / half term. Am I at least entitled to have the statutory holidays back either as part of my entitlement or paid in lieu?

jonba
    Free Member

Just because others do it doesn’t mean that we all should.

What do they mean by on call? That you should be available on the phone and able to answer questions or that you should be available on a lap top to spend 8 hours re-coding?

My wife does on call for IT projects and it is the former so we’re normally free to be where ever as long as she can be contacted. If it is likely she’ll be needed to actually do something then she will be at work.

Even in jobs with regular hours there are times when this type of thing is called for. I know I have a clause that says I’m supposed to be flexible as occasionally I need to work odd hours. However, my employer is very reasonable in return.

mudshark
    Free Member

I’m sure I’ll be nodding off quite frequently 😉 Some guys are doing 18 hrs on/6 off over the weekend based in the office poor sods for 8 hrs pay; one’s a contractor and causing a fuss for some reason….

On-call – I have to be able to be on a PC within an hour.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On call is working. Unless its your time to do with as you wish you are working.

Would this “on call” include having to drive somewhere?

Are you being offered compensatory rest? How many hours in the week does that take you to?

crikey
    Free Member

When I worked in an operating theatre we did one night a week on-call.

I got £5 per night, plus time and a half for the time from leaving home to getting back.

If I was home before 2 am I was expected to work the next day.

…and this was for fairly important stuff like life saving surgery…

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

At the prison where I work we regularly have a 21.00 hrs finish followed by an 07.30 start, & not many staff live close by. Can’t really complain as It’s what wev’e agreed to with the governor, mainly to avoid split shifts. Still, as long as the prisoners are happy. 🙄

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

On call is working. Unless its your time to do with as you wish you are working.

TJ law or European working directive law?

would you like the case law references TJ, or will you accept that you’re wrong?

matt_outandabout

I just pulled 7-10pm for three days on the trot, including a nights camping out with group as well. No extra pay, no time in lieu. Suck it up.

mudshark
    Free Member

I do 9 to 6 usually. No additional rest, no driving over the weekend. I agreed to do it based on the 4 hours on-call pay and 8 hours for working time, luckily have a witness to that agreement, unfortunately nothing in writing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

, unfortunately nothing in writing.

😯

mrchrispy

on call is bobbins sometimes but is part of the job.
    My place is pretty flexible (well my manager at least), the senior managers are a bunch of crooks. if I end up looking at stuff in the middle of the night they are lucky to see my arse online before 2pm, and then I just work from home…pointless going in for a 1/2 day.

Drac

I’m working it all but Monday night is overtime. Kerrrrching!

mudshark
    Free Member

unfortunately nothing in writing.

He said as I’ll be doing 2 shifts per days of course I’ll be paid for both…. Seems to have slipped his mind now!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Don’t really have any choice really but don’t suppose some companies would allow it would they?

I would assume that this ws covered in the contract that you read through before signing.
    If some of the time is on call, that simply means you can’t get pi55ed, you can’t disappear to Majorca and you should stay a reasonable distance from the office, then pick up the pay.

mudshark
    Free Member

Always been paid for when I’ve been asked to work before, so spoilt….

mrdestructo

Sorry, hard to feel sorry for you Op. I’m a p/t contract services worker, p/t uni student. I work 6 days a week for minimum wage on an hourly basis and see £5 a week more than a doley. My workplace is open bank holidays because when ‘normal’ people get them off and like to take their families out to places like where I work I of course have to work. I’ve been in this job since the start of the year and I’ve not had a holiday due to the fact my supervisor has failed to discuss any with me. I just asked for one day off for a religious holiday and told my supervisor my work location was going to let me go off and not need cover, but was told I hadn’t given enough notice so I can’t have it.

ps. my wage slips suck. I only get paid ‘time’ for bank holidays. If I fudge ringing the computer clocking in system they don’t pay me, but if I work overtime during that same week period, ooh, guess what? They don’t pay me.

davidjones15
    Free Member

Always been paid for when I’ve been asked to work before, so spoilt….

You get paid for sitting on your ar5e. That’s a problem, why?

mudshark
    Free Member

Eek the real world scares me, some of you should join one of those union things….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Eek the real world scares me, some of you should join one of those union things….
    I have, It’s called ‘The Prison Officers Association’ or the ‘POA’ for short. Doesn’t do me much good though.(I’m mainly in it in case of litigation) 😉

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Im on my 6th weekend in a row on nights. Im beginning to get really miffed. Requested the next 4 off so shall see what happens. The joys of a Nursing home.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Got to work all weekend – fair?’ is closed to new replies.