Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • got lump on me foot
  • white101

went to the docs last week cos a small lump has appeared on me right foot next to the big toe knuckle. He says its a ganglion or cyst and I can do either of the following

a) leave it alone (not an option, it rubs on me new spd's)
    b) have surgery to remove (sounds good to me)
    c) hit it with a large heavy book and it will hurt burst & disappear ( not an option, I'm a soft shite)

rang up for appointment today, got to see consultant next month and then wait a month for op 🙁

Has anybody had similar? will it burst? it hurts to the touch and can throb a bit. Bothers me when riding in my new boots which is a pain

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yep, had mine removed a few years ago. No, it won't burst – mine caused me no problems other than rubbing on my cycling shoes. Simple op – I wore sandals for about a week afterwards and since then no problems at all.

Cougar

If it is a cyst, then even if you were to have surgery there's a chance it'll regrow.

On the other hand, there's a good chance that it'll just bugger off on its own if you leave it alone.

No idea about ganglions, other than the aliens in Dark Skies.

Cougar

Aha.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganglion_cyst

"An out-dated method of treating a ganglion cyst was supposedly to strike the lump with a large heavy book… This type of treatment is not recommended by some doctors as it can damage the area around the cyst and may have a higher recurrence rate than aspiration or excision."

Don't do that, then. And, have your blood pressure checked.

Cougar

And, given that I got pulled up last time,

I am not a doctor. This is advice "as I understand it," I could be wrong. Your milage may vary. Values may go up as well as down. Do not fold, spindle or mutilate.

white101

the doc printed off something from a website that said,

'some prefer the traditional method of hitting the cyst with a large book, traditionally a large family sized bible to remove the offending growth'

I'm not trying that even if God is on my side. And we only have family size boxes of cereal at my gaff and defeating an ungodly cyst with 650gram box of rice krispies ain't gonna do much good

Cougar

If you don't have a bible to hand, use another book and then shout "f'kin jesus christ!"

GrahamS

hit it with a large heavy book and it will hurt burst & disappear

😯 Won't hurt a bit:

roundwheels
    Free Member

I had 2, 1 at the point where the hand meets the wrist and the other at the top part of my middle finger both disapered never to be seen again

MikeWW
    Free Member

I had 2 on the wrist
    First time went karting and it disappeared
    2 nd time just hit it with a big book and it did the job

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Had one on my little finger. Got it removed surgically (worst part is getting the local) but it came back about four years later. Had it removed surgically again by a different surgeon who seems to have done a better job. He removed a little bit of arthritic bone from the finger joint at the same time which he thought was rubbing on the joint capsule and causing the ganglion.

They used to hit these with bibles so you could try that (any heavy book will do if you don't have a bible handy) but chances are it'll come back.

You might have to wait a while for an op on the NHS.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I would have it removed……… just in case there was a maggot living in it………..heard that somewhere.

GrahamS

just in case there was a maggot living in it………..heard that somewhere.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=940_1205955519

Botfly larvae.. nice

trout
    Free Member

This is a good one

I had a ganglion on my wrist which was caused the doc said by me using a stanley knife all day long ( Carpet fitter)
    didnt cause me any problems cepting folk kept noticing it .

so I had it removed at the same time as I had the snip under a general anesthetic .
    Mrs Trout was with me when the doc came to have a look before the op but only mentioned the wrist , and when he finished and was going out she said scuse me but you havent forgotten the vasectomy have you to which the doc smiled and nodded .

about 6 months later the damn ganglion came back so we wondered if the tubes had also reconnected down below .

then one night watching tv I was messing with the lump and pressed on it with my thumb and it burst with a very audible crack and went all squishy it has never made a return now 11 years later .

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Botfly larvae.. nice

I thought the Botfly larvae lived up your arse ? 😕

See……you can't believe everything you hear down the pub 😐

carbon337
    Free Member

THink yourself lucky – I've had a pea size lump on my knob for the last week.

Turned out it was an in grown hair – was crapping myself reading about penile cancer.

mikey.b
    Free Member

I had a ganglion on my toe about ten years ago, Doctor suggested the bang it theory but said he would try draining it with a syringe and big needle no need for an op and never had any problems since. 🙂

smoothchicken

MTFU and hit with a book! 😆 My granny did this to hers a few times and always worked, not sure if it contributed to her arthritis though….

Cougar

If she had to do it more than once, I'd argue that it didn't work at all. Unless they were in different places, that is.

Bunnyhop

I had one a few weeks ago. The young duty doctor called in a much more experienced doctor, who proceeded to press it quite firmly with his thumb, there was a cracking noise and voila gone.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘got lump on me foot’ is closed to new replies.