Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)
  • Got my winter tyres fitted…
  • …on some steel rims. Bring on the white stuff

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Am4n6U]2015-11-21_10-46-19[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BiAMst]2015-11-21_10-46-52[/url] by davetheblade, on Flickr

jam-bo

All you need now is a snow plow and a jacket…

scotroutes

Plow?

spooky_b329

Tick!

deadkenny
    Free Member

Not worth the expense for me for the couple of days of snow I get to see around my way per year, if any at all.

scotroutes

Winter tyres <> Snow tyres

SaxonRider

@deadkenny: see all 500* arguments** in favour of winter tyres regardless of snow.

*may be slightly exaggerated.
    **many made by me.

Kryton57

Long term forcasts to Feb down south are of 8 degrees average over the period. What’s the point.

scotroutes

🙄

SaxonRider

Forecasts are always wrong, and it’s winter.

andyl
    Free Member

You might be able to keep up with a proper 4×4 now 😉

PS just off to fit my winter tyres when my coffee and porridge has kicked in.

Not enjoying driving on my summer tyres in these temps with all the mud and standing water on the roads as is common in winter and WINTER tyres excel in these conditions…

PPS you need some big guns mounted to the side to go with the new wheel look 😀

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

you not so good at maths then? Or physics.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just done the last of ours this afternoon. Think the in laws will want theirs doing tomorrow………

Not long before its time for studded tyres on the bike too.

Kryton57

You may have missed my posts in the other thread. I appreciate the Mornings / evenings will be colder, tyre physics etc but I live in London, and have a haldex 4wd alternative with all seasons next to mine in the garage. I do however do 2-3 journeys at 5am to Oxford Kent a month and they’d be well worth it for that. Is the £521 I’d pay worth it for 2-3 careful journeys…

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

So when you say what’s the point, you really mean “I’ve got them on the other car”

Kryton57

No, I mean what the point for the car I’ll use for those 2-3 journeys and some potential short runs in town.

The other car is “accidental”. It’s a Ford Kuga, and has Conti 4×4 contacts rear and Pirelli scorpions front – not proper winter tyres by any means the for,we are OEM the latter fitted without research. It’s the family car used for school runs so 9 times out of 10 it’s not available to me.

andyl
    Free Member

Conti 4×4 contacts rear and Pirelli scorpions front

no idea if the Kuga is a real or more a faux-by-4 but be very careful with different makes of tyre front and rear as the mismatch can kill 4×4 systems, especially when just used on the road as there is no slip like you get off-road and especially on motorways as the speeds and thus axle RPM difference is higher.

Kryton57

It’s haldex – normally fwd, but 4wd kicks in when it’s needed. TBH we’ve driven it in snow as if it’s a normal fwd, I’m under no illusions about its 4wd capability.

scotroutes

Kryton57 – Member
    Long term forcasts to Feb down south are of 8 degrees average over the period. What’s the point.

For me, they are more for the muddy sites I work on. They are an all terrain tyre – just so happens that they’ve been given a snowflake rating

spooky_b329

When you talk of £500 expenditure…it doesn’t really compute unless you are investing in new wheels.

In my case, the car needed tyres, approx £80 a corner whether I got Summer tyres or All Seasons. The All Seasons will stay on permanently, although I wil refit the two good summers in the Spring simply as they still have plenty of life in them.

I suspect we may get a few thousand less miles out of them but seeing as All Seasons and even Winters only have a small performance drop in dry summer conditions compared to Summer tyres having a significant performance drop in cold winter conditions, they are a good choice. And Snow…well, summer tyres are practically useless whether they are fitted to a 2wd, a 4×4 or an all wheel drive/Haldex type system.

AndyL, pretty sure the modern Haldex/Faux 4×4’s are fine with slightly different tyre circumferences, as the diffs are all open, with the braking system used to slow down the wheels that are spinning and divert power to the wheels with grip. It may confuse the wheel speed sensors but you’d think the car would be clever enough to calibrate each wheel speed during normal driving.

Kryton57

When you talk of £500 expenditure…it doesn’t really compute unless you are investing in new wheels.

Is for 4 X steels shod with Conti TS830P RFT. Dunlop m3’s are £30 cheaper.

