Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • GoPro positioning
  • spyke85
    Free Member

Got a GoPro and only just started playing with it.

Trying to get it mounted by the rear wheel axle for a cool angle, but seems very close to the wheel. Anyone have any tips and how to mount it?

Keando

There is a fixing that replaces the nut on a std QR so that you can clamp the Gopro to that. Looks a bit like a BMX stunt peg.

cakefacesmallblock

On dry trails I put mine on the seatpost, just above the clamp.
    Please note: Not always successful in mud. Not for long anyway.

carlosg
    Free Member

Copy chest mounts can be had on eBay for under £4 posted. My riding style dictates that anything fixed to the bike is going to get broken off.

philb88
    Free Member

Seat Rail mount, or Chest mount give a good field of vision.

Trying to fashion a mount down on the rear stay to avoid foot strikes but point forward at the moment

STATO
    Free Member

I have used a chest mount (copy) a few times and to get stable footage it needs to be really tight, so much so I find it quite uncomfortable and have to unclip it on climbs to breathe.

I use one of these capturePOV clips now (although again mine is a copy). Fitted to a rucksack shoulder strap its unobtrusive and by cinching down the bag chest strap for descents its just as stable as the go-pro chesty for general riding, with the bonus its simple to slacken the chest strap on my rucksack compared to the chesty.

For DH riding, jumps or ‘stunts’ the chesty will be a better option but the capture mount is really good for days out as it keeps the camera handy and gets good footage.

As another option I found you could get some really good footage from ‘the hip’, i.e. wear the go-pro chesty as a belt with the camera low on your hip. Really good perspective, just watch you don’t clip any trees 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a bag of various mounts you can buy from Amazon and elsewhere that includes a clone chesty plus an extendable “stick”. I’ve used the latter on non technical stuff to give a sort of “tracking drone” effect looking down on the rider in front.

If you are going out filming then you need to allow time to set up shots and be prepared to ride parts of the trail multiple times to get a variety of shots or even a good shot. Then you need to edit it all – a single shot lasting several minutes isn’t exactly riveting watching 😳

philb88
    Free Member

Stato – Which copy mount do you have of the Capture, as £50 odd is a bit excessive!

mattkkitch

My favourite angle is wearing the chesty backwards, I find if you position the camera as far back as it goes it generally captures the rider behind if they maintain a fairly close but comfortable distance. It’s really good for getting photos too if you set it to take one every some many seconds.

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve got a VIRB rather than GoPro but got a wrist mount with it and that seems to be pretty good for attaching to various parts of the bike. It’s just a Velcro wrap around. Another option is I’ve got a bar mount but it basically will clamp to any bar type thing so may fit other parts of the bike.

At present I wouldn’t bother though, not until it dries out enough, else mud splat within a few seconds.

Chest mounts are not an option with my VIRB as it’s the classic design and not suited for chest. Though I’m bored of chest mount footage and it seems hard to make it stable. Oddly my bar mount has turned out to be way more stable than I expected.

Tried knocking up a backpack strap mount when skiing for a shoulder mount. Groomed pistes were fine but anything lumpy or off piste and it just bounced up and down.

STATO
    Free Member

philb88 – Member

Stato – Which copy mount do you have of the Capture, as £50 odd is a bit excessive!

I first heard about the Capture a while back, maybe kickstarter? anyway I forgot about it then stumbled on this and thought it was the same company finally reduced the price so bought one, have since seen them on ebay for cheap too. Only realised afterwards when I saw an advert for the Capture on sports-pursuit that it was a different company. They look identical from pictures, so guess its the same thing bought direct from overseas.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘GoPro positioning’ is closed to new replies.