Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gore Phantom II zips
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Anyone find that theirs has given up the ghost?

Does anywhere do zip repairs any more? I don’t really want to fork out for a new jacket, just because of the zip.

br
    Free Member

Had one sleeve zip and then the main replaced by our local dry-cleaner – not cheap but cheaper than a new jacket.

But mine is at least 5 years old and severely hammered.

ac282

My zip failed. You can get zips for a few £. All you need is a mum who is good with a sewing machine 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

Did you buy direct from Gore? They have a lifetime repair thingy on their website take a look on tgstore.

Pembo
    Free Member

Rubbish quality zips on an otherwise brilliant product. Had a new zip put in mine at the local clothes alteration shop, cost £35 but better than a new jacket.

Kevevs
    Free Member

yes! had mine 18 months now and use it a fair bit, zip is going at the bottom where you put it together, keeps opening up. Not that inpressed considering I have proper old/cheap tops that zip up perfectly well. Otherwise I think it’s ace. I don’t often have a hundred quid odd to spare to buy a luxury like a high quality cycling jacket, so I spent bloody ages and ages researching them, I don’t recall reviews saying the zips were shite though otherwise I’dve bought something else. I’m proper impressed with my aldi warterproof top at £19.99 though IT EVEN ZIPS UP!

FuzzyWuzzy

Not had a problem with the zips on mine, I’d certainly be contacting Gore if they did go though rather than paying for a repair

alfabus
    Free Member

I have 2 phantom IIs.. one of them (the older one) has a bit of a dodgy zip now.

I find that zips on mountain bike kit last longer if you do them up before putting htem in the washing machine.

Dave

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies folks. I’ll have a scooch around here in town and see if I can get a new zip put on.

I will check out the Gore website and see, but I didn’t buy it direct from Gore, and therefore it may not be covered.

neninja
    Free Member

My Phantom 2 zip has been problematic from only a few weeks after I bought it. The plastic stiffening bit at the bottom split so it’s tricky to do up now.

I keep meaning to get it sorted under warranty but have lived with it for 18 months now.

An excellent jacket but much too warm for me in anything other than cold days so strictly a late Autumn, Winter, early Spring jacket.

alfabus
    Free Member

strictly a late Autumn, Winter, early Spring jacket.

so you are limited to almost the whole year then? 😉

Dave

RichPenny
    Free Member

To be fair, this year it is actually the entire year 🙂

My phantom zips are fine btw.l

charliemort

there’s a recommended repairer on the GORE website

I had one fixed for about £25 after about 5 years use

E_G

Pembo – Member
    Rubbish quality zips on an otherwise brilliant product. Had a new zip put in mine at the local clothes alteration shop, cost £35 but better than a new jacket.

I completely agree. I’m not sure if they have changed the design on newer models, but the zip on the Phantom II I bought a few years ago (late 2007?) was not durable enough, and failed after 2 years. Took the jacket to Customer Services at the Gore fabric plant in Livingston, got a letter back advising it was not a fault and provided details of authorised Repair Centres. I even called them afterwards and they didn’t agree they jacket should have a stronger zip, so I took it to SMG (on the list above) who did a great job at putting a meatier zip on (cost £25 from memory) and it’s been fine since.

Any shops which do clothing alterations should be able to change the zip; I went to SMG because I sold their stuff previously and expected a neat job, which I got.

I can understand why the removeable arms have lightweight zips, but does seem a strange design decision with their choice of main zip!

I’d buy another again as it’s a brilliant, versatile item of clothing but I’d double check that they have addressed the flimsy zip!

E

mikey74
    Free Member

Just contacted the one on the Gore website and they said it could take up to 21 days for the repair. It’s my only jacket and I use it everyday, so need it back fairly quickly.

I have also spoken to a local dry cleaners who do repairs, and they don’t do waterproof zips.

E_G

Mikey

It may be worthwhile going back to your dry cleaners. Perhaps they don’t do zips on waterproof jackets as they can’t tape them to keep them waterproof?

You could explain to them that the jacket has a windproof membrane, not waterproof, so doesn’t need to be taped, so could they still do it?

E

mikey74
    Free Member

They said that the zip itself was waterproof and that they couldn’t get them. There are a few other places I can try though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Gore Phantom II zips’ is closed to new replies.