Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gore-tex jacket – washing advice please
  • wl
    Free Member

I’ll be washing my Gore-tex Paclite riding jacket in that Nikwax Techwash stuff, but do people recommend the wash-in proofer or the spray-on proofer for once the jacket is clean? Any tips for keeping it clean, waterproof and breathable? Ta.

somouk
    Free Member

I tend to use the wash in stuff, will get in to the seams and all over the jacket properly compared to the spray on.

I find spray on/paint on works better for big flat surfaces like tents.

dknwhy

I always use the wash in one. Just easier and doesn’t make as much mess.

Brilliant stuff btw. I use it on my pertex jacket too as it helps bead water….

wl
    Free Member

Cheers for these. Wash-in looks easier to me so I’ll give it a go. One thing I don’t get – doesn’t the proofing stuff interfere with breathability?

cultsdave
    Free Member

Dry your jacket on the radiator after using the wash in stuff. Heat really helps activate the DWR proofer.
    The proofer will slightly affect the breathability but it will not be noticable compared to the other option of having the outer surface properly wetted out. Any jacket that is fully waterproof is not very breathable no matter what the manufactures say.

johnnystorm

Give your washing machine a run on the super boil wash cycle before hand to flush as much old detergent and crap out.

devash
    Free Member

I’ve always used the wash-in stuff, and have always had great results with it on my cycling, hiking and snowboarding gear.

I usually drip dry my gear until its almost dry, then bung it in the tumble dryer for 20-30 minutes to finish it off. As cultsdave says the heat helps to reactivate the DWR proofer. The Goretex website says its ok to tumble dry and I’ve never had any issues.

One thing that was recommended to me by my local hiking shop was to run the machine empty on a 60 or 90 degrees cycle before you wash with the Techwash. This is supposed to clean out any traces of washing powder / fabric softer residue, as both of these can really ruin waterproof fabrics.

EDIT: johnnystorm beat me to it. 🙂

nickc

You can safely use pretty much any liquid detergent that hasn’t got fabric softeners, conditions, stain remover or a bleaching agent in it. don’t spin it. I’ve heard some advise to rinse a second time after the wash.

heating it on a radiator or a gentle 20 min tumble dry will reactivate the coating.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gore-tex jacket – washing advice please’ is closed to new replies.