Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Got to shift a load of earth, mini digger or by hand?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’m going to be putting some raised beds in, however in order to do it I need to shift a load of earth. So far I have already filled half a mini skip full of earth by hand and not really got that much out. I don’t have much time to do it either ie work and young child!

So do I just keep plodding on by hand or would I get it done much quicker using a mini digger. The only problem with a mini digger is that

1. I have never used one
    2. I could only use a mini digger to dig out and transfer in to a wheel barrow, and then in to a skip..

The piles of earth are about 3ft high, the raised beds will be 1.5ft high.

What are your thoughts?

Oh and mini digger will be £110. Unofrtunately round here there do not appear to be any that do hire with a driver, which would make it a lot quicker and easer!

z1ppy

Use the £110 to pay a couple of lads, for a day cash in hand, to do it instead.

I doubt the mini digger is going to make a huge difference, unless you have a team to help you
    ie: 1 driver, and (at least) two to barrow it out.

neilforrow

you need a couple mates and pay them in beer and BBQ. hire the digger and get your mates round.

You should be able to hire a digger for a lot less than £110. i got one for $40 for the weekend.

MrTall
    Free Member

I filled a big skip full of earth by hand last Autumn, took a while but it was a damn sight cheaper than hiring a digger. Just do a bit everytime you get a spare hour or so and it’ll soon disappear. It’ll make your back ache though!

Failing that, £20 cash to a few local teenagers for a mornings graft and they’ll soon have it done.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could you not take it gradually away in your trouser pockets, leaving discreet deposits out the bottom of each leg as you causally wander down the street? I saw this once in a documentary and it looked like a lot of fun.

geoffj

Probably a stupid question, but why not just build one huge raised bed with the stuff that is there?

midlifecrashes

Why not just make the beds taller/bigger and use more soil?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

A guy at my work (body builder) loves volunteering for this sort of work – great cardio / strength workout apparently.

Go hang out at your local gym and ask the roiders going in 🙂

binners

You mean you don’t have staff for this kind of thing? How frightful

Actually – You just need to send following message to your mates:

“Hi lads. I’ve hired one of those mini-digger things, and the fridge is full of beer. Fancy coming round for a play?”

You’ll be inundated with volunteers. I remember hiring an enormous pneumatic drill to demolish some reinforced concrete walls. All my mates were suddenly interested. Even my mum insisted on having a go! 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Got to shift a load of earth, mini digger or by hand?’ is closed to new replies.