Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Goosed XT freehub
  • martinhutch

My freehub decided to stop playing halfway across Barden Moor this afternoon, and although it started working on and off after that, I’m guessing it’s a goner, especially as it’s been grumbling for a while.

M756 I think, at least four years old – am I likely to have any compatability problems buying a new one and swapping out the freehub and internals?

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Just buy a new freehub and give the hub a service with some new bearings while its all stripped out.

johnnywhitesox
    Free Member

There are a couple of different XT freehubs so check the shimano tech docs for numbers. I have an XT FH-M756 2007 freehub and last time I replaced it with an FH-M570 freehub body code number Y2BD98010, I’m pretty sure it’s listed as one for an LX hub. For some reason they worked out a lot cheaper than the M756 despite being the same part code.
    I have kept the component card in my wallet from last time I replaced it so I’m sure of the bit I need for next time.

martinhutch

Thanks. Looking at the prices of M756 freehubs, I might as well buy a new hub for £4 more and replace all the internals. I’ll have a look for a cheaper alternative.

EDIT: Thanks – tenner cheaper than what was popping up on my search.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Looking at the prices of M756 freehubs, I might as well buy a new hub for £4 more and replace all the internals.

I did this with a deore hub many moons ago, in fact I think the now empty hub shell is rolling around in my spares box.

leffeboy

Funnily enough I’m doing exactly the same this week. Check a few of the online boys for prices as it seems to vary widely.i think it went up by 10 eur on crc last week for some reason. I ended up with bike24 as I was getting other stuff from them anyway. Getting a complete hub and stripping the parts makes complete sense as its getting more difficult to find stuff like ball bearings now

martinhutch

So what do folk reckon – freehub only at £22 or full hub for £32 so I can swap out the bearings etc too?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

New hub and strip. If the freehubs toast, then the chances of the bearings and cone being any better on the driveside is not worth the risk for a tenner. All those new seals as well. You will need a vice to clamp the hub, while you undo the freehub on the unbuilt hub.

martinhutch

Quick question…is it a 14mm allen key or a 10mm to remove the freehub body?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Goosed XT freehub’ is closed to new replies.