Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gopro Hero 3 Black v 3+ Silver
  • johnny_met
    Free Member

Both cameras are now a similar price – before I buy, is the older 3 Black better than the newer 3+ Silver or have the upgrades to the 3+ Silver superseded it? Any experiences of both?

Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

if you search the older threads on this I think I posted some comparison vids (you can find them by googling your question) also there are some good comparison articles on it and the GoPro site has some tables on stats

Superficial
    Free Member

I guess they’re slightly different things.

The newer Silver one is smaller, with better battery life and almost as good performance.
    The older Black edition has the advantage of 4k resolution but many of the other filming modes that were exclusive the black one (1080px60fps, 720x120fps) are now available on the Silver. The Black also had some fairly serious problems with battery life. I’m not sure if these are fixed.

I find it hard to believe that anyone bar professionals could “need” the 4k resolution features. The Silver one produces stunning HiRes footage that looks amazing on my laptop or Vimeo / Youtube etc. 720p @ 60fps is more than enough for this. I’d probably recommend the Silver for better battery life and a smaller package, with all the recording modes you could realistically want. I believe you can buy the new smaller case and it’ll still fit the older camera.

In fact, I’ve got the GoPro Hero 3 (not plus) Silver and if you can get that for significantly less I suspect it’ll be all the camera you’ll ever need.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

The higher resolutions of the hero 3 black aren’t worth the extra cash it costs IMO.

The best setting I’ve found is the 1080 or 760 ones and these are probably both on the silver hero 3 as well as hero 3+

I bought. Black but before I had any understanding of the resolution differences. If I bought one now, I’d be buying a silver.

If I were you, I’d go for the silver hero+ as it will have all the resolution you need and a better battery life etc.

Google Abe Kislevitz for an understanding on go pro resolutions. He did the Hero go pro introduction video shoot a few years ago and there are a few pages on his site that are very helpful.

Whichever go pro you get, budget for spare batteries. The cheap ones off Amazon are perfectly good for much less than the go pro genuine article in my experience.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Thinking of a 3+ silver myself.

Any deals to be had?

allfankledup

sportpursuit are selling some sort of GoPros at the moment

I’ve not looked tooo closely as I’ve spent enough this week and blew up my lights last night…

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/gopro-3-plus-silver-edition.html

£280 here which seems to be RRP.

But 2 x batteries & charger free worth £35.

Mmm, tempting! 🙂

peacefulparsnip
    Free Member

3+ silver doesn’t support protune for some reason. Battery life will be better though

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gopro Hero 3 Black v 3+ Silver’ is closed to new replies.