Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Got a Jailbroken iPhone? Read this…..
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Well it was bound to happen.

The first worm to infect the Apple iPhone has been discovered spreading "in the wild" in Australia.
    The self-propagating program changes the phone's wallpaper to a picture of 80s singer Rick Astley with the message "ikee is never going to give you up".

Source: bbc.co.uk

…anyways to negate the worm from working, follow these instructions:

Q: How to change the dedault password?

A: Simple, if you are on a Jailbroken iPhone, make sure that you immediately change your iPhone password from ‘alpine’ to something else. Here is how to change your iPhone password via OpenSSH with the following instructions:

Install MobileTerminal.app on your iPhone via Cydia.
    Launch MobileTerminal.app. Type su then tap return.
    You will be now asked to enter current password. Type alpine then tap return.
    You can now change your password. Type passwd then tap return.
    Type your new password. Type then tap return .
    Retype new password. Retype then tap return.

Done! Your iPhone should be more safe now.

Source: phonenano.net & iphonebyimuggle.blogspot.com

DrJ

Yep – under the headline "Apple iPhone infected by new variant of 'Rickrolling' " – giving the impression that it is something serious.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Right that's it, I'm going back to Microsoft.

CountZero

Read this on an RSS feed this morning. It was developed by an unemployed software engineer who was concerned about people who jailbreak iPhones without changing passwords. Apparently his phone infected around 100 others in a short space of time, so he proved his point. Apple are unconcerned, in fact, apparently quietly pleased, 'cos it proved their point that jailbreaking an iPhone can cause security issues. No problem here, mine does just what I want it to do, there are more apps out there than I can put on the phone, so I can't see the point or be arsed to screw around with it. Just hope the next version is a 64Gb capacity, my 16Gb is running out of space…

davidrussell
    Free Member

will it overwrite my current Rick Astley wallpaper?

GrahamS

Interesting that this came out at exactly the same time that Apple are reportedly cracking down on jailbroken iPhones.

One might suggest that he had been rewarded by a large corporation for his efforts.

http://lifehacker.com/5400307/worm-hits-jailbroken-iphones-apple-plans-jailbreak-crackdown

chopperT
    Free Member

Sorry, explain "jailbroken"?

Onzadog
    Free Member

it must be tosh. Apple products can't get a virus

GrahamS

Sorry, explain "jailbroken"?

If you need to ask then you're not in any danger from this.

Jailbreaking is a hack that allows iPhones to run any apps (including viruses), rather than just the Apple sanctioned ones from App Store.

samuri
    Free Member

The self-propagating program changes the phone's wallpaper to a picture of 80s singer Rick Astley with the message "ikee is never going to give you up".

Sounds like a cry for help if you ask me, this software engineer chap is hopelessly in torment. It would take a strong, strong man to admit it but I believe he wants to move right out immediately.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Got a Jailbroken iPhone? Read this…..’ is closed to new replies.