Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Gore Ride On gear cable – long enough for full outer?
  • sam_underhill

According to the website the “extra long” pack includes 3m of outer. Is this enough for a full outer for both front and rear mech on a medium ish sized bike? Doesn’t sound like that’s enough.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The extra long sets fitted my medium flux fine, both gears and brakes.

dickie
    Free Member

Whats the point of running expensive cable full length?

Get two good stainless inners, 3-4m off outer & 3 Middleburn cable oilers.
    I run an oiler 2″-3″ from each shifter, & an oiler on the chainstay to the rear mech.
    Every couple of washes see’s a good blast of GT85 into each oiler – been running fine since installation Xmas 2009, on a large Turner DW Flux.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Whats the point of running expensive cable full length?

So that there’s never any need for this:

Get two good stainless inners, 3-4m off outer & 3 Middleburn cable oilers.
    I run an oiler 2″-3″ from each shifter, & an oiler on the chainstay to the rear mech.
    Every couple of washes see’s a good blast of GT85 into each oiler – been running fine since installation Xmas 2009, on a large Turner DW Flux.

Instead, you get this:

Install cable set, ride bike. Ride bike some more, repeat, etc..

binners

The whole point of Gore Ride-on cables is that you have a fully sealed system without the need to use full length outers. The seal is round the inner cable. The effect is the same

I can vouch for how good they are. Fit’em and forget ’em. Literally. They’re brilliant!!!

dickie
    Free Member

Yes, I suppose if a shot of GT85 is too much for you too do, the Gore’s are better if a lot more expensive.
    I used to use Gore cables years ago but found the outer stiff & after a while it creaked, although given the price now the outer must be much better given the huge price increase?

Binners your right – so I offered a cheaper same effect alternative to full length Gore outer.

wwaswas

I think if you have to run full length outers due to the way your cable stops are designed then Gore’s probably not the one for you.

easiest way to check on outer length is either measure what you have already or use a piece of string to mock up cable path and then measure that.

sam_underhill

I did think after posting this question that I’m probably just as well using SP41 for full outers with shimano end cap thingies.

But thanks anyway.

mr_mills
    Free Member

I’ve got the extra long Gore kit on my Spitfire and there was more than enough to do full length outers front and rear. Shifting has been great since I fitted it a few months ago.

imp999
    Free Member

I have got the Flying “something” mudlovers full lengthers and they work well.
    They have a full length small diameter outer running in standard lengths of brake cable outer from frame lug to frame lug .

nicko74

To the OP – dumb question, but could you not go for the full on Gore experience and get the cable/inner/outer setup? It precludes the need for full-length outers.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Yes, I suppose if a shot of GT85 is too much for you too do…

You’re absolutely right that it’s too much for me. It’s much better to fit a full length of cable that doesn’t ever need cleaning or lubricating. Spraying lube into a cable is also counter-productive, as it’ll eventually dry out and need removing and replacing – creating a never-ending process of maintenance. Utterly pointless unless you have way too much spare time.

Outer cable doesn’t have to be expensive, it just has to be well-routed and cleanly cut; but a single outer is, in terms of maintenance and performance, superior in every way to split systems, no matter what oilers/sprays you attempt to fettle them with.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Could you not go for the full on Gore experience and get the cable/inner/outer setup? It precludes the need for full-length outers.

The inners have are embedded with silicone and need the inner sleeve to work properly. It prevents the silicone from degradation caused by friction with the inside of the outer cable. Most outers have a thin plastic liner, but it can easily break down under the friction from the inner cable. A Gore inner could become damaged quite quickly in an outer that poor/no outer liner.

sam_underhill

So there is an argument that the Gore cables as a full length run may be smoother than many cables, but are clearly an over kill for the elimination of muck ingress. As such I might stick with SP41 which has served me well in the past (even as interupted runs) and are pretty smooth running especially with the coated xtr cables as well.

nicko74

<technical mumbo jumbo that’s beyond me>The inners have are embedded with silicone and need the inner sleeve to work properly. It prevents the silicone from degradation caused by friction with the inside of the outer cable. Most outers have a thin plastic liner, but it can easily break down under the friction from the inner cable. </technical mumbo jumbo that’s beyond me> A Gore inner could become damaged quite quickly in an outer that poor/no outer liner.

Yeah, the Gore inner “could” become damaged quite quickly, but seems not to. I’ve got the full on setup with inner liner and short outers, and had no problems for getting on for 3 years.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is it just me or do the modern gore cables seem to not last as well as the first generation? My old ones lasted about 5 years. These have only just managed a year.

coatesy
    Free Member

Onzadog +1.Used them for years with no trouble previously,but with the new ones you’re lucky to get a year in my experience, bought two sets when they finally made a re-appearance,used them on the rear only. First one went too stiff to use within two months,second managed about six weeks(Wiggle were good enough to refund in full+goodwill voucher).Gave the second set away to somebody on here as it wasn’t worth fitting them with such a short lifespan.Full SP41 with sealed Shimano caps running for about a year before I changed them.(seem to remember telling you they’re pants when you asked about them)

Onzadog
    Free Member

Me specifically? I’m not normally that bad at taking advice, especially from someone who knows their stuff.

coatesy
    Free Member

Nah, think we were both involved in somebody else’s thread.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Gore Ride On gear cable – long enough for full outer?’ is closed to new replies.