Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Google maps bicycling layer
  • Garry_Lager

Anyone looked at this layer on google maps? Think it came out in the uk earlier this year.

Seems to be a work in progress, some funny routes on there. A dark green line represents a dedicated cycle path, and kinder scout in the Peak is networked with them 🙂
    Is that someone taking the pish, or is it some sort of google algorithm trying to extract path data from an os map?

Be interesting if it developed into a usable route resource – must be the most popular online map by a mile.

labsey
    Free Member

Noticed it the other day. Seems like it could be a good tool. Not sure how it works.

DrP

It doesn’t differentiate between on/off road….

DrP

orena45

Was unveiled last month in the UK and is still a work in progress. At the moment it’s mainly just Sustrans National Cycle Network routes. If you see any dodgy route suggestions then report it and help make it better 🙂

colournoise

Used it for the first time yesterday. Obviously still in beta but pretty good for the route I wanted. Even if it can’t find dedicated cycle routes it seems to choose less busy/minor roads?

On a 30 mile route it only made one dodgy choice which was luckily in an area I knew well enough to make my own (more rideable) choice instead.

Could be ace further on in the development cycle.

slainte 8) rob

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Google maps bicycling layer’ is closed to new replies.