Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gorse proof long finger gloves.. do they exist?
  • nickhit3
    Free Member

I tend to ride in areas that often suffer from overgrown gorse/thorn bushes at various times of year- and brushing past them at speed is mostly unavoidable. Not unusual for MTB. For 20+ years no glove I’ve worn has stopped my hands becoming pin cushions. TLD Air and Royal Quantum are amazingly comfortable and don’t pretend to be anything other than light weight summer gloves but has anyone found a glove with a tougher construction..? Bit of a First world MTB problem but curious if anyone has remedied this issue?

scaled
    Free Member

Nothing is gorse proof NOTHING!!!

In my experience anyway – something with a decent D30 pad on the back might help though

longmover
    Free Member

Hand guards

Sam Hill uses them so they must be cool!

core

tall_martin

I have some dianese dh gloves with a thick foam over the back of the hand.

Good for accidently punching rocks and bramble, nettle and gorse proof:-)

They are 10 years old now so not in their range now.

nickhit3
    Free Member

seriously considering those red ones. useful for young daughter decontamination. cheers.

captmorgan
    Free Member

welshfarmer

wwaswas

I’d go for the suede/leather ones above over the red rubber. It’s fairly easy for thorns to get stuck in the rubber and work their way through.

Seriously – motorcycle gloves might have enough armour but you’ll get a bit sweaty…

nedrapier

so enduro:

Seriously considering some. I don’t like wearing gloves, but I don’t like knuckles full of gorse very much either.

Edit: when I say seriously, there’s no way I’m putting them on my bike, despite thinking they’re a good idea.

nickhit3
    Free Member

yeah, the hand guards are quite tempting. I’m no ‘enduro-bro’ though so dgaf about whether they’re fashionable or not- only interested in a solution here.

nedrapier

to be fair, if I was an enduro bro, I’d be happier with them on my bike. My bikes are steel hardtails or rigid, and I don’t ride with pads, so it’d look a bit odd riding with handguards, especially with gorse and bramble scratches over my unprotected calves and forearms!

nickhit3
    Free Member

to be fair, if I was an enduro bro, I’d be happier with them on my bike. My bikes are steel hardtails or rigid, and I don’t ride with pads, so it’d look a bit odd riding with handguards, especially with gorse and bramble scratches over my unprotected calves and forearms!

That’s interesting actually, I would argue that on the right hard tail, they’d look fine. Seems like they’re a marmite option for most riders in spite of seemingly having a genuine functional benefit. Such is the way in MTB..

For me its definitely the hands that are the issue- I’ve had the odd infected splinter from a trail brush with scrub and whilst not a huge issue, it’s a bummer and can be painful.

scuttler

Red ones are about £3.50 from screwfix and well worth having around for anything toxic.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gorse proof long finger gloves.. do they exist?’ is closed to new replies.