Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Google Home mini
  • muttley109
    Free Member

Has anyone got a google home mini yet? Mine’s due to be delivered this afternoon.

I use the google assistant on my phone and in my car and so far i’m very impressed. I like the idea of having it in the house for radio/music and i’m looking forward to finding out what I can get it to do altogether.
    I realise the sound isn’t going to be the best but its a cheap way of seeing it it works well at home. I’ll probably end up getting a normal one or a max version when it released.

trailwagger
    Free Member

I have two normal google homes. Love them.

I use it primarily for music, but also for

Reading recipes,
    setting timers whilst cooking,
    Controlling hue lights,
    Controlling nest thermostat,
    asking questions (obviously)
    finding my phone
    setting reminders
    weather reports
    news reports
    traffic reports
    etc etc

muttley109
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at the other things it can do and like the idea of the hue lights. Can you set them to turn on in the morning like an alarm clock?
    Also, how do you get it to read recipes?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Reading recipes……

search for a recipe on google assistant on your phone/tablet. Then click to send it to the home speaker.

Now you say “Hey Google start cooking”. it will pause after each step (something alexa cant do) and you tell it when you are ready to move on, “hey google, next step”

Hue Lights,

I set them to come on very low at alarm rime and gradually get brighter over a ten minute period (its a very nice gradual way to wake up). You don’t need GH or Alexa to do this.

Howerver I can say “hey google, goodnight” and know that every light in the house will be turned off without having to walk around every room turning them off manually.

You can also set patterns for the lights to come on whilst your on holiday, giving the illusion that you are home.

I also link mine to my nest smoke alarms. If there is an alarm all the hue lights turn on and go red. Very useful to help the kids get out in the middle of the night if we ever had an emergency.

molgrips
    Free Member

More interested in how it compares to Echo tbh.

I also link mine to my nest smoke alarms. If there is an alarm all the hue lights turn on and go red.

That’s awesome. Can you get it to go ‘Evacuate, evacuate. Make your way to the nearest escape pod” as well?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Havnt tried, but I would think so using either ifttt or assistant shortcuts

muttley109
    Free Member

That’s awesome. Can you get it to go ‘Evacuate, evacuate. Make your way to the nearest escape pod” as well?

I now need mine to do this! so now i need lights and smoke alarms 😀

muttley109
    Free Member

Reading recipes……

search for a recipe on google assistant on your phone/tablet. Then click to send it to the home speaker.

Searching for recipes through google assistant on my phone doesn’t give me the option to send to google home.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Searching for recipes through google assistant on my phone doesn’t give me the option to send to google home.

Do you have the home app installed?

gwaelod
    Free Member

Dave ..I’m afraid there’s a problem

muttley109
    Free Member

Yep, the home app is installed. Seems the assistant built into the phone wont do it but searches through chrome do.

Maybe my phone needs an update

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Google Home mini’ is closed to new replies.