Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Got much snow in your area?
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

I'm in the SE where they forecast a big dump overnight. The media were banging on about severe weather all day yesterday. So far there have been less than 2 inches. As it has been so windy, most has probably blown away. I expect there will be a few snow drifts here and there, but this isn't severe weather.

I anticipate journalists out on location today, making plenty of banal comments throughout the whole day. The BBC will probably not feature much else on the news today. They'll be in "stuck on one story" mode as usual. I might check out Ceebeebies instead. It'll probably be more grown up than News 24!

Frankly, I wish we'd get weather like this more often so that people would get used to driving in slightly adverse conditions, but the big advantage would mean that a little bit of snow would no longer be considered newsworthy by the numbskulls who decide what news is aired to the public. This would mean journalists could then focus on reporting the news!

Thinking about it, you would have though all their hot air would prevent this type of weather. Maybe it's just journalist who have brought about "climate change"! 😀

fbk
    Free Member

Yep. Just woken up to the news and they're actually recommending you take a spade to "dig yourself out" if driving anywhere today 🙂

Nothing on the Welsh Borders this morning!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

2 inches in Farnborough, Hants, but I rang my manager this morning who lives in Kent (see THIS thread) and they have the best part of a foot of snow, all the roads are shut and he's staying home. Kent's got it pretty bad actually.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Half an hour ago there was no snow here in Northants. There's a fair bit now!

retro83
    Free Member

I'm in essex, looks like we've only got 1-2 inches of snow… undoubtedly everyone will be driving like complete plonkers tho

billybob
    Free Member

no snow & clear skies in Cornwall.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

plenty up here in the north of scotland

mudshark
    Free Member

Not too bad in Leatherhead but my manager's on holiday so my colleague and I have decided to work from home…I don't fancy going on the M25 up to J18 as it'll be bad for sure.

bruneep

Snow falls in winter. Shocker

roper
    Free Member

No snow on the Southern coast of Spain.
    Morocco looks a little cloudy and Gibraltar has had a bit of El Levante.

aP
    Free Member

The main problem in London is that there's very little redundancy in all transport systems so any small problem has a significant effect across a large area. The accident on the M25 last evening for example gridlocked Chiswick.
    The other problem is that a significant minority of drivers have no interest in anything outside their car and how their actions might affect anyone else. This means that cycling in conditions like this morning's become quite dangerous because you know that their are drivers who willnot make any allowance for the decreased grip on the roads.

gusamc
    Free Member

Reading-Basingstoke
    Side roads 2-3" – packing to ice …..
    Main roads – slush + running water, 30mph
    Bitter wind

mrmo
    Free Member

chester, cold clear blue skies, or would be if the sun was up.

mudshark
    Free Member

The accident on the M25 last evening for example gridlocked Chiswick.

What accident was that? I had a slow drive south from J18 yesterday evening but only saw a Ferrari being loaded onto a lorry – signs were saying car fire but I couldn't see anything.

vinnyeh

4 inches in the garden here, South London- but we're on the top of a hill, at, ooooh, 350 feet.

rOcKeTdOg

20cm on the NW Alps, very poor for the time of year, lifts will be open though wahooo!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Mendip – none (but that's no surprise, snow is rare here)

Too_Punk_To_Funk
    Free Member

A bit. But the most important bit is it is a snow day!!! Wahoo…
    No school for me 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

-4 over the Mendips this morning. Clear skies all the way to Yeovil too.

Although ABS saved me twice this morning on the icy yeovil back lanes! I just have to adjust to driving everyday to work rather than cycling. God i miss my old 8 mile bike commute!

nickegg
    Free Member

Snow wasn't rare in the Mendips last February!

trout
    Free Member

Upto Paddy the parsons do dah`s up here in Silsden Yorkshire

and a vid of his first encounter with the white fluffy stuff at 06.30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSLuuJ5mjvE

and as of 08.20

pinches
    Free Member

got about 3-4 inches here, in maidstone.

Turned up for work at 6, got sent home at half 7. only 4 people turned in to the whole place!

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Pah, none here in the South Lakes, though there may be some more inland.

Looks like I will have to go to work afterall!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I find this snow situation very bizarre. I live in the Highlands, on the west coast, and have been here a few years now. Whenever the whole country gets a good dump of snow, it seems to miss us. There's some very high up in the hills, which lasts quite a while, but not a lot, and only at the top of the highest ones. We seem to get less snow on the ground than the rest of the country! I'm sure there is a perfectly good meteorological explanation for it (temp, permanently sodden ground?), but it's not what I expected.

Cooroo
    Free Member

Couple of inches in Leeds, at least in Yeadon which is higher. Seems to be floating down again now…

IanMunro
    Free Member

Whoop! From work this morning! –
    "Staff, who have not been identified as essential services staff should remain at home. Where possible, staff are encouraged to continue working from home."

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I find this snow situation very bizarre. I live in the Highlands, on the west coast,

The reason is in your statement! You're in the WEST. Snow generally comes from the East, from Scandanavia. That's why East Anglia and Kent always get hit hard. 🙂

crazy-legs

A very thin dusting here (S. Manchester), just enough to be bloody annoying, not enough to be fun.
    I got the train in this morning anyway cos it's the works Christmas outing this afternoon.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I had noticed that, but it's still not fair 😥

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

30cm this side of the NW Alps rocketdog – will be making use of the new Col d'Barnt gondalo to access the upper slopes!

lowey

Rather surprisingly, we have a couple of inches in Bolton. I didnt think it would make it over the pennines. Bitterly cold though.

Cant wait for Sundays ride.

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

Brighton, Top of Dyke Road this morning. pretty slow going. turned around and now going to do some work at home. But then I work in Guildford, and don't have anything i need to be in the office for today anyway.

Good fun sliding around in a car though 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Several inches here in P'boro. Imagine it will turn to slush quite quickly.

takisawa2

Nowt here in Lichfield.
    Suns out from what bit of the sky I can see from my desk. 🙂

will
    Free Member

Nowt in Leicester either 🙁

jon1973
    Free Member

Frankly, I wish we'd get weather like this more often so that people would get used to driving in slightly adverse conditions, but the big advantage would mean that a little bit of snow would no longer be considered newsworthy by the numbskulls who decide what news is aired to the public. This would mean journalists could then focus on reporting the news!

The snow probably impacts my life more than the BA strike was ever going to but I still had to listen to that story ad-nauseum for the last week.

What story would you have liked to have seen covered today?

The truth is that it doesn't snow that often, so when it does snow it IS news, especially if it brings some parts of the country to a standstill.

john_drummer
    Free Member

2 inches in Baildon, not that far from Silsden (above) but only a dusting in Barnsley

spooky_b329

It is news though isn't it. It may only be an inch around here, but it still means many roads are impassable to normal cars.

Our Punto can't get 5 metres from its parking spot, (in 1" of snow) so we abandoned it and took my rwd van which has chunky mud and snow tyres instead, it only spun the wheels when I gave it a prod of the loud pedal to provoke it. Everyone else is having to reverse down the hill…its not even steep.

flipiddy
    Free Member

About 6 inches here in Tunbridge Wells, Kent

Very few cars on the roads at 8.30am

badnewz
    Free Member

Hertfordshire, about 3 inches here. All fell between 7 and 12 last night.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Got much snow in your area?’ is closed to new replies.