BadlyWiredDog

Can I just ask if it’s worth fitting just two winter tyres and if so, which wheels to fit them on – I was thinking diagonally opposite just to even things up across all four corners of the car. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Re: the cost per corner. If winter tyres save you from slapping a kerb and bending something or avoiding you abandoning your car overnight then I’m a fan. Last year the M62 was gridlocked so alot of cars came off at Saddleworth and attempted to drive over the tops. I passed two cars in a ditch, one being pulled out and a woman/two boys in the middle of the road in a Fiat500. She was shaking like a leaf and had panicked when her summer tyres almost sent them over the edge of a big drop (used by paragliders etc). Now, that £80 a corner? Worth every penny IMO. I also drove one set of winters well into summer (as they were <4mm so not worth saving for another winter)

maxtorque

Unfortunately, fitting snow tyres to my car doesn’t move the 10,000 totally clueless other people who couldn’t drive a greasy stick up a pigs a**e out of the way too……….

hora
    Free Member

Sadly I concede you are 1000% right on that. It’s bad enough when it suddenly raibs on the M60 and the accidents start because people think TC, ABS, stability control etc will save them. Cometh ice and snow they still drive at a warm summers day pace everywhere.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Artist, are they bigger than the original tyres, they look fairly chunky..?

Artist, are they bigger than the original tyres, they look fairly chunky..?

Yes, they are – according to a tyre comparison calculator, 5.4% bigger. According to GPS, the Speedo is now accurate.

andyl
    Free Member

Unfortunately, fitting snow tyres to my car doesn’t move the 10,000 totally clueless other people who couldn’t drive a greasy stick up a pigs a**e out of the way too……….

Mine have paid for themselves several times over in avoiding accidents.

The best was some old codger driving the wrong way down a dual carriageway as he had got disorientated in the snow. I clearly won the traffic light GP as everyone else was wheelspinning and then the guy appeared and I was able to swerve around him and left the carnage to unravel behind me. Not good!

windyg
    Free Member

Won’t be fitting winter tyres but I do need to refit my front prop, took it off to replace the bearings 3 months ago! I’ll fitting it in the snow at this rate

spooky_b329

Our last set saved my wife from a night on the A23…she’d sat all evening in traffic and did about 10 miles in four hours before properly grinding to a halt.

As they were shunting along she found a completely snow covered slip road, after some persuasion from me she went cross country and the biggest problem she had was maneuvering around all the stranded cars on the hills…mostly 4×4’s as they thought they could go the hilly route!

FWD Ford Fusion with Kleber Quadraxer All Seasons, they were definitely worth it that night. It may have taken her over 6 hours to do 40 miles and arrive home after midnight, but a lot of people spent the night in their cars.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Had my Michelin Cross Climate’s on since July and they’ve been ace in the wet/summer and still biting in -2C.

My car is rear wheel drive and makes me poop my pants with a grin while driving in winter.

cbike
    Free Member

I would have winter tyres but can’t afford to buy the scientific “control” car with or without winter tyres to follow me about everywhere so I can back up my driving war stories in massively different conditions concerning luck or lack of it.

We are all talking rubbish. Apart from the op. There is no doubt they will work better in snow.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Down south at least I’d say the ability to drive in snow is fairly pointless unless you’re out in the sticks, as the country shuts down at the slightest hint of a flake of snow, so nowhere will be open anyway.

Aside from that, never once had an issue with regular tyres in winter conditions other than snow, and tyres last me long enough to not care if the performance during colder months is fractionally worse.

Anyway, while down to near freezing this weekend, back up to 9C during the week in Surrey.

And screw it, if it snows, it’s a snow day. I can work from home or ride my bike, which works in all weather (and I don’t need spikes for the snow, a set of Minions work great on a fresh layer of snow 😀 ).

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I’ve had mud and snow tyres on my Ranger, then on my Amarok for the past three years.

It hasn’t snowed here for three years, but they are good in the mud. I’m tempted to put some summer tyres on this winter to see if it snows.

hora
    Free Member

This is the thing. Fit slicks and it’ll snowmageddon. Fit full on winters and sods law itll be the warmest winter ever ..

jam-bo

i bought an A3 quattro after two bad winters commuting across dartmoor. has barely snowed since.

andrw13
    Free Member

Can someone explain how changing to winter tyres works? I’d like to get some as I need to regularly drive down muddy tracks to collect logs.

I’ve a fair bit of wear left on my summer tyres and don’t want to bin them. If I change them to winter tyres do the garage give me the partly worn summer tyres To store over the winter and get them to refit in summer?

Do I need to buy a set of cheap wheels for the winter tyres so I can swap them myself?

feed

Stand to be corrected,
    Different rubber compound designed to give better grip at lower temp than Summer tyres. Wider and deeper tread pattern that is less likely to get clogged up with snow.
    Some folk get cheap wheels to put Winer tyres on so you can switch between summer \ winter wheels without having to go to a garage (and pay a garage).

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You can do either, new rims or keep swapping tyre.

A set of steelies used to be about 100-130 quid, so you don’t need to wait very long before swapping and balancing 4 tyres twice a year gets to that sort of money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 89 total)

The topic ‘Got my winter tyres fitted…’ is closed to new replies